Which Clip?!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Having my ponies clipped in the morning but I am undecided which clip to give my gelding.

He is an incredibly furry beast in the winter, with a very thick, dense coat and he tends to sweat a lot, even just walking.

Last year about this time he was bib clipped and left naked. To hack off our yard we have a steep hill and he was already lathering up after walking up there. So then we extended the clip as per the picture below. So because I'd taken more off, I started to rug him in a lightweight and on the milder days he was sweating under the rug, but I didn't want to leave him naked with so much off.

Went out for a hack last night about 6 pm. Just walked as he is already in a winter coat a yack would be proud of and he was a mass of sweat when we got home :/ He tends to sweat over his shoulder, girth and down both back legs.

Now I appreciate we are having glorious weather for October and all too soon the temperature will drop. Currently hacked, schooled, jumped most days and will go down to 3 ridden days and 2 lunge days after the clocks change. We are also going to be doing a bit of hunting this year, starting with a newcomers day on the 18th of this month. He lives out 24/7 but there is lots of natural shelter and he gets ad lib forage. Rugging is no problem as I have a full wardrobe of all weights and also an exercise sheet.

I am tempted to whip it all off first time and lightly rug so he is comfortable while it is still mild. My friend said not too and to stick to what he had last year, but she doesn't ride or clip her own, so not sure how she can comment? I think he will be better off with the lot off for now, knowing it will grow back in and I can clip less off over the colder months (Id leave his head and legs).

What would you do if he was yours? Some pictures so you can see what I mean about how hairy is he!

6 weeks ago in summer finery
0000_zps345bf816.jpg

2 winters ago when he was turned away and not clipped (January time)
000000_zps460f43c7.jpg

A picture from yesterday, doesnt really do the coat justice but you can see from the colour change it is well on its way!
000000000_zpse13c3f4d.jpg

Last years clip
00000000_zps30619a0b.jpg

p.s. he doesn't have cushings, just a typical Haffy coat.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Well, the weather is on the turn this weekend.
I'd be inclined to do a bib or low chaser clip for now (half head & drop down neck from headpiece & across shoulders about 8 inches above the elbow & on to point of stifle), do again in Nov & then whip the lot off in early January.

Edit: just re-read your post where you mention hunting (missed it as scanned through, sorry) .... in that case I'd whip the lot off now, leaving furry legs on, then rug accordingly.

Last edited:

PorkChop

Visit site
Clipped one of mine last night, weather is on the change :)

I would do a hunter clip, then maybe back to a chaser for the rest of the winter, he is gorgeous btw :)

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Clipped one of mine last night, weather is on the change :)

I would do a hunter clip, then maybe back to a chaser for the rest of the winter, he is gorgeous btw :)

This is what I am thinking. Thank you, he is my absolute pride and joy :)

Javelin

Visit site
I clipped mine 2 years ago with a full clip (only half a head left on) and he lived out at night that winter. I just rugged him accordingly to the weather conditions and he was fine.

Mine is currently an incredibly hairy bear and, like yours, sweats up on a walking hack. I am hunter clipping him tomorrow and hoping I don't have to re-clip him again in a month's time (have never gotten away with just one clip a winter!)

If he has a good selection of rugs in his wardrobe, they are there to be used so I agree with others above and would hunter clip him now and maybe just see if you can get away with a lighter clip in 6 weeks time..

NellRosk

Visit site
I'd whip it all off now and leave the legs on, especially if you are hunting! Also I love the pic of him au naturale in the snow and his fluffy coat! So cute.

abercrombie&titch

Visit site
Lovely boy! I full clip my cob and highland yeti's (just legs left on), and rug as needed - that way they can't be left with a damp coat after they've worked, so I don't worry about them getting chilled - if it was me I'd definitely whip it all off! Mine will be having their third clip at the weekend!!!

MileAMinute

Visit site
Take it all off, particularly if you are planning on doing a lot of hunting. I've done a hunter clip this year with the aim of seeing how he gets on but will probably stick to a hunter as he is ridden/lunged most days. Mine's a native like yours and their coat gets so thick!

Moomin1

Visit site
If he was sweating whilst lightly rugged last year then I would take the lot off, or be prepared to go up to check him regularly throughout the day to ensure he is not overheating.

My mare has just been fully clipped (whole lot apart from legs - not even a saddle patch left lol) this week, and I left her completely naked yesterday daytime and just put a thin fleece with no fill on top for the night. She's currently ridden by my instructor three times per week and that's all until I am able to lunge and ride again (I'm due to have a baby in ten days), though she is worked pretty hard within her schooling sessions and was very sweaty within five minutes up until her clip.

ETA - my mare isn't a hairy native type and she's living out 24/7 still.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Thank you everyone. I knew I was doing the right thing taking it all off, but wanted the opinion of those who know what they are talking about :p

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
The downside to taking it all off with a Haffie is you lose their lovely colour! I'd. Do a blanket first and take it all off next time if still sweating.

MissTyc

Visit site
I take it all off now, and then blanket clip later in the year when it's proper cold ... Means the blankets aren't quite so thick (mine live out) ... They have loved being clipped this week, and although the rain is coming back it's not going to get COLDCOLD for a while. Nothing rugs can't fix. It grows back in a month!

Kat

Visit site
If you are going to hunt then do a hunter clip, I hunted mine with a chaser clip once and getting her dry afterwards was a nightmare and she has a fine coat.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Well, the weather is on the turn this weekend.
I'd be inclined to do a bib or low chaser clip for now (half head & drop down neck from headpiece & across shoulders about 8 inches above the elbow & on to point of stifle), do again in Nov & then whip the lot off in early January.

Edit: just re-read your post where you mention hunting (missed it as scanned through, sorry) .... in that case I'd whip the lot off now, leaving furry legs on, then rug accordingly.

This. But then TFF is always right ;).

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
The downside to taking it all off with a Haffie is you lose their lovely colour! I'd. Do a blanket first and take it all off next time if still sweating.

True . . . but it's really colour or comfort - and he'll get his beautiful colour back in the Spring :).

P

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I'd say a blanket clip or maybe hunter?

Mine hunts every weekend and is in full work and gets her hunter clip, this year I'm taking her head off too.

11c5e30692e0dc344ebd4272261ebadc.jpg

db6f1c6f4395af1181b4bb9cd3d25ee6.jpg