Which is worse over-horsing or under-horsing?

Fat_Rascal

New User
Visit site
So I’m currently out horse shopping after deciding to retire my older mare and I’m realising that I haven’t really ridden anything other than her in many years. I guess this has made me a bit of a Goldilocks rider, and everything I try is either a little bit too jazzy or a little bit too ploddy. But if I had to settle for either a little bit too laid back or a little bit too exciting which is the easiest to live with? I’m late 30s and just looking for a leisure horse, something to go out and about on but I hold no aspirations of competing to a serious standard.

It’s a hypothetical question, but genuinely curious which is generally preferred. Is it easy to energise a leg-on horse, or am I going to end up wishing I’d bought the flashy warmblood I could only just sit on? At the moment I’m prioritising horses that are advertised as unfazed in traffic or out alone, but I don’t want a horse that’s completely switched off. I’ve spent so many years becoming bombproof with my mare, but I remember the early days we had some hairy moments and I’m just not sure whether I’m up for going through that again.

Fat_Rascal

New User
Visit site
Slightly underhorsed, it's far easier to fire up something that is a little lazy. Than cope with something that is borderline too much. One you cross that line and get a but scared it can escalate quick and be hard to come back

Personally I prefer to be under-horsed. If I ever feel wistful, I try to find something that's got a few more gears to jump on and I quickly remember why I prefer a plodder 😂

You never know what you might turn ‘under horses’ into, and you’ll always be able to sell easily.
Over horsed far less likely to be much fun, and you risk losing your confidence and value on the horse.
Thanks all, that was what my gut feeling was, it’s just been such a long time since I’ve been horse shopping.

Birker2020

Visit site
I've never over horsed myself but I have underhorsed and it was a nightmare. The horse in question just didn't have any enthusiasm for school work or SJ but came alive on a xc course and loved to gallop.

He was lazy, not forward going and despite the vet or chiro not finding anything wrong, I could never change his attitude.

He came on the back of my previous horse who was a 0-60mph cantering sideways type of horse who never stood still so it made it even more obvious to me that we weren't a good match. I would do everything to avoid being in that same boat again as it was sound destroying.

Michen

Visit site
I had a horse on loan who I took as a stop gap. He was lazy and kinda odd looking and a bit meh.

That horse became a buzzy, fun, pocket rocket. I got him very fit and took him hunting and to lots of fun stuff, and he was absolutely epic!

Much better to spice them up IMO

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
You can spice up a slightly dull horse but you can’t change their basic nature. A horse who is super keen and forward can also be safe. To me over horsed is less about forward vs plodding but more about spooky/spinny/sharp vs level headed.

I would never have a ploddy horse. I like forward horses. And I was over horsed with Amber as she had more power than I knew what to do with. But I never felt unsafe as she never did anything unpredictable or reactive. I just needed to learn to ride her.

My daughters pony Jenny was the whizziest pony I’ve ever known but a total Angel.

On the other hand, a horse that scares you is stressful and miserable to ride, so if speed/enthusiasm unnerves you, even if the horse really isn’t doing anything dangerous, then you are better off with a steadier mount.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
ETA You can also have steady eddies who are explosively unpredictable! Especially if their steadiness comes from being a bit shut down as opposed to chilled out by nature.

Or backwards thinking nappy horses who rear. Who may, at a viewing, just come across as more woah than go.

I like horses who move freely forward with the handbrake off and are alert and engaged with the world. They actually make me feel the safest.

Bernster

Visit site
Also an older rider, less confident and less able to bounce back, so I’d slightly under horse especially if you’re getting back into it. I’ve done so many fab things with slightly steadier (safe) horses although I always yearn a bit for the slightly more buzzy types which I find more interesting to ride. But that often also means a bit more challenging and, for a first (in a while) purchase of a leisure horse, I think go for reliable and they can still be a lot of fun.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I have what used to be called an electric seat as nothing is ploddy with me so if I have a very forward lively horse like my last one, it can get a bit too much. I do like them as AE has said but now, if I ever got another which I shouldn’t , it would have to be a very steady horse, preferably a mare..

humblepie

Visit site
ETA You can also have steady eddies who are explosively unpredictable! Especially if their steadiness comes from being a bit shut down as opposed to chilled out by nature.

Or backwards thinking nappy horses who rear. Who may, at a viewing, just come across as more woah than go.

I like horses who move freely forward with the handbrake off and are alert and engaged with the world. They actually make me feel the safest.
[/QUOTE

Yes a friend returning to riding bought a quiet cob and found him much less confidence giving than my ex racehorse at the time.

Squeak

Visit site
Is it worth your while booking some lessons on schoolmasters to get your feel back in for different horses?

I think AE is absolutely correct with saying just because something is fast and whizzy that it doesn't mean it's unsafe/ too much so if you prefer something more forward then you could try and find a safe version of that. As others have said though, it's often possible to whizz up the slower horses.

For me the most important thing would be that it was safe, sane and easy. Especially as you don't need a world beater. In your 30's with a job and other things to juggle there's a huge amount to be said for something that can have a couple of extra days off if needed and just put on the lorry and go to shows, fun rides etc and just enjoy.

I also agree with Rara that you never know what that 'under horsed' can turn in to. For me, my happy hacker has taken me places I thought I could have only dreamt of and we have so much fun doing it.

cauda equina

Visit site
When you go to try a horse you're probably riding it under optimum conditions, in its familiar surroundings and been kept in proper work (you would hope) by its usual rider
If you try it and think 'Well this is all a bit seat of the pants stuff but I think I can manage', how is it going to go when you get him home, away from all he knows and possibly unsettled?

I'm old, and would go for underhorsing now - you can do much more with too little horse than too much

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It's very personal but I'd always rather under horse - but I'm a 30 something that rides for fun, I wouldn't be the naturally bravest or gung-ho of riders and feeling like I'm possibly going to die isn't my idea of fun 🤣

My native, when not fit has very little get up and go about him and would fool you into thinking he's an absolute plod that couldn't possibly leave walk.

He's now fit, forward and such good fun to ride out as a result but I much prefer knowing I have to make this energy than try to calm him down. He's certainly not boring as he has a lot of personality and does spook at silly things, squeals with the occasional humpy-bucks or trying to jog home but he's sensible and geniune, even when fit.

He's still fairly casual about his flatwork and he'll never give you a truly inspired feeling in an arena - he can work correctly and get good marks - but it just doesn't float his boat. But I love that I can take him on pub rides, fun rides, we hack miles on our own, we can hack in wind/rain etc, we can meet up with friends half way around a ride and leave them again with no drama, we can give Trec/dressage/jumping/clinics a go.

Day to day, it's much more practical for me having a horse people are happy to handle as if I'm stuck friends and family are happy to help out with a small, fluffy, friendly (if not a little pushy for treats) native than a flashy fire breathing dragon that needs calming.

Last edited:

AppyLover1996

Visit site
I always go for slightly under-horsed than over-horsed.

I made the mistake of over horsing myself and screwed myself over royally to the extent I quit riding for 3 years!

Current pony was very meh when I brought him, but it suited me fine, now I've had him for 10 years, he's grown with me and my riding level and is now a little spicy, mcnugget but if he was like this years ago, I'd have run a mile....don't write off under horsing as they may spark up as you progress in the future - besides always better to have too much breaks rather than not enough....

Reactions: tda

Alibear

Visit site
Buy the horse that you can ride easily now.
If they push your limit when trialling them, they will likely exceed your limit when you change their environment and bring them home.
Also, we all, myself included, underestimate what a huge change it is, going from owning and riding the same horse for years to building a relationship with a new one.
Good luck and we're all a bunch of enablers on here :)

cauda equina

Visit site
Or loan it, and ask for it back in your dotage when you want a nice safe conveyance

Some years ago I rehomed a very steady cob as he was too steady
He'd be my perfect horse now