Which Eventing Stallion would you choose?

TopTotty

Visit site
I am possibly thinking of putting my mare in foal next year. We have bred two already, one by Mill Law (who ended up far too big for me) and one by Upton's Deli Circus.

My mare is 16h ISH with Clover Hill lines and I would like something no bigger than 16ish fully grown! I am only 5foot! ;) I would like a good temperment and a proven event history if possible.

So if the choice was yours which stallion would you use? :) :)

TGM

Visit site
Take It 2 The Limit who is 16.1. We have 2yo by him who is probably going to struggle to get to 16hh (which is a pain for us as daughter is tall). But he has the most amazing temperament, so easy to handle even for a vertically challenged wimp like me. Still a dope on a rope when kept in due to rough weather. But fantastic movement and a great pop too (on the only occasion we have loose jumped him).

kassieg

Visit site
Dream eventing stallion would be master imp!

Are you wanting mainly tb blood or traditional irish? Or the more controversial of an ish with some warmblood in?

Just throwing a spanner in the works, how about a connie stallion? I have a mare by a connie stallion & out of an ish mare who is set to make 15.2 :) she's cracking. The pony always gives them the jump !

I had a connie x tb mare ( connie stallion) again only 15.2 jumped round be intermediate xc & schooled sj of 1.30 & 1.40 at home !

TopTotty

Visit site
Dream eventing stallion would be master imp!

Are you wanting mainly tb blood or traditional irish? Or the more controversial of an ish with some warmblood in?

Just throwing a spanner in the works, how about a connie stallion? I have a mare by a connie stallion & out of an ish mare who is set to make 15.2 :) she's cracking. The pony always gives them the jump !

I had a connie x tb mare ( connie stallion) again only 15.2 jumped round be intermediate xc & schooled sj of 1.30 & 1.40 at home !

OOhhh that is a spanner as I don't mind a smaller pony type :) My Upton's is 15.3hh and very compact although not back in full work yet due to surgery this year....final check up in two weeks...fingers crossed please :) She is a babe with a fab temp which is very important to me.

I just want something that will look good ;) and have some potential to event well and is not to big! My Mill Law was out of a 15h mare and he was 16.2 as a four year old! I am not into connies at all so would you have any you would recommend? :)

ihatework

Visit site
OOhhh that is a spanner as I don't mind a smaller pony type :) My Upton's is 15.3hh and very compact although not back in full work yet due to surgery this year....final check up in two weeks...fingers crossed please :) She is a babe with a fab temp which is very important to me.

I just want something that will look good ;) and have some potential to event well and is not to big! My Mill Law was out of a 15h mare and he was 16.2 as a four year old! I am not into connies at all so would you have any you would recommend? :)

What about the Catherston pony stallion, little dale bright spark (or similar!) - I know someone with one, it's a little sassy but jumps like stink!

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
Primitive Faerie Tale - 16hh 15/16ths TB, only elite stallion still competing other than Chilli Morning. Got a weanling by him at the moment who is a lovely looking foal and our mare is back in foal to him again. Consistent record at Int/2*/Adv with young stock coming through at 2*.

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
I agree with earlier poster, rather depending on what level you want to compete at, but a quality Connie can produce a lovely foal.
Just make sure there's enough quality there for some scope. Good luck.

kassieg

Visit site

Will pm you when I get home later on :)

dianchi

Visit site
Would really need to know more about the mare to pick a stallion, if you can get to the stallion shows its always a good shout!
Depends on budget too! And if you are going AI or natural!

Event stallions wise, Grafham stud is always a good shout :)
Dunno if you can get frozen Jumbo but that would be my dream!
But any of their boys are lovely!

Fiona

Visit site
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=52ns20fhUTU

I believe Clerkenwell is now standing in the uk having previously been in ni at scarvagh stud. He is a bright bay TB by sadlers wells

There are quite a few of his eventing now in ni and doing well..

Link to rds stallion parade in 2012 at the top

Sorry ignore me. Just googled and he seems to be still in ni...

Fiona

Last edited:

Llee94

Visit site
I quite like Stormhill Miller. I have a Stormhill horse, unfortunately not bred from him, but he seems to produce some lovely event horses including Paul Tapner's 4* horse Stormhill Michael.

Dusty85

Visit site
Weston Justice might be suitable. Know nothing of their temperaments, but there is a mare for sale on here by him who is 6yo and 15.3h/16h so height wise might be ok? (apparently out of a TB/ID mare who I would imagine was 16h at least. its not the best pic but she looks nicely put together. (ad is nothing to do with me by the way!)

http://horseandhound.co.uk/classifi...umbria/brampton/by-weston-justice-477272.html

Other than that the 2015 BE sire list is here:

http://www.britisheventing.com/library-media/documents/Top_50_Sires_2015v3.pdf

I personally like TB stallions, but that is because I like blood, and I am old fashioned rather than choosing a WB. Not enough pure TB stallions in my opinion! Mine is by Loughehoe guy and very well put together, but sharp at times when not worked (which Ive since heard can be a trait).

Newmarket Venture, Ghareeb Sula Blue, Britannia's mail and watermill swatch have all caught my eye.

Last edited:

TopTotty

Visit site
Actually the more I look at Britannia's Mail, the more I think I would chose him!

Sire is 16th in the BE list, Dam Headley Britannia won 3 times at 4* level and Jumbo is grandsire.

http://www.stallionsonline.co.uk/stallion_62408.html

Already at 2* and only 20pens over XC and 53 BE pts in 4 seasons.

OOhh he does sound lovely. I saw him a couple of years back in a demo at Myerscough College. Some serious thinking to do as there are some lovely horses out there! Thank you to everyone who has helped :) :)

oldie48

Visit site
I have two friends who used Take it 2 the limit for their mares, both have produced horses that have competed BE with exceptional results. The mare is 16hh and successfully competing 2* as an 8 year old and the gelding is 16.1 and is now competing advanced. The mare has been so successful that they now have a colt from TI2TL. She moves beautifully and qualified for medium nationals, her jump is also extremely scopey. Worth a look, I would think!

Poorlypony

Visit site
As others have said you really need to assess your mare and decide what you need to improve/balance and what you want from the foal.

I have a gorgeous 6 month old colt by Sula Blue. My mare is ISH with a bit of WB. She can jump the moon and is incredibly careful but quite stuffy. Sula Blue can gallop forever and makes Adv look like an 80 when going XC. He won't pass on wildly extravagant movement but that wasn't important to me as I wanted to add some forward thinking brain. Sula Blue also has a lovely temperament and is home produced; temperament is very important to me as a crappy amateur!
Have fun - there are some lovely stallions out there and foals are super cute (then you have to wait out the ugly years - [looks at formerly beautiful foal who is now an ugly duckling rising 2 year old!!!])!