Which jacket/jodhpur combo?

Malin100

Visit site
Hello everyone,

I know there have been many threads about outfits, and I've read tons of them, but just can't quite seem to piece together a full answer for my question and seem to come across conflicting advice.

The situation is that there's a horse I ride at the moment (grey) and I have competed once with him (mostly in borrowed clothes) and will be trying to compete him in many more local shows this year. He mostly does show jumping, but I also quite fancy dressage, one day events, and potentially working hunter classes too. There's also the possibility I may ride some friends' horses in competitions occasionally.

At the moment I have:
  • a pair of beige jodhpurs
  • a white stock shirt
  • a black body protector
  • black long boots
  • black skull and silk (but don't mind getting a new silk if need be, it's just the one that came with the hat)

Ive been trying to find out what jacket (if any) would work across all of these disciplines. I previously borrowed a black jacket but I really dislike black on myself so I was mainly contemplating navy or a blue tweed potentially.

I also wanted to check if the beige jods and white stock shirt work with all these disciplines?

Furthermore, I don't have any nice gloves for competing, so will be buying these anyway - what colour would be best?

I'm hoping to spend as little as possible but still look smart and correct, so I'm aiming to buy one jacket to suit all competitions (second hand) and gloves. If I need to, I can buy a new hat silk and jodhpurs. I just want to make sure I make the right decisions now so I don't have to buy twice or panic buy before a competition.

One more question: I previously put my body protector over the jacket. When buying my own, is it better to buy a size larger and put it under? I will be wearing it for all disciplines.

Maia

Visit site
Get a nice tweed jacket, coloured stock to go with your shirt and a navy velvet for your hat :) I find gloves are pretty personal so go try some on but colour wise, unless you have amazingly still hands, go for black or brown.

As for the jacket and bp, again very much personal preference. Pop to a tack shop and try some jackets on under and over and see what feels best. Personally only wear bp for XC so I'd buy a jacket that fits me and if I had to put bp on with it then would do so over the top but if you wear a bp all the time then go for what is most comfortable.

Hope that helps.

Malin100

Visit site
Thanks. And if I went for tweed, is blue tweed a good option? Does it ever matter which colour tweed or is it always personal preference?

I read somewhere that you shouldn't wear black gloves but I wasn't sure if that advice was specific to one discipline. But then I thought if I got brown, it'd be the only brown thing I was wearing. Plus, as much as I thought dark gloves would be best, I then realised on a grey horse perhaps they're not? This stuff is just such a minefield!

kirstyfk

Visit site
I agree with Maia. What you have sounds fine for local shows, but if you want a new jacket buy a tweed jacket. One thing I do have to say is that I would never wear a stock shirt without a stock. I think white does look better with black, but if you get a navy jacket then get a cream one.

For BP I would put it over the jacket so if you are showing or dressaging you have a jacket which fits.

kirstyfk

Visit site
Tweed is personally preference. Blue tweed does look good with greys but green or brown will go with all.

If you have a black jacket go with black gloves, brown gloves for everything else. I normally just use those really cheap gloves as I always loose them.

Malin100

Visit site
Thanks!

So I may be fine for all disciplines if I buy:

• Blue tweed jacket
  • Brown gloves
  • Navy stock
  • and navy hat silk?

Then my outfit will be (top to bottom):
  • Navy hat silk
  • Blue tweed jacket
  • Navy stock
  • White shirt
  • Brown gloves
  • Beige jodhpurs
  • Black boots.

Bexx

Visit site
While blue looks nice on greys I don't really rate it on other colour horses. I'd go green personally. I do everything you have on your list on a range of horses as I ride for other people and wear the same outfit for all.
I wear-
Hat with navy velvet silk
Green tweed jacket
Shirt and navy tie(stocks are fine too )
Navy gloves
Beige/cream jods
Black boots :)
Hope that helps

CrazyMare

Visit site
Green tweeds are usually much nicer quality.

Try looking on eBay for makes like Mears, Alexander James, Pretty Ponies or Designer Browbands as they are good well known makes