Which helmet to buy for teenager?

Skib

sites.google.com
This is a not a knowledgeable riding family. I'd like some guidance please on choosing a helmet for an 11 year old grandchild - walk, trot and canter, some hacking and has started to jump.

I wear a Gatehouse HS1 helmet. Most of my riding is hacking. OH wears a Charles Owen J3 jockey skull.

I notice that the girl's hat, a Champion advantage is lower specification. It meets only BSEN 1384 and has three anchors for the straps rather than four.

Should I buy her a better quality hat? The Charles Owen comes in a child's version with PAS015 specification. And I think the HS1 also come in child sizes now.
What do other people buy their kids?

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
As a retired neurosurgery nurse I'd say go for the best you can afford and always have a child fitted by someone who knows what's what. Different makes can fit differently. You only have one head. I hope you and your grandchild are having a fab time.

hnmisty

Visit site
To echo the above...get the best you can afford, and get it fitted by a professional. Certain head shapes fit certain hat makes, you can't beat going into a good tack shop and getting your granddaughter to try a few on :)

Sprig

Visit site
I think the most important thing is to go and get one fitted by an expert, not necessarily how much it costs. If it does not fit, it could become irrelevant what spec it has.

Skib

sites.google.com
Thanks for confirming what I thought.
Certain head shapes fit certain hat makes
As OH and I found out. We wear different brands.

You can't beat going into a good tack shop

But this is the problem. Most tack shops are tied to one brand. Our best local tack shop stocks one brand and assures me that they can fit anyone - both head shapes! As did the excellent shop where I first tried (and failed) to buy myself a good hat.

Life as a rider is fine when one knows what fits one, but for a new rider or a growing child ( I now realise she is 12! ) it is a minefield. The expert fitter to whom I would like to hand responsibility, isn't there. The child's present hat is too big (I now think) and padded out with foam, because in those days I thought kids hats were all very basic and I trusted the guy in the shop.

Nosey

Visit site
Know what you mean re sometimes limited choices/sizes at small local tack shops so I've often bought my 12yo daughter a new hat or body protector etc at big shows ie badminton / Olympia.

Theocat

Visit site
If the child is riding at a riding school they're bound to have helmets - see if she can try on a few there to get an idea of best makes and sizes.

I've never been in a tack shop that only sold one brand of hat so it's worth calling a couple of local ones to see what they stock.

undergroundoli

Visit site
I think the most important thing is to go and get one fitted by an expert, not necessarily how much it costs. If it does not fit, it could become irrelevant what spec it has.

I agree. Would going to a horsey event be a nice outing for the pair of you and doable from London?

sem9999

Visit site
At the level of safety rating you are looking at, you should be considering the Gatehouse HS1, Charles Owen 4 star and Gatehouse RXC1. All different shapes with the highest safety ratings.

Skib

sites.google.com
Thank you for the advice and showing me I wasnt crazy or extravagant - OH and I took her on a day trip to a superstore where she could try all.

My twelve year old rides in a HS1, buy the best you can afford.
And our twelve year old also has one now.