Which is worse over-horsing or under-horsing?

millitiger

Visit site
It's so personal!

I prefer to be over-horsed but accept I am in a minority with that.

I'm currently underhorsed and making it work as he's my homebred and will never be sold.
However, my ideal horse is always buzzy and hot and needs a calming seat - all of my favourite horses were ones marked as a "professionals" ride.
If I liken it to karting, I would like to be at the karting track in a Ferrari!

vhf

Visit site
I think you need to think a lot about your support network, actual experience level and needs, but without forgetting about your preferences and aims.
I recently underhorsed (lease/loan) because I was replacing a 15-year relationship and didn't want to destroy my confidence given my increased age and reduced support, facilities and ambitions. It was a mistake, as it happened, but I guess he was a bit of a Mr Right Now. It helped me cement my needs/wants/compromises. This time I have gone much closer to my natural type, but chosen mostly on the horse's nature, upbringing and likely fit with my 'new me' settings that the other horse helped me sort out. She's probably less full-on than my horses of old (and backed!) , but is very green so I still have some development to work on (one of the things I realised I couldn't compromise!)

Visit site
I've never over horsed myself but I have underhorsed and it was a nightmare. The horse in question just didn't have any enthusiasm for school work or SJ but came alive on a xc course and loved to gallop.

He was lazy, not forward going and despite the vet or chiro not finding anything wrong, I could never change his attitude.
Underhorsed? More wrong horse for the job you wanted? Sounds like plenty of horse if was looking for a team chaser.

Funny I always thought of under / over horsing as being more of a I want to jump 120 but my horse has maxed out at 110 or the classic I want to jump 100 so I must have a horse with a decent 120 record.

In terms of characteristics I do value a slightly colder horse to a hot or sharp horse - I prefer to be adding a little spice than to be constantly managing a possible explosion. Unless buying young which is then a total gamble I do look for one which is doing and enjoying all the activities I would want to do.

Daunting but exciting! Best of luck on your search!

SEL

Visit site
Most people would say I'm under horsed on the microcob (literally as she's only 13h) but she's a saint with kids, a saint on the lead rein, a star to nanny nervous horses ...... and like thelwell on speed when she's out with me on her own!! She absolutely knows the difference and seems to have decided that when we're solo hacking she can engage her inner racehorse. Its quite cute really and I think she's probably relieved she didn't end up being a saintly pony for small children for the rest of her life.

Safe as houses but usually brings me back from a ride grinning from ear to ear.

planete

Visit site
I had a habit of always overhorsing myself slightly as I liked the challenge and the usually steep learning curve. This time I have underhorsed myself to give me time to get back into riding as an older rider. It has been equally frustrating and unexpectedly challenging as the pony came with lots of problems, mental and physical, but the sense of achievement when we get some breakthroughs is compensating for the stretches of tediousness. Do I still hanker after my lovely old Arab? Well, yes, but less and less often now little pony is getting the hang of this riding business.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
For people who’ve been out of the saddle for a while I recommend getting back up to speed riding a variety of horses at a good riding school or trekking centre. You can suss out what type of horse you now prefer without making an expensive mistake purchasing one that is too whizzy or too much of a dobbin.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Lots of people may think they would rather be overhorsed until they actually are.
This 100% I was "complaining" in the summer that my horse was a bit too chilled and laid (after 3 years of owning him).

He's been the one you can ride out after box rest safely / hand walk in open spaces on box rest, getting him to gallop hard work etc etc. etc.

Not sure what went wrong (and it is long and complicated story) but he hasn't been anywhere near as calm and sensible to hack since mid December, and getting our mutual hacking confidence back is proving a slow process.

EventingMum

Visit site
If by overhorsed you mean one that you don't have the nerve or ability to ride then definitely no, it simply isn't fair to the horse and likely to end badly, If you just mean a more forward type I would say it's down to your personal preference and the support you have around you. I have bought horses and ponies for clients and family that are, one paper, a little more than they need at the time but fundementally the rider will have lots of help, lessons and other support to enable to progress with the horse. If they had bought the perfect horse at the time they would have be bored and frustrated in a few months.

If you just want to enjoy hacking, aren't interested in progressing your riding or lessons and competing then definitely underhorse yourself and enjoy stress free riding. When viewing take the most experienced, trusted person you can with you too that can honestly assess you and the horse as a potential partnership and look closely at how the horse is currently kept and ridden.

Fieldlife

Visit site
If by overhorsed you mean one that you don't have the nerve or ability to ride then definitely no, it simply isn't fair to the horse and likely to end badly, If you just mean a more forward type I would say it's down to your personal preference and the support you have around you. I have bought horses and ponies for clients and family that are, one paper, a little more than they need at the time but fundementally the rider will have lots of help, lessons and other support to enable to progress with the horse. If they had bought the perfect horse at the time they would have be bored and frustrated in a few months.

If you just want to enjoy hacking, aren't interested in progressing your riding or lessons and competing then definitely underhorse yourself and enjoy stress free riding. When viewing take the most experienced, trusted person you can with you too that can honestly assess you and the horse as a potential partnership and look closely at how the horse is currently kept and ridden.

that is I think part of the challenge - I want ONE horse that will - hack solo in busy open windy space whilst racehorses are also being exercised nearby, do affiliated dressage to a decent level, do GB TREC competition, go camping, do low level endurance rides, do Working Equitation, go to gallops, ride at speed in company, do beach rides, canter in the sea, pony other horses off etc. Finding a horse with both the power, the energy, the paces, and the brain and the groundedness is an interesting mix. I have a 17hh german warmblood who in the last three years, has shown some aptitude at most of these, other than the affiliated dressage (which he's not a big fan). Have current hacking issue but that hasnt been typical over last 3.25 years, just last 3 months.

Flame_

Visit site
I used to say I was "gloriously underhorsed" by my last horse who was extremely submissive, genuine, kind and sort-of somewhat under-powered. I did love and appreciate his wonderful nature and the ability to know, even when he was a youngster, that we could safely negotiate pretty much any circumstances we might find ourselves in... But... There was a frustration and perhaps guilt for never really understanding how he felt about stuff when it was very much a master - servant relationship, if that makes any sense?

Current horse was, at times, a handful as a youngster, and is still a stronger personality, keener on expressing himself and saying "no" when he's not convinced I'm being smart. This is right for me. Mostly correctly horsed, once in a while over-horsed. Then I just get off for a few minutes. 😁

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Do I enjoy riding it? That for me is the most important thing. If I enjoy riding it then I will always enjoy riding it and don’t ever even think about under or over.

I think we all spend far too much time over thinking everything whereas I just think have I had fun trying this horse and feel excited and want to ride it more?

oldie48

Visit site
Basically I want a horse that is forward thinking as long as it has manners. TBH I've always (with one exception) bought horses that required me to up my game, some would say I was "over horsed" but they knew their job and had good temperaments. Most decent forward going horses are more than happy to do less work in the school but IME (and I've watched a few) the idle joe's are fine as long as you stay off their case, it's when you ask for more that they show their true colours. I bought a horse that felt really safe, he was my worst mistake ever, you could put your granny on him and he wouldn't put a foot wrong but ask him to show a bit of enthusiasm and you suddenly had a different horse (he had no physical problems, he was just totally school sour although he was wonderful to hack). I don't think it's a choice between lazy or buzzy, just look for something that has a good temperament, wants to do the job that you want to do and is responsive to your aids. It's a darn sight easier to refine your own aids than make an unresponsive horse responsive. Well that's my experience.

Julia0803

Visit site
I dithered about buying our cob, thinking he was perhaps just a bit too quiet.

Decided to go for it as he was to be a mum/son share, and my son has been over horsed with loan pony and list his confidence. Like a previous poster I felt that if we’d outgrown him ability wise in 12/18m he’d be easy to sell onto another pony club home.

He’s still here nearly 11 years later. Sadly long outgrown by son, but still the right size for me!

He stepped up a bit every time we asked for more from him. He’s never going to be a world beater but he’s happy to give anything a good go with a smile on his face (and I always feel safe). He’s done PC, SJ, DR, PC camps and teams, hunted, tried horse ball, been dressed up, played gymkana games, generally been the worlds best sidekick.

He’s now the fittest he’s possibly ever been (we’ve taken up endurance in the last year). He feels really strong and fit, and that has really helped with the feeling of power/forwardness. He finds it easy so it more ‘up for it’…. But always has breaks and never feels like he’d bugger off with you.

He makes me look like a decent and more to the point brave rider. I’m neither. Really I’m complete wuss but he makes me feel safe.

Good luck with your search.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
ETA You can also have steady eddies who are explosively unpredictable! Especially if their steadiness comes from being a bit shut down as opposed to chilled out by nature.

Or backwards thinking nappy horses who rear. Who may, at a viewing, just come across as more woah than go.

I like horses who move freely forward with the handbrake off and are alert and engaged with the world. They actually make me feel the safest.
I never thought I'd say this but I think I am heading towards this preference too, with the increasing experience I am getting on horses that walk out 'properly' and instruction to reassure me how to use my half halts and that 'head up looking around' does not necessarily mean imminent doom...the horse is just happy and enjoying their hack :)

One share trial I did the horse would not walk out at all on a hack, not going out or coming back and honestly it was a good lesson learned in that steady does not always feel safe. In contrast one of the hacking lessons I've had this year taught me that a forward going horse that comes back when asked is much better for my confidence overall.

In answer to OP though, I would under horse because I haven't had a horse of my own before, I think it would take a great deal of time to actually get bored of having my own horse for the first time, and also life/work can be quite full on at times and that's when a bit of boring might be welcome over having more challenges!

Cates123

Visit site
This is a tricky one because it has to balance what you feel is best now versus what you will feel when you've settled in with the horse. When I bought my horse I knew it would be a challenge and, at first, I really thought I'd over-horsed myself and it was a very up and down 6 months, however he actually did very little wrong and I realised that most of it was in my head - I was just expecting him to be tricky/excitable because of who he is (a big 4yr old ex-racer). There are occasions where he can be a bit much because he's a baby and I'm out of the habit of dealing with young ones, but it also reminds me that I'm not beyond dealing with it, which has been really reassuring as a rider. There have been times when I've wondered if I should have bought a 'ready-made' horse for ease but now we know each other, my confidence in both of us has grown and we're building a great relationship as we learn together. Importantly, he's definitely going to make me a better rider and I've been riding for nearly 40 years - isn't it great to discover how much there still is to learn and do!

In essence, it all depends on what you're looking to get out of a horse; a nice, relaxing way of life where you can both enjoy a more sedate pace, or something a bit different that could challenge you to push yourself and what you know. Either answer is fine! I would caveat that, if you choose the latter, it's a good idea to build assistance into your budget eg trainers, so that you have the support there if you need it.

I would also echo suggestions here that you should take some lessons / borrow horses to get your confidence on different horses and then restart the search for a new horse when you know more what you're looking for.

Good luck, it's an exciting time!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The horse in my avatar isn’t mine, he’s one of the (all very nice) horses at Cannock Chase trekking centre.

He’s often ridden by the rustier and more nervous riders, but I love riding him because, while he’s very well mannered, he’s so forward for me.

In that pic (a video still from a pro shoot) I was going to proceed for the video at my usual steady old ladies’ canter 🤣, but the centre owner urged to step him up and ‘ride him like you stole him’. He opened up beautifully then calmly pulled up when asked at the end - I adore him.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm on a livery yard at the moment and find it really sad when people overhorse themselves 😢.

It usually goes like this.
Look at my lovely new horse, I'm going to do dressage and jump and do all the things I couldn't do on Dobbin.
I think I better have lessons every week so I can be sure it's going right.
I'll just lunge him today and ride him when the instructor comes.
I'll let the instructor ride first so I can see how he's going.
I'll get someone in to ride him until my arm is out of plaster.
He goes so well for them , maybe they'll compete him for me.
This is costing me a fortune, I need to get back to riding him myself but I'll just lunge for now because I'm scared of getting hurt again.
Summer is coming , I'll just turn him away for a while.
Look how happy he is in the field .
I wish I had something to ride , it was nice hacking out on Dobbin.
I feel the panic riding thinking of riding smart new horse, I need to sell but can't ride him to sell him.
Off to sales livery with him and maybe I'll get enough to buy something I'm not terrified of.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm on a livery yard at the moment and find it really sad when people overhorse themselves 😢
Yes when we were at livery at teenage girl, about 15, decided that she had outgrown her lovely little cob, who made her look like a competent rider, was safe in traffic, up for a canter on grass verges etc. She sold the cob to an adult who had her for years and throughly enjoyed her. She got a fine build 15.2hh, which apparently had bucked her off at the viewing! Mum said she looked nice on her - but presumably not so great on the ground! Teenager vould do nothing with the horse, had lessons from a good trainer, had trainer school the horse and after a few months sold it on. She didn't get another horse.

tda

Visit site
I'd also say underhorsed, generally you can jazz them up a bit when fitter and you know how to ride them better ☺

Me and a friend sold a lovely cob to a lady who had great fun and came on leaps and bounds, she wanted to do dressage so she sold the cob and bought a taller skinnier horse. She has had about 4 horses now, with never ending injuries and they never seemed to get a place where they could do anything/go anywhere
That lady still visits said cob and rides him occasionally , owner still doing all the fun things

lme

Visit site
I don’t think it’s as simple as under or over horsed. You need to factor in how the horse is to be kept (compared to their current setup), how fit you are going to get them and whether you are the sort of rider that makes horses more whizzy or sends them to sleep.

minesadouble

Visit site
To me if someone is 'overhorsed' they have a horse they can't really manage that probably frightens them somewhat.
We have a large livery yard and I regularly see clients with too much horse for their ability and believe me it isn't much fun for them at all.
I see them ride down the farm road from my kitchen window and think 'why on earth do you do it to yourself?' They look petrified every time they cock a leg over the unfortunate animal and could be having so much more fun with something more suitable.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
I bought my New Forest in 2012. After about four years my best friend stopped asking me when I was going to get a real horse. I’ve fallen off her more times than any other horse but I love owning her.

She’s my “yes” horse because what ever we get invited to I say yes!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I had Fell ponies for 20 years. I liked them but after a while I wanted a bit more of a challenge than the one I had so got a nice colt to bring up and show as a stallion. I enjoyed him and the next one and did all sorts with them. When I was looking for my next ride I did want a challenge but I wanted one that was a different challenge without being dangerous and i still really wanted something tough and pony sized. That is partly how I ended up with my first Icelandic, who was actually quite an easy horse but still a steep learning curve with a whole new set of things to learn.

pistolpete

Visit site
You want neither. You really want a horse that you understand and that learns to understand you that is honest and brave and mostly pretty willing to give things a go. None of them are perfect but hopefully the right one will find you.

Reactions: tda