Which feed ?

Armas

Visit site
I am now confused :(
I was just about to order Allen & Page Calm and Condition & Equus Health WINTER GLOW / SUMMER SHINE

But some one has suggested this http://www.holistichorsefeed.co.uk/our-feed/ and it works out much cheaper as I would not order the WINTER GLOW / SUMMER SHINE.

Any one used the TOTAL Horse Feed for LIFE?

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
i know weve chatted a bit about it, but i think you need to decide your aims with feed, ie

what you need to feed for

what if anything needs improving in your horse, ie feet/weight

and what your grazing/hay may lack over the winter months.

looking at the link it comes down again to the amount you actully have to feed, id think a was in medium work so 2-3kg a day that meens a sack of feed will last what 7 -9 days? it becomes an expensive way to feed imo.

if your not feeding for weight gain but mins/vits and a little extra then imo your better off with a chaff/beat and either a min and vit or something like blue chip

feeds j are a total mind field and i think a lot will come down to what suits your routine and the horses overal fitness/work load etc

TigerTail

Visit site
I wouldnt feed the holistic one as just from the website I cant seen any proper ingredients list. It also contains garlic and soya oil, neither of which id want to feed in any large quantity.

A+P C+C

Ingredients: Unmolassed Beet Pulp, Wheat Feed, Nutritionally Improved Straw, Linseed Expeller, Peas,
Soya (bean) Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Di-calcium Phosphate, Yeast, Fenugreek Seed.

Typical analysis: Oil 5.5%, Protein 12%, Fibre 14%, Estimated DE 12.5MJ/kg, Starch 13%,
Total Sugar 5%, Vitamin A 10k iu/kg, Vitamin D 1.5k iu/kg, Vitamin E 120mg.

That would be another no no for me, nutritionally improved straw is chemically treated with sodium hydroxide - a primary ingredient in chemical cleaners, cant be good for a delicate balance of gut flora, wheat feed = by product, linseed expeller is the meal left after its been crushed for oil thats fine but micronised is better available nutrients for the horses, and peas have no place in horse food!

Interesting reading here http://thunderbrook.co.uk/app/download/5780944264/Some+ingredients+of+processed+horse+feeds.pdf

As JHoward says - why are you feeding? He should be getting his nutrition from forage, what is making you want to add a hard feed?

Armas

Visit site
i know weve chatted a bit about it, but i think you need to decide your aims with feed, ie

what you need to feed for
Balanced diet & conditioning

what if anything needs improving in your horse, ie feet/weight
Keep his weight at a good level

and what your grazing/hay may lack over the winter months.

looking at the link it comes down again to the amount you actully have to feed, id think a was in medium work so 2-3kg a day that meens a sack of feed will last what 7 -9 days? it becomes an expensive way to feed imo.

if your not feeding for weight gain but mins/vits and a little extra then imo your better off with a chaff/beat and either a min and vit or something like blue chip

feeds j are a total mind field and i think a lot will come down to what suits your routine and the horses overal fitness/work load etc

In all I want to make sure he is getting the best feed that contains the right amount of vit & min

Queenbee

Visit site
I am now confused :(
I was just about to order Allen & Page Calm and Condition & Equus Health WINTER GLOW / SUMMER SHINE

But some one has suggested this http://www.holistichorsefeed.co.uk/our-feed/ and it works out much cheaper as I would not order the WINTER GLOW / SUMMER SHINE.

Any one used the TOTAL Horse Feed for LIFE?

All I will say Aramas is that I use A&P, but you do have to ensure that with C&C the horse is actually in the correct higher level of work, without it, it is prone to 'fizz' a horse up. They have changed one of the ingredients since I used it, but I believe it can still have this effect on horses.

Speaking with the local rep regarding this issue, she would always reccomend Cool and collected over calm and condition. I use fast fibre as ben is in no way at that level of work or need. As for the other feed I really couldn't comment as have never used them. I do like winter glow/summer shine, but I doubt you would really need it with A&P as its an 'all inc' food.

Edited to say if he does not need weight gain, then try FF first, the vits and minerals as I say are all in, and if you want to add some calories and condition you could always add some corn oil. If you find that he is losing weight on this you could always up it to cool and collected.

Last edited:

JoClark

Visit site
Hi,

I use Simple System feed which is very good for my Irish Sport Horse, however as he doesnt like the Total Eclipse so I use Summer Shine Winter Glow instead, probably the mint in it that makes the difference. The majority of horses at my yard are on SS and they all look fab; they are all different breeds to, we have TB's, ISH, Hannoverian, Danish Warmblood, Arab, Welsh and a Cob.

It depends on the breed and what he is being used for but I have Green Gold (lucerne), Top Nosh (he likes the taste of it has Omega and linseed etc), Lucie Pellets (lucerne again but in pellet form, its good for forrage, I use quite a lot of these), then I add the summer shine winter glow and a bit of Biotin for his hooves. He looks fantastic, he's a cribber too so its not as easy keeping them in condition but works wonders.

I have photos if you would want to see.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
That would be another no no for me, nutritionally improved straw is chemically treated with sodium hydroxide - a primary ingredient in chemical cleaners, cant be good for a delicate balance of gut flora

NIS is treated WITH sodium hydroxide certainly, but once the process of said improvement is complete, there is no NaOH left IN the product(due to the chemical processes the NIS undergoes).

Info came from here

:)