Which horsebox??

Corker

Visit site
After going backwards and forwards about 20 or 30 times deciding what to do regarding horse transport I have FINALLY decided that I cannot afford to run a 4x4 doing the amount of miles I have to do weekly and so I am going to get a horsebox. The question is with the budget of around £3k what sort of box is adviseable to get regarding mileage and reg? For example is a C reg still a good running age? Are Leyland dafs reliable for parts etc or is it best to get a different make? My friend has advised me to get a tilt cab so I'm just trying to work everything else out, thanks.

mrsew

Visit site
TBH you would be better off getting a decent 4X4 and trailer than getting a box for £3K - you really won't get much for your money and you'll have to insure, tax & plate another vehicle and when you do use a 7.5t they drink fuel. Sorry to sound negative but just being realistic. If you could afford to spend more on the lorry I'd go for that every time but that is only because I don't like towing. Good luck with whatever you decide on. Sx

AngieandBen

Visit site
Agree, If you could up your budget a few K a box would be great. Although dont agree that 7.5t drink fuel, my Leyland has just done a 300 mile trip on £65.

A friend bought a 3.5t one for £3k a few months ago and she broke down on the way back from a ride; the clutch had gone :( It doesn't look too hot either!

perfect11s

Visit site
Yes as others say not realy a budget to buy a box unless you have a family member or friend who can and wants to help you fix up and repair an older lorry!!! , if you have a 4x4 and trailer thats ok maybe you could keep them and buy a small car to run about in???? but yes a leyland daf is a good bet as there are lots about for second hand bits and they are easy to work on ...

Last edited: