Which livery yard?

MarinaBay

Visit site
Morning,

I will soon be weaning my mare and foal and will be bringing my mare back into work. I will be moving my mare away from stud and have to make a decision as to which yard would be best.
I work full time 30 minutes from home in a new job.

Yard 1
10 minutes from home.
£25 per week DIY - Assisted livery available which is very reasonable.
Stable, group turnout - max herd 6. Plenty of grazing
Floodlit school
Lunge pen
Off road hacking straight from yard
Hay £4 a bale straw £1 a bale.
About 20 other liveries

Yard 2
2 minutes from home.
Free including hay etc - I have to house sit which is quite often and help out with her horse in exchange.
Stable, individual turn out as only one other horse, plenty of grazing.
School with no lights
Hacking not great but do able.
1 other livery who will only ride during the day when I am at work.

I was all set to go to yard 2 until A, the new job and then B, the other livery that was going to be there and help with the work is no longer moving there.

The idea of yard 2 sounds ideal but is hard work, yard 1 would work well in the fact that I have a new job and the assisted livery will really help.

flying solo

Visit site
I'd probable go to yard 1. It's best to pay your way than return favours etc as it offen seems like your being taken advantage of if you have to do a lot whilst the other livery doesn't do anything. Plus lights is a huge bonus in the school and mixed turn out is more natural for your mare.

Either way good luck x

Natz88

Visit site
I was all set to go to yard 2 until A, the new job and then B, the other livery that was going to be there and help with the work is no longer moving there.

The idea of yard 2 sounds ideal but is hard work, yard 1 would work well in the fact that I have a new job and the assisted livery will really help.

From reading this bit of the thread, I think you have answered you own question.

Yard 2 would be nice, but if you feel it will be a struggle, you wouldn't want to move there, to then move again as it's not working out & if you will need help every so often Yard 1 offers help :)

L&M

Visit site
I would base a decision on:

Hacking - is this your main activity? If so I would go for yard 1.

Finances - are you happy to pay when you have a 'free option'.

Social - do you like riding with others and yard banter? If so go for yard 1.

Horse - not all horses like big yards, but equally with only 1 other for comapany would your mare be happy when the other horse is ridden, and not mind being on its own for short periods?

My concern with yard 2 would be if your the arrangement breaks down or the owner no longer needs your help. With an proper livery yard you would have more rights, especially as you are paying.

If you go yard 2 I would ask the owner to draw up some form of contract specifying what is expected of both parties.

Good luck!

MarinaBay

Visit site
Thank you for your responses.

I think you are right I have more or less decided yard 1 is the best option for me. Question is how do I break the news to yard 2!

My mare has arthitis in her fetlocks so hacking will be our main activity especially whilst I am bringing her back in to work.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Just tell them thank you very much for the offer, but you are a bit worried about getting organised with your new job and feel that it would be better to have somewhere with assisted livery for at least a few months while you work out how much time you have etc. Tell them you wouldn't want to risk having to let them down with the care of their own horse etc... If you are honest and polite, and give them enough notice (ie, you weren't supposed to move in this weekend..) they should be fine - if they aren't you're better off out of it!

MarinaBay

Visit site
Just tell them thank you very much for the offer, but you are a bit worried about getting organised with your new job and feel that it would be better to have somewhere with assisted livery for at least a few months while you work out how much time you have etc. Tell them you wouldn't want to risk having to let them down with the care of their own horse etc... If you are honest and polite, and give them enough notice (ie, you weren't supposed to move in this weekend..) they should be fine - if they aren't you're better off out of it!

Very true Honey! Thank you. Thanks everyone I have just responded to her text message - she is away in a bad reception area so I had to tell her via text :( I have said more or less what Honey suggested - which was perfectly worded just in my panic I couldn't get my head around it!!