Which side of your horse's neck is correct to plait/lie mane on?

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
I have ALWAYS plaited and tried to lie my horses' manes on the right, without exception as this is what I have been taught.

However, at Olympia about 60% of the horses had their manes on the left - Including the household cavalry
confused.gif

Have I missed something? could someone please set me right? My horse's mane persistently lies on the left so I would be very willing to change my ways
tongue.gif

Thanks!

miller

Visit site
Always done rhs too - although my lad has enough thickness of mane to do both sides even when pulled - maybe I should start a new trend
blush.gif

pootler

Visit site
I think this is an evil practice created in the 19th century to torture grooms. Both my horses manes want to lie on the left, I have been wrestling with one of the boys mane for years. I have now given up with the other and am flying in the face of convention and having his mane on the left hand side.

As you can see, based on the horses at Olympia, I am actually very current and contemporary in my views......

ann-jen

Visit site
I'm surprised about the household cavalry as I always believed the tradition to plait on the right stemmed from cavalry officers having to hold the reins in their left hand and a sword in the right hand and so the mane was trained to the right so it didn't tangle in the reins.

kerilli

Visit site
i plait to whichever side the mane wants to lie, sick to death of battling with manes which want to be on the other side! i event though, so no-one's likely to mark me down for the horse being incorrectly plaited! one or two people have remarked on it over the years though.
someone told me once that, years ago, mares' manes were plaited to one side, geldings' to the other. don't know whether this is true or not though.
it's not true that if the stud groom smooths the mane to the right side the moment the foal is born, it will always grow neatly to that side (which i was always told!) i've done it with a few foals now, and it still persists in going to whichever side it wants!

christine48

Visit site
the english usually tend to pull and plait manes on the off side. The continental horses manes (most of the horses at Olympia were WBs ) tend to lie on the near side. saying that all mine seem to lie on the near side so i've just given in

lilpinkdonkey4

Visit site
As memo has said i always believed that the left was for the continental horses too... so left is for the french, maybe its to do with what side you drive on!!! although, maybe not... we drive on the left... hmmm not sure!

Stella

Visit site
My mare's mane lies on the left and (at this early stage - only just started the taking her out palavour) I am still forcing it to the right to plait due to the chorus of groans and cries from those around me when I even consider doing otherwise
crazy.gif
I weaken lest people think I have done it because I don't know about tradition (sad I know)!

We're only doing dressage too.

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
J's lies on the left and I had hapily left it like this as he is never going to show, mosly just event, so figured it didnt realy matter.

Then when I broke my leg and he went away for 5 weeks my trainer decided to make it lie on the right (she is very fussy about this LOL)

It now sticks straight up in the air what ever I do!!!!!

Hollycat

Visit site
I guess since it is winter it is the idea time to force it to the correct side with the use of a neck rug. If I pull/trim my boys mane short it goes curly like an affro
shocked.gif
and sticks stright up, so I have to leave it long. But I LOVE short, smart manes. Am going to shorten it then try and train it with his neck rug.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I pull my mares mane too short to plait as it lies on both sides all the way up and is so thick it was too much of a fiddle to plait it
smile.gif

only_me

Visit site
The correct side is the off side :)

Same for traditionals etc. :)

My horse's mane lies half on the off and half on the near side! :p

it is a particular bug bear of mine to have manes plaited on the near side :p

Equi

Visit site
Wanted to revive this thread, cause my new loans mane is on the left and my first comment was about how i woul dhave fun relayin it. Does it just look better on the right????

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh who cares; what difference does it make? Manes grow the way they grow and to worry about which side is "correct" is just plain silly, IMO.

Visit site
My scruffbag shetlands have theirs laying which ever side they want to lay on. My show shetlands get it trained to the right. My TB's have always been trained to the right to make it easier for pulling - nothing worse than trying to pull a mane on the right that is trained to the left! Takes twice as long!

At work they just lay wherever the want.

Always plait on the right though no matter what.

PolarSkye

Visit site
It now sticks straight up in the air what ever I do!!!!!

Left to its own devices, Kal's mane lies to the right until halfway down his neck, when it switches to the left for about three inches, and then reverts to the right . . . I pull/plait to the right, but this usually results in him sporting a mohawk - particularly when he's rolled and there is just enough dirt/dust in the base of his mane to stiffen it and make it stand straight up ;).

P

Tnavas

Visit site
I vote for anarchy and plaits on both sides for thick manes
grin.gif

My friend has a Lusitano stallion and this is what she does, but uses a mane roll. One plait that travels down the neck line.

Always have plaited to the right, I remember having to loosely plait mains to the right to try to train them over.

I guess like many things traditions are being lost.

Capriole

Visit site
I was thinking about this thread earlier when I was mane pulling. Got two new arrivals with horrendously scruffy long manes, one lies nicely to the right, the other to the left. I made an executive decision to leave the left lying mane as it is, rather than try to train it over and risk the mohawk look. At least it's tidily all on one side. She's lacking in muscle though so we will see if it separates and flips when she's built up some neck. If it does I will train it over then.

I always plait to the right, but not all countries have the same tradition so I wouldn't expect to see horses at an International show all plaited on the same side as we do in the UK.