Which low cal chaff ?

FreshandMinty

Visit site
Which low cal chaff do people use and think is the best ?

currently using Dodson & Horrell Safe & Sound which my ponies all love but I found out it has alfa a in it these days, which is fine for most of mine but i do have one who reacts to it. Ive also heard it has molasses in it too :( Ive heard good things about Top Chop Lite, does anyone use that?

Nicnac

Visit site
I spent ages with my feed merchant reading all the labels as wanted something really light. Have switched to Hi-Fi lite as it's the least calorific of them all (at my feed merchants), but does have Alfalfa in it mixed with straw as well as molasses extract -not molasses as such.

Top Spec lite is more expensive. Simple Systems do a Lucie Stalks which is mega lo-cal but expensive and a faff to get hold of.

Why are you feeding them more than just a balancer? Are they turned out? Could you not just give a handful of hay?

khalswitz

Visit site
My personal lo cal choice is HiFi molasses free, but it does contain some alfalfa. You'll find most of then will!! Personally I don't have an alfalfa reactive horse so I hVent gone hunting for a good one without alfalfa.

dreambigpony

Visit site
I use honeychop oat straw chaff. Very basic but if its just used to bulk up the feed then its perfect. My horse loves it and it is completely natural, no molasses!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I use Mollichaff Donkey-despite the molasses its low sugar and protein. Have two natives on it both barefoot and both great atm. all of mine ended up refusing the honey chop plain straw.

Yuki1290

Visit site
I use Dengie Healthy Hooves (the molasses free version). However, for your alpha-A intolerant horse, I would also suggest Graze On.

Alchemy

Visit site
I pay £10.50 for a bag of Top Chop Lite by Top Spec which was recommend to me for my PPID horse by a lady from the Laminitis Trust :) seems to last longer than the dengie lite i used to use and is obviously far better as its molasses free.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Honeychop oat straw. It is literally that, nothing else added at all. I mix it with his balancer and MagOx and Brewers yeast and salt - he loves it. A big bag lasts forever and is about a tenner or so I think.

Fjord

Visit site
I use the honeychop oat straw too. Dampened with a little apple juice and with a scoop of mint my mare will happily eat all her supplements in it.