Which girth?

spugs

Visit site
I’m after girth recommendations, there’s just so many out there ?
My saddler sells one of her own but I’d like to see what else is out there. It needs to be anatomical (round pony with forward girth), elastic both ends and brown. Budget is £100.
Thank you

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
round pony, v. forward girth, v. prone to rubs (really didn't get on with leather) for years I told people a pro choice wouldn't work. It was the best option in the end!
harry dabbs second but I did have to add fleece when the binding split (but very good as a shape tester too)

Other mare has an ideal affinity F2 and it's suited her very well (also forwards groove, big belly, narrow front anglo).

chaps89

Visit site
I have stubben cord girths (fatty lost enough weight that her ideal affinity girth no longer fit and at the time I couldn't afford another) and have to say I really like them. You do have to be careful how you wash them though as I shrank mine by mistake!

Shay

Visit site
Anything Atherstone shaped with double elastic ends. I'm not sure the maker matters overmuch - I've got them from all over the place. All the reccomendations above are for Atherstone shapes just differnt makers. I think I currently have shires and an aeroborn. But the shape is the thing. No experience with cord girths though I know there are folk who really rate them.

ester

Visit site
No, not all the recommendations above are atherstone shaped at all, they are all anatomical shaped for a forwards girth groove? Not the same thing at all.

fwiw we also tried a prolite and a stubben string. The stubben rubbed, the prolite didn't suit because he pulled it forwards a bit and it gaped at the sides.

Hallo2012

Visit site
I have an Adam ellis one which is easily as nice as the ideal affinity but cheaper.

super soft and suits my rotund pony well :)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Anything Atherstone shaped with double elastic ends. I'm not sure the maker matters overmuch - I've got them from all over the place. All the reccomendations above are for Atherstone shapes just differnt makers. I think I currently have shires and an aeroborn. But the shape is the thing. No experience with cord girths though I know there are folk who really rate them.

The cheap ones have cheap and thin elastic which sadly on roly poly types just isn't secure enough, £40+ is needed to get decent elastic IMO.

No, not all the recommendations above are atherstone shaped at all, they are all anatomical shaped for a forwards girth groove? Not the same thing at all.

fwiw we also tried a prolite and a stubben string. The stubben rubbed, the prolite didn't suit because he pulled it forwards a bit and it gaped at the sides.

Stubbens tend to only rub where girth grooves are "pouchy", if the girth groove is more open/flat in shape the girth will be flat, if not it is a wide girth and will fold over and that's when it tends to pinch/rub. Otherwise it's rare it causes problems but as with all things equine there are always exceptions.

Also I'd say to anyone talking about Atherstones, they DO differ. The better ones are the ones where the centre section is wide and shaped and the padding extends only a little wider, those with a narrow centre band with padding that is shaped and sticking out further aren't as kind or as grippy, I don't recommend them, not withstanding the strength of the elastic too. I once saw a fairly expensive leather Atherstone made by one of our direct competitors where the elastic was cheap and stretchy and they'd actually STITCHED through the elastic to try and strengthen it. Astonishing. You can imagine how long that stitching lasted!

ester

Visit site
Frank was definitely pouchy, that's a good description.

re. elastic that was one thing I noticed compared to aerborn/thorogood atherstone versions compared to the harry dabbs waffle the elastic was much stronger.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Frank was definitely pouchy, that's a good description.

re. elastic that was one thing I noticed compared to aerborn/thorogood atherstone versions compared to the harry dabbs waffle the elastic was much stronger.

Yep, the cheap ones simply stretch out when you tighten them and you lose any benefit of the elastic, or if you leave it loose-ish it has no "hold". Anything at around £20 is unlikely to have decent elastic.