which pelham to get... also in SY but might get more responses here

black_horse

Visit site
i am in the process of taking my horse off training livery onto assisted DIY after falling out with the trainer. i have a disability and although i am a good rider, i am not as strong as i used to be. the horse is being accustomed to a double bridle for schooling but is currently ridden in a loose ring bridoon for everything. however, i know my limitaitons and for hacking (which she gets very strong over) i want a nice pelham just to have there if i need it.

i am a good rider dont get my wrong, my disability is in one of my legs, but this is the first time in 4 years ill be responsible for her entirely myself and i want to make sure we are both safe and happy. i was looking to hacking her out in a pelham and double rein as i think she would like this bit...however i am stumped as to which one to get...vulcanites are too big, she has quite a small mouth but can disrespect bits sometimes. she is quite a young mare (rising 7) so i want to make all her work a pleasent experience. any help greatly appreciated.

hellspells

Visit site
Get one with a link/lozenge in it (I have one you can try if you want but its a rugby pelham). If you look about there are plenty of non expensive small ones around. I think its just a case of window shopping (which I know you'd hate
tongue.gif
) until you see something suitable.

black_horse

Visit site
laugh.gif
yeah i hate shopping...
laugh.gif
lol

rugby pelhams need to be used to the double bridle...now im lazy so i have a spare bridle for the pelham to go on
wink.gif

which means i have 1x snaffle bridle, 1x double bridle, 1x show bridle (rolled leather, patent otto schumacher), 1x pelham bridle

laugh.gif
i was thinking maybe a jointed pelham or a cambridge pelham but i have never ridden her in a straight bar before.

to note the bits she has had..
NS loose ring french link snaffle
NS loose ring snaffle
Loose ring snaffle
hanging cheek snaffle
full cheek fulmer
full cheek french link fulmer
loose ring bridoon.

her double:
fixed cheek low port weymouth
loose ring bridoon

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
If she's going well in the low port weymouth, try a low port pelham. I find a mullen mouth pelham makes my cob lean, but the port gives him more tongue room. I haven't ever ridden in one, but I do struggle with the concept of a jointed bit with a curb - surely the 'flex' in the bit at the joint/s negates the action of the curb? Just my thoughts on it!

black_horse

Visit site
thats what i am starting to think, however i am worried she may lean on the mullen mouth pelham...hmm i think i might go for the cambridge pelham.

Worried1

Visit site
I personally would stick to the double - you know she goes well in it and if you are using two reins on the pelham why not just stick with something that works rather than chopping and changing.

There should be no negative association with the double if used correctly, ours are still 'working' when out hacking so for them the only difference becomes the scenery.

black_horse

Visit site
laugh.gif
hello worried1
laugh.gif

was just worrying slightly as my mare can be sneaky but i am sure i am worrying excessively
smile.gif
moving on the first so ill be in touch regarding lessons from your OH
laugh.gif

black_horse

Visit site
my old rig used to make the association
wink.gif
hence the worry she would...mind you after her spook at her shadow the otherday..i should be more worried that fact the lights are on but no one is home
smirk.gif

Visit site
phellams are not great bit if your horse gets strong, they tend to make the horse lean and lrean to tuck their chin in to avoid the action. using a double bridle all the time is not the answer either esspecially if your horse has a small mouth. i would recomend a pinchless snaffle possibly hangging cheek, they are small light and are hard for the horse to take a hold on. which ever one you try use it in the school first and make sure they are repecting the half holt, or it wont matter what bit you are using.

Erehwemos

Visit site
Happy Mouth pelhams are very good - I tried my girl in one when she didnt like the vulcanite (also too bulky) and she went beautifully in it - we used to jump in it all the time when I first got her
smile.gif