which clip?

xoxalicexox

Visit site
heya, sorry its another "which clip" post,
ive got a 15.1 irish cob and he gets really really wooly in the winter, when i ride he gets really sweaty and takes ages to dry off!!, last year i had his neck and belly off which was better but i still dont think it will be enough, the problem is he lives out 24/7. what do you think the max that i could take off would be? hes got good rugs and will have field shelter etc, i just dont want him to be cold
crazy.gif
. thanks xxxx

Irishcobs

Visit site
I have two Irish cobs that live out 24/7 as well and they both get very hairy. I'm given both of them full clips (legs kept on) for the first clip before they get too hairy and blown up my clippers (happened last year!) and then may change to a blanket for the rest of the winter.
Last year they both had blanket clips but the hair on they're bum was so thick it took till may for them to loose it all.

xoxalicexox

Visit site
heya thanks,, was thinking about doing that,, have u clipped yours out already? mine has already got mud fever too!!! do u always leave their legs on? ive had mixed views. xxx

Irishcobs

Visit site
Not yet, will probably clip them first week in Oct.
My two are traditionals so I leave the legs on to keep the feathers I also find that if I competely leave their legs, don't wash them, leave them covered in mud etc right through the winter they don't get mud fever and infact the mud and wetness doesn't even get through their feathers so they are still lovely and white underneath.

xoxalicexox

Visit site
i think im going to have to clip his legs off as hes already got mud fever and his legs are already clipped from camp. its much easier to deal with if there arn't lots of feathers in the way!!! if i get it cleared up before the mud comes im going to let his feathers grow out.x

Stella

Visit site
My mare gets a very heavy coat and lives out. I will be giving her a full clip, including legs for the first clip, and rugging her in a heavyweight Fal interactive rug. For the second clip, I will leave legs on (as it will be colder then and taking them off at the first one will make them more reasonable) and I may do a blanket clip on the body.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Well my nativey types (who compete through the winter) get hunter clips. My TBreddy boy gets a blanket clip as he's a bit woosier.

All mine live out 24/7 with access to stables, are well fed and will have big cosy combo rugs on! Ive never had a problem with any of mine getting cold even though their clipped. Ive clipped a warmblood, anglo arab etc. in the past who have also lived out through winter.

I think people are the woosy ones. Horses are hardier than we think! Especially if rugged up to the eyeballs.