which jumps to buy? advice please!

Lauraoscardillon

Visit site
I probably wouldnt consider myself a true competition rider, more riding club and moving onto some bsja and BE.

However, I though people here would have some good advice. I am looking into investing in some show jumps. However everything I've looked at is very expensive, and the cheaper ones have been so far away that the shipping makes them the same price.

I live in northumberland, so does anyone know of a cheap place to buy some from? I was hoping for jumps to include fillers, spreads, uprights ect, so I understand it is difficult to get them too cheaply. I was also wondering if there was anywhere else, such as wood mills that can make poles etc, so i can would just have to buy the wings and fillers?

sorry for the novel, hope someone has some advice! thanks, Laura

flyingfeet

Visit site
Well if it were me, I'd buy jump4joy jump stands and cups. They are expensive, but are so nice to use and the safety cups have saved both me and my horse hitting the deck when you mess up an oxer.

Then fillers are probably cheapest from classic showjumps, they now have distribution of safety system and their tango fillers are fairly cheap. Although again consider jump4joy.

Also you can buy interesting buckets for fillers from places like wickes for only £9.99. These are really useful.

Jump4joy also offer 10% discount to riding club members

Lauraoscardillon

Visit site
Thanks very much! So do you think it would be useful to get maybe wings and cups from jump4joy then maybe invest in poles from a wood mill?

the 10% discount will come in handy!!

kerilli

Visit site
seconded, J4J uprights are totally brilliant, poles from local woodmill. you can either paint them yourself or thread "pole rolls" on (plastic sleeves in diff colours, nice and spooky), you can get them on ebay.

connie1288

Visit site
Interesting, i saw your post earlier but didnt post as couldnt think of anything cheap but i wouldnt buy the new jump for joy, had some on a yard where i worked and they all broke, either the feet snapped off stands or cups snapped and jammed!! The older style ones are much better, luckily i still have a set!!
You can pick up poles cheap from timber yards and i have a piece of woodchip board that i am going to attach old bedmax bag to to make a filler!

Lauraoscardillon

Visit site
oh really? that is interesting, thanks!

And chipboard..that's a good idea! Looks like my jumps are getting cheaper...sawmill poles and chipboard fillers...now just need some good wings! I was hoping for wings you can make spreads on as well as uprights..if anyone knows of any..

again, thanks for all the replies! x

Baydale

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting, i saw your post earlier but didnt post as couldnt think of anything cheap but i wouldnt buy the new jump for joy, had some on a yard where i worked and they all broke, either the feet snapped off stands or cups snapped and jammed!! The older style ones are much better, luckily i still have a set!!
You can pick up poles cheap from timber yards and i have a piece of woodchip board that i am going to attach old bedmax bag to to make a filler!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got the new style J4J ones, about 2 yrs old now and they're fine. You'd think with the bashing they'd get with my horses if they were going to break they would.
wink.gif
Agree about using timber poles though, I hate the plastic ones.

Lauraoscardillon

Visit site
I heard the using timber poles was also useful because horses can also learn to knock plastic ones as they are lighter. I have three plastic poles and haven't found that yet..but il be buying timber ones from now on!

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
Can't remember where I saw them,
confused.gif
but I did see recently a 'bale bag' which was multicoloured with a diamond pattern and you put a straw/hay bale inside it to make a jump - interseting/spooky fillers!

They were plastic, presumably fairly heavy duty to withstand kicks etc and from memory (which I've just proved isn't great
blush.gif
) they were about £8 each? I'll see if I can remember where I saw them online and report back

Well, that was quicker than I thought - Jumpstack Bale Covers - there you go
grin.gif

chester1234

www.lkequestrian.com
Depends on the plastic poles - jump4joy do training weight and competition weight - the competition weight are wooden poles with plastic colouring that is vacuumed [sort of thing] on the wood. Training weight are just plastic. I tend to use the plastic ones with one that's getting a bit lazy, as if they knock them down they're v loud! Usually I use comp weight ones, and on an oxer comp weight on back rail training on front.

Lauraoscardillon

Visit site
Yes, the plastic ones certainly make a noise if he knocks it!

and Ludi_Doodi, thanks!! I think I may have seen there somewhere too...but my memory is also rubbish! I hadn't really taken much notice..but now you mention them again they sound like a good idea!! I'l have to rack my brains now!! x

flyingfeet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
....i wouldnt buy the new jump for joy, had some on a yard where i worked and they all broke, either the feet snapped off stands or cups snapped and jammed!!...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well J4J do a 5 year guarantee, so either your yard was really lazy and didn't do anything about them, or they broke through abuse?

connie1288

Visit site
They tried with guarantee and just got sent new ones boss wasnt happy. I have the old ones and love them, just found the new cups annoying.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I honestly believe Jumps on Line & Jump 4 Joy are extremely expensive & there are many cheaper options that will save you hundreds of pounds. Draw up what you want & have a local carpenter or Handyman build them for you, they are easy to make & won't cost a fortune. I have built full size wings, training jump stands, bought poles, built hanging gates & fillers, it isn't difficult. The poles are easy & cheap enough to buy & if you don't want to paint the poles you can buy multi coloured sleeves to cover them. Fillers are easy to make, don't use chipboard though becasue it is heavy & will absorb water & 'blow' very easily.

Don't buy cheap plastic cups they are useless, won't last & are difficult to use. I bought cups that could be changed in moments with just one hand, they were galvanised, well made & including p+p cost about £7 a pair.

Looking after horses is a costly business so why spend a fortune of plastic jumps & poles when there are alternatives.
wink.gif

I just priced up a simple jump on the Jump 4 Joy site, 2 simple wings, 4 cups & 2 x 3 mtr poles & that was £221 + delivery. I could build several quality jumps for that.