Which hunt? Very grateful for any advice

nutking09

Visit site
I am hoping to take my 4yo out cubbing this autumn. Although I have hunted in the past I am new to Leicestershire and hoping someone on here may be able to advise on which hunt to venture out with.
I know there are several renowned and popular hunts nearby but wondered which people would recommend as a friendly hunt, and which would be most suitable for taking a baby to learn to be sensible (as I don't have the advantage of an equine babysitter/faithful friend), and where I will find days where jumping is optional/not too testing (although I appreciate the Secretary will be the best to advise on specific meet suitability).
I am near Loughborough so in Quorn country, but pretty close to the Atherstone and Meynell, as well as Fernie, Cottesmore, Belvoir, South Notts - not knowing any hunting folk around here any advice on the best hunt for us would be fantastic. Thank you!

Visit site
Quorn Tuesdays are in the Loughborough area and are the quietest Quorn day which might suit your young horse. Cottesmore Thursdays/ some Saturdays (although a little further away for you) may also be good. Thursday country is in the fens and there is rarely much jumping... except for the big dykes/ditches!

nutking09

Visit site
I presume Saturday with the Quorn are generally quite 'busy' with big fields? To be honest it will probably be mainly Saturdays that I can get out, especially when we get into hunting proper. He may be a well behaved hunting pro (I can cross my fingers and hope!) but i'd quite like to start off with some quieter days until he learns the ropes if I can! I had thought the Atherstone as its closer but Cottesmore Thursdays/Saturdays sound ideal. Thank you!

gunnergundog

Visit site
The fields will probably be smallest in the Atherstone if you are within commuting distance. The country is mainly small rails with ditches and the very small odd hedge. However, IME, they are not (or used not to be!) the friendliest of hunts.

JulesRules

Visit site
I have never been hunting or cubbing but I'm planning on taking my girl out cubbing with the Atherstone. I'm doing their pre hunting clinic in a couple of weeks time so will take things from there.

A couple of people on here said they are not the friendliest, but I have phoned them a couple of times regarding fun rides and the clinic and found those I have spoken to so far very nice.

nutking09

Visit site
Ah yes the pre-hunting clinic looks good JulesRules - have fun! I may try and call later to see if they have space for one more :) Thanks everyone for all your help, I will perhaps meet some of you in person when we venture out!

JulesRules

Visit site
Let me know if you do book onto the clinic.
You will be able to recognise me by my horse who is quite distinctive :)

attachment.php

nutking09

Visit site
Aw she looks lovely JulesRules! I am sadly not able to make the clinic tomorrow but would love to hear all about how you get on...have fun! I will hopefully be out cubbing with my boy in the next couple of weeks :)