Which test??

khalswitz

Visit site
So, we've been invited to go out dressaging with a friend. Normally we have to hack to our venues, so this is quite a nice chance.

The venue is running BD and unaffiliated, of which my friend is doing the unaff p15 and n24. It's her first attempt at Novice, and she was trying to encourage us to have a go at a Novice as well. Until last weekend, and our first attempt at BD, I was well up for a Novice attempt - he's been scoring 65-69 in Prelim classes since January unaff, and to be honest scores better in the long arena tests as there's more to do and keeps him better focussed - but our BD debut gave us a bit of a shock with scores of 59 and 60, partly because he needed a wee it urned out, but it has made me reconsider attempting anything higher until we've established ourselves at BD Prelim.

So I was considering then doing the p12 and p15 affiliated, whilst she did p15 and n24 unaff - however this is going to mean getting her to take us up quite a bit earlier, and she hinted she might just do prelim then if we wouldn't do novice. So feeling a bit guilty.

What would you do? Movement wise, he can do everything in the N24, but if he gets a bit tense due to new venue/new level etc then we'll likely end up even worse scoring than we did in the BD prelim as I know the jump to Novice is a reasonable one (less than Novice to Elem I'm told).

First world problems, I know, but have a Chocolate Button and indulge me :p

PaddyMonty

Visit site
If you can come away from the venue having got a low mark in the novice and not let it bother you or knock confidence then do which ever you want. If you take the scores to heart a bit then stick with prelim.

khalswitz

Visit site
If you can come away from the venue having got a low mark in the novice and not let it bother you or knock confidence then do which ever you want. If you take the scores to heart a bit then stick with prelim.

To be honest, if I got a low mark in the Novice, I think it would just reinforce what I already know - that he needs lots of casual outings at prelim BD to stop me worrying about it being affiliated, and lots of work on lateral suppleness and maintaining the engagement (which we are working on at home). I'm just unsure whether he'd benefit more from another pair of tests BD (especially as his second test is usually better, and both prelim tests are ones we like and usually score well in!) or whether dipping the toe in at Novice unaff with no pressure and no score recording may end up giving us a confidence boost (as in, if he got higher than a 58/59 I'd be pleased we were on the right track anyway), or whether it would be a bit of a waste of time and entry fee...

khalswitz

Visit site
Personally, I'd do the two aff prelims. I wouldn't worry about playing novice until you get more of a feel for the affiliated prelims :) That doesn't help with your friend's issue I'm afraid, but just my thoughts.

See, that's my thought. I don't think a Novice will do us any active *harm*, but I'm not sure how much we'll get out of it rather than another two aff prelims under our belts. He won't fail spectacularly at Novice, but just I don't want to rush him when I feel the important basics (ESPECIALLY suppleness) are not *there* enough at proper affiliated prelim.

It's how to break it to my friend without sounding like I'm either hijacking her day, or being a pain... or being a wuss about stepping up and trying out a higher level. Hmm.

mrsh2010

Visit site
My lad got bored of unaffiliated Prelims, so we did push on with Novice, after all the Mediums are the main addition. We expected our scores to dip slightly and they did but it was only by 2-3%. But it gave my lad more to think about, and to be honest it's helped us improve with our basics

You've got nothing to lose, unless you really are after placings, as in N24 it's only the mediums that are any different.

khalswitz

Visit site
My lad got bored of unaffiliated Prelims, so we did push on with Novice, after all the Mediums are the main addition. We expected our scores to dip slightly and they did but it was only by 2-3%. But it gave my lad more to think about, and to be honest it's helped us improve with our basics

You've got nothing to lose, unless you really are after placings, as in N24 it's only the mediums that are any different.

I'm definitely not after placings. I know the only real difference was the medium trot strides (and the half ten metre circles but he did those at intro) in terms of movements, but does the marking not get harsher in terms of scales of training too? That's more what I'm worried about, as his suppleness is very hit and miss - if I don't ride the centre line and first turn absolutely right we end up with a stiff test.

It certainly won't do any harm, to try was just not sure if an extra BD prelim would be more productive. The prelim right before the novice is our favourite test, so he'll have the best possible first test to warm up with if we do do the Novice, too... just don't want to over-push it I guess? I don't know.

Can you tell I'm very indecisive and in need of handholding at all times? ;)

Madali

Visit site
I always find I get similar scores at Novice that I get in the prelim because as long as the moves are accurate you will only lose marks on the moves that you muck up.
I have just started out with my 4 year old and have found the same to be true from intro to prelim.
On the point of your friend kindly taking you. If she is making the effort to transport you it is only fair to make a compromise to fit in with her. ( I say this as I know what a ball ache it is when I take somebody and have to gang around)
So there you go decision made for you. Have fun

Daytona

Visit site
My horse did her 1st affiliated comp today and it was also her first ever prelim test and she did her ever first novice , she not been under saddle that long (it was a big day for her)

She got eliminated in P17 but due to bit rings anyway they aside she actually scored higher in the novice than she did prelim, both were open sections.

It suited her better as more going on. We won't bother with Prelim again, she will just jump straight to novice missing prelim out.

I'd give the novice a bash then see how you do and from there work out which level your better suited to for outings going forward

That's what we did.

suzi

Visit site
If you were going by yourself I'd say do 2 prelims but as you are being offered transport I'd do the tests your friend is doing or if you don't want to do the novice just do the second prelim so you're not interfering with your friends plans.

Lolo

Visit site
Kick on for the novice. I'd go in thinking of it as a way to really work on test riding skills rather than fussing overly about pushing for movements he isn't feeling ready to produce- so how to make the medium trot really look impressive by carefully preparing and presenting, making sure you hit every marker and things like that. The worst the judge can realistically say to you is that she doesn't think he's ready for novice yet, which you seem to agree with mostly...

soulfull

Visit site
I would have a go at the novice for 2 reasons

1) support for your friend who kindly offered to take you, not too mention could lead to further outings if you help her
2) you said you horse got better scores when there were more movements in the prelim so just maybe he would do better in novice
At least you would find out

khalswitz

Visit site
If you were going by yourself I'd say do 2 prelims but as you are being offered transport I'd do the tests your friend is doing or if you don't want to do the novice just do the second prelim so you're not interfering with your friends plans.

That's a big motivator as I'm very grateful to her for taking me and don't want to be a pest, as in super grateful for the offer of a lift.

I always find I get similar scores at Novice that I get in the prelim because as long as the moves are accurate you will only lose marks on the moves that you muck up.
I have just started out with my 4 year old and have found the same to be true from intro to prelim.
On the point of your friend kindly taking you. If she is making the effort to transport you it is only fair to make a compromise to fit in with her. ( I say this as I know what a ball ache it is when I take somebody and have to gang around)
So there you go decision made for you. Have fun

Haha thanks :) Good to know you've found them pretty similar, and you're right I don't want to be a pain when she's been very kind to offer!!

My horse did her 1st affiliated comp today and it was also her first ever prelim test and she did her ever first novice , she not been under saddle that long (it was a big day for her)

She got eliminated in P17 but due to bit rings anyway they aside she actually scored higher in the novice than she did prelim, both were open sections.

It suited her better as more going on. We won't bother with Prelim again, she will just jump straight to novice missing prelim out.

I'd give the novice a bash then see how you do and from there work out which level your better suited to for outings going forward

That's what we did.

Good idea - won't do any harm to test the water at least and see were he's at, at the very least well know he's not ready for novice, or we might be pleasantly surprised!! And with it being a listed judge it means well have a good indicator too.

Kick on for the novice. I'd go in thinking of it as a way to really work on test riding skills rather than fussing overly about pushing for movements he isn't feeling ready to produce- so how to make the medium trot really look impressive by carefully preparing and presenting, making sure you hit every marker and things like that. The worst the judge can realistically say to you is that she doesn't think he's ready for novice yet, which you seem to agree with mostly...

Very true, that is the worst that could happen - and good practice at getting him attentive to what is being asked as it will be a bit quicker paced. Won't do us any harm and we could be pleasantly surprised :)

I would have a go at the novice for 2 reasons

1) support for your friend who kindly offered to take you, not too mention could lead to further outings if you help her
2) you said you horse got better scores when there were more movements in the prelim so just maybe he would do better in novice
At least you would find out

Yes, he does do MUCH better in the later prelims, esp the championship tests where there's loads of transitions and rein changes, not endless circles and cantering round the arena. And would be much nicer to be doing the same two tests for support as well as for ease of time etc!!

Looks like decision made then!! Especially as we've also entered for a pair of prelims at BD the following weekend at our usual venue, so best of both worlds ;) entry being done as we speak!!! Thanks for the hand holding all!!