Which event / show is worth visiting?

MagicMelon

Visit site
We've decided to give HOYS a miss this year. Living in NE Scotland we usually have to fly down so I wondered if there were any UK or close Europe events or shows worth travelling to to spectate? Eventing is my main interest, but also show jumping so along those lines please

neddy man

Visit site
Bramham, nr Leeds Yorkshire 3 day event, 9-12 June excellent xc plus very good shopping and pony club events and top showjumping. Adjacent to the A1 so easy access and exit and Badminton in Gloucestershire and Burghley in Lincolnshire 3 day events of course, or down to Hickstead in Sussex for the RIHS or the Hickstead Derby, The Royal Windsor show in Berkshire, or Great Yorkskire Show, Harrogate. Loads to Google & loads of choice , hope you enjoy the change. (Burghley and GYS are close to the A1.) Or across the water for the Dublin Horse Show in August.

Last edited:

MuddyMonster

Visit site
If you're happy to go abroad, I loved Cannes horse show when I got the chance to go a few years ago (we were on holiday at the time).

In the UK, I love Badminton and Hickstead is varied with the showing classes and the showjumping. And Olympia is always great fun :)

I didn't love Windsor when I've been in the past - I'm not sure why!

TGM

Visit site
If you want to combine travelling to Europe with watching some top-class showjumping, then check out the Global Champions showjumping tour. They hold their events in some amazing locations - this year including Madrid, Saint Tropez, Hamburg, Cannes, Stockholm, Paris, Monaco, Rome and Prague. They also do one in London (at the Royal Hospital Chelsea) if you want to stay closer to home. We went to the London one last year and the atmosphere there was amazing!

You can see their calendar for 2022 here:

https://www.gcglobalchampions.com/en-us/schedule

Also worth following their social media channels to get an idea of it all.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I absolutely love Dublin horse show - cheap flights and everything in a lovely site.
Hated HOYS and Windsor.
Off to Pratoni this year with IHW to tick off a WEG.
I like Badminton (Wednesday is best day) but couldn’t stay the week this year as have a foal due. I am spoilt though as only an hour away.
I really love Gatcombe Festival. Great vibe and viewing.

On my bucket list is:
Pau, Kentucky, Aachen, Amsterdam, Hermes Paris. I did fancy Herning this year for WEG but went with Pratoni instead.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I love Chatsworth! Such a lovely place to visit! Preferred Burghley to Badminton but not really sure why! Did Weg in Jerez, Acchen and Normandy. I'd like to go back to Aachen again for a trip. Always enjoy Hoys and there is so much on if showing is your thing. I'd like to go to Olympia at Excel as it would be really interesting to visit it in a different place.
I'm not really a massive fan of Blair which I know would be quite local to you. It is much better than it used to be. Quite liked Bicton, but I need to go for bigger classes to get more of a feel.
The one I really want to go to still is the Great Yorkshire! Just never quite works date wise with being so close to the Highland!

Griffin

Visit site
I really like Burghley but Royal Windsor is good. I particularly enjoy watching the driving but there is obviously a lot of show jumping too. There is a lot you can do locally if you get bored with the show too.

windand rain

Visit site
Burghley is my favourite eventing show but still needs getting to. I enjoyed Blair for the highland ponies obviously but my favourite was always Olympia as was the London Horse Show now. It is not as good as it used to be 30 years ago but is still more fun than most

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
The hickstead Derby...both days so the speed Derby. Normally there is evening fun in the out door school
And then Derby day. There's so much going on in the main arena aswell as all the outside rings...

If your travelling and staying local visit some local shops there is a paper the Friday ad that normally has free tickets in for the Saturday.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I know it's not your preferred type of event but have you considered a trip to the World Clydesdale show which is being held in Aberdeen this October? Something different without too much travel and there are horses coming from other countries too!

Thanks but I already live in Aberdeenshire so this would just be a local event for us ;) Have to say Im not really into Clydesdales (probably not allowed to say that being Scottish!) but I might pop along thanks

neddy man

Visit site
Totally different as not UK or nearby Europe and not xc or sj but it is unique, the Calgary stampede in Canada in July , or still different but nearer is the Ballinasloe horse fair in Ireland in October.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Seriously thinking about Pratoni, done Europeans and Olympics so need a WEG. Badminton is always great but you need to book early. We did accommodation before the ticket sales went live and then booked tickets on the day sales opened. Windsor is lovely, as is a Hickstead. GCT at St Tropez and then Monaco are on the bucket list. We can get a train to Monaco from my husband’s family house in Italy so we are very lucky!

Reactions: TGM

TGM

Visit site
For anyone interested in LGCT London, tickets went on sale today, link below:

https://longineschampionstour.seetickets.com/content/ticket-options

"Get set for a sensational weekend of world class sport from 19-21 August in the stunning grounds of Royal Hospital Chelsea. Guaranteed to be a fantastic summer family day out with a lovely shopping village, kids’ activities and a variety of food & drink outlets!"

LGCTlondon.jpg