Which stallion for my mares (SWB and TB)

JonnisSwe

Visit site
I have to mares and I want to put them into foal this year.
Mare 1 is a 5 year old grey by Odermus R-Rhett Butler xx-Battleburn xx. She has a fantastic temperament, lots of energy. Nice gaits (not a dressage horse) and jumps nice. She has been injuried 1.5 years now. I belive she will make a great eventing horse. She needs a big framed stallion with good gaits, jumping and scope.

Nr 2 is a TB mare, 9 years old by Songline xx-exceller xx. She aleo needs a big framed stallion with great jumping and gaits. She has been racing since she was 2 and ran her last race last year. Nice walk, bad trot and okey canter. She jumps well.

I would like to have eventing horses :) both mares are 160 cm and I dont want smaller horses.
Thanks!

Rollin

Visit site
Why not use a Cleveland Bay for your TB mare? The problem will be that there are no Cleveland Bay stallions in Continental Europe ( except mine) and not much frozen semen available.

West Kington Stud have semen for Borderfame Prince Charming, I have some stored for one of my mares. He had a wonderful temperament and stood over 17hh. There is a part bred Cleveland Bay stallion in Holland called Ravel, a grandson of Manningtree Hermes who was purchased by a state run stud in Holland to 'improve' their own breeding.

Somewhere, I have contact details for his owner.

JonnisSwe

Visit site
Dont know if "big framed" is the right word, the stallion must have a good type. My 5 year old has not a very good type. Here they are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5so4Ma7-AHQ
Here is my 5 year old when she was on a youngster test when she was 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geFjBOdO2Ws She had been ridden 15 times before this and never inside.

I dont want to loose "blood" to much. If I could use any stallion in the world I would choose Heraldik xx...but its impossible :(

crabbymare

Visit site
the ones I would be looking at would be from Likoto who is TB or not full tb but has a good canter and gallop is Viscount or possibly Stalypso. worth having a look and thinking if any would be a good match for either of your mares. its a shame Lemon park is not around as he would have been another although not as good as Heraldik who could have suited you

Last edited:

Rollin

Visit site
Dont know if "big framed" is the right word, the stallion must have a good type. My 5 year old has not a very good type. Here they are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5so4Ma7-AHQ
Here is my 5 year old when she was on a youngster test when she was 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geFjBOdO2Ws She had been ridden 15 times before this and never inside.

I dont want to loose "blood" to much. If I could use any stallion in the world I would choose Heraldik xx...but its impossible :(

Oh Sorry!! A good type? Three photos of a pure bred CB stallion who conveys to his offspring, three useful characteristics. Conformation, light elegant and ground covering paces and temperament. Expect also from a CB powerful hindquarters and stamina.

Last pic is the result of crossing a Cleveland bay with a thoroughbred. A friend's horse bred to be an eventer.

IMG_9042_zps4fe42198.jpg

IMG_9066_zps2428ca87.jpg

IMG_8291.jpg

120923_045-1.jpg

Blood?? The stallion featured can trace his pedigree back to 1679 The Byerley Turk. Whilst TB breeders remember the three Arabians, which produced the TB, namely, the Byerley Turk, the Godophin Arabian and the Darley Arabian, lost in the mist of time are the mares to whom they were mated.

Sadly lost from the website of CBHS is the wonderful article by the late Nigel Cowgill, Highpasture Cleveland Bays, in which he explains that 72 of the 78 foundation mares for the English Thoroughbred Studbook were Yorkshire Gallowers.

I breed Shagya Arabs, Cleveland Bays and cross the two. I think they are pretty 'good types'.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It depends what level you want to event at though surely Rollin? I noticed speed wasn't on your list and the tbxcb pic is a pretty heavy horse compared to most top flight eventers these days.

that and the OP doesn't have a plethora of CBs available in Sweden ;).
Ravel is dressage not eventing??, I'm not sure that diluted CB 3 generations back is that significant tbh.

Springs

Visit site
You could look at Springfield Symphony at around 75% TB and with some ID. He is available by frozen in Europe and is ideal for breeding eventers. One of his youngsters is advertised on here in the Stallions at Stud, he is Spring's Spirit also around 75% TB but not available for export this year Spring's Spirit has qualified for the British Eventing young horse championships for the past 2 years and finished last year on 8 jumping double clears in eventing . Let me know if you need any further information.

GoblinPony

Visit site
Have a look at Sixtus. He might be a good match for your TB mare. He is a 16.2 hh Trakehner. Very nice type, great paces. He was an international Grand Prix showjumper and his sire, Habicht, was an advanced event horse. Stands in Germany.