Which saddle for backing?

Impu1sion

Visit site
Hi all, the time has come for my baby horse to be backed and I am humming and ha-ing over whether to get her a GP saddle for this, or use one of the dressage saddles I have. One of them is a bit wide but fits with padding, I also have an older dressage saddle which fits her quite well. I see most people using a GP saddle though, why might this be (are they more secure lol?) Interested in your opinions please!

Under-the-radar

Visit site
I backed in a dressage saddle I had available - it fitted my youngster and I preferred the more secure seat that I felt I had in it. As I only ride in dressage saddles, I find the seat on most GP saddles to open and shallow for my liking.

I would use whatever looks like a good fit (bearing in mind that fit may alter once you put a person in the saddle), and be prepared to adjust shims, or saddles as youngster progresses

PorkChop

Visit site
I would use whichever saddle fitted the best - doesn't really matter what type it is :)

I don't own a GP, so I either use a dressage or jumping saddle.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I backed into a dressage saddle, for two reasons saddle security for me :D and freedom of shoulder movement for her. She has large shoulders, big movement and has been prone to being a bit weehaa about life :eek:.

I really dilike gp's as they never seem to do anything for me and my position and most of the ones I've seen just interfer with the movement of the horse.

However, I also go with what ever fits the horse as with a baby they change shape fast!

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I use a jump saddle, but I think it is personal preference. Obviously needs to fit, but you also need to feel secure in it. If you usually ride in a dressage saddle then I would go with that.

Impu1sion

Visit site
Thanks for your comments. I do mostly ride in a dressage saddle so agree with all your points. I just wanted to check, as I see people mostly using GP saddles and wondered if I should be! ;-)