Which Prelim Dressage Tests have a short canter?

Frizbert

New User
Visit site
Can any one please point me in the direction of which Prelim dressage tests have short canters. I am struggling to canter for long periods and 'on demand' because I'm waiting for spinal surgery on my 'knackered' back. I have recently taken up dressage but have only be doing Intro tests because I find trotting ok. I want to step it up a bit but can't maintain a canter for long because it's too painful. I know that Prelim 1 is very short, which looks perfect, but I'm wondering if there are any others that I could be looking out for. Thank you in advance!

lauracwd2

Visit site
I find Prelim 13 not too bad, you pick up canter halfway through a 20m circle at A, then down the long side, start another 20m circle at C and back to trot halfway through that. Also the two canters are broken up with the walk work which gives you a breather.

McFluff

Visit site
I would avoid P12 and P14 - both these have more canter. The rest all seem to be a circle or two half circles and the long side.

rachk89

Visit site
In all honesty should you be doing this when you have a bad back? You are waiting on surgery and you could potentially make things worse by the time that comes in which case maybe they then can't fully fix it?

Its your back of course but I am just thinking long term and am worried of what damage this could be causing you.

Frizbert

New User
Visit site
Good point and I agree about the risks. I'm stubborn though and I'm determined not to let my back stop me. The consultant is happy with me riding and keeping active to help with core strength. I did tell him I have a very sensible horse though 😊

rachk89

Visit site
Good point and I agree about the risks. I'm stubborn though and I'm determined not to let my back stop me. The consultant is happy with me riding and keeping active to help with core strength. I did tell him I have a very sensible horse though 😊

Oh I know all about being stubborn and really I am not one to talk. I broke my leg and got back on a horse while still using a crutch to walk. Just was worried when I saw this as back injuries are so easy to make worse just be careful. :)