Which clippers to buy?

Tinks81

Visit site
After 12 years my lister neon's have given up !!!

So im looking for a new pair!

Suggestions please? I do clip more horses than average and all year round

lottiepony

Visit site
I've had my Heiniger Handy clippers for must be 6 years. Really rate them as light and quiet and proved to stand up well to lots of use in some years :)

ellietaylor10

Visit site
I agree- I really rate heiniger clippers. I have the Delta, more of a heavy duty clipper. I've had them for 9 years now and they run and look brand new. They have three speeds as well so you can turn them down for the more nervous sorts. Though, being heavy duty, they are rather heavy, and large, so wouldn't be any good for people with tiny hands!

Liesel

Visit site
I have a pair of Heiniger Progress which are fab for a 1-2 horse owner. Quiet and light weight. I am very pleased with them for the price.

Saying that, I recently borrowed a pair of Heiniger Handy's as mine were being serviced and I have to admit if I had my purchase time again I would go for the Handy. I think they give a better clip.

TheEngineer

Visit site
The Heinegar handy are a good all round clipper. With quality blades, but if you have several sets of Lister Blades, you might want to buy a new Lister, the Star replaced the Neon or you could go for a Legend .

tilly49

Visit site
Mole valley farmers have Lister stars and legato trimmers on offer at £228 - I'm getting some myself at that price

Scottish_Miss

Visit site
Oh now Im also confused I was about to purchase the progress as thought they would be ok on my hairy maxi cob. But reading this post suggests a better clip achieved with the handy??

I like the slim casing of the progress, but as my boy is very hairy and gets clipped all year round and in winter is every 5 weeks or so!!! would anyone advise the better clip is done by the handy>?

fairyclare

Visit site
After 12 years my lister neon's have given up !!!

So im looking for a new pair!

Suggestions please? I do clip more horses than average and all year round

NOOOOOOO......... My lister Neon's are 12yrs old now and are starting to have a few problems :( hope this isn't the beginning of the end for them!

No suggestions for a new set, sorry.

batty100

Visit site
I have the Heineger Handy for a very hairy Exmoor and the blades go through her coat like a hot knife through butter - wonderful clippers and would definitely get them again if I ever needed to!

Tinks81

Visit site
mine are all warmbloods that need heads. bodies, legs clipping all year round to compete !!

Yes sorry FairyClare - but i do think 12 years is pretty good x

VickyP

Visit site
I've had Heineger progress for many years and subjected them to a bigger workload than they were intended for. They were great for nervy horses as they are very quiet. I have just bought the heiniger handy clipper to replace them and am very impressed, great clip and I gather they will stand up to a heavier workload which I now need. Both great machines but depends how much you are clipping. Having said that my brand choice is more limited, Heiniger is Swiss and I am in Italy so they are easily found and serviced etc. so I tend to stick with them.

HardySoul1

Visit site
I sold my Lister Neons last winter as don't have easy access to electric socket any more. Bought cordless Lister Liberty instead and been happy with them. Lovely not having a power cord trailing around! Also got Lister Meteor trimmer for heads and fiddly bits or nervous pony training.

amage

Visit site
I'm in the same situation and will most likely go for the Wolsesley Swift. I had considered cordless but I could sometimes clip10-15 horses in a weekend so would need multiple battery packs/chargers.

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
Why not repair or at least get a quote for the repair of your Lister Star clippers? If that is not an option for you then consider new Lister Star clippers... this is why....

Heineger progress clippers are light, quiet, powerful (enough) and although generally reliable when the motor goes it is usually catastrophic.

The first design 'fault' or shortcoming is the motor on both clippers. I HATE clippers that have the armature, field coil/magnets and brushes all in a sealed unit. They are more powerful, lighter and quieter but you have no idea why they go (stop working) because you cant open them up, you cannot replace any individual components on them and when they go they suck through too much current and knacker the PCB too.

Where as most clipper have a PCB with replaceable components, the Heineger progress has all manor of chips and other unrecognizable components on the PCB so a repair on Heineger Progress can quickly become uneconomical.

The lister neon/star motor also takes out the PCB when it burns out (or whatever actually happens to them) but at least there is a chance you can find the faulty components on it and replace them (allot cheaper than buying a complete PCB).

You also have the blades to consider, if you stick with a Lister then you have no further expense in regards to the blades. If you swap, all of your blades will be useless to you.

Heineger handy clippers are older, heavier and noisier than you can get now. Good in their day but times have moved on...