Which trailer?

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Hello
It's been at least 100 years since I last logged on (well maybe not that long, but the forum has changed and my username has reverted back to a very old one!).

Anyway, those who do remember me (Lucy_Spring) - hello! And hello to people I don't know as well

I am after a trailer, I have about £3000 to spend and have to travel Springy, a rather elephant-like 16.2hh stroppy mare. So what do people advise? I am obviously considering Ifor Williams, but 505 or 510? While Springy would theoretically fit in a 505, she is a pain to load (hence getting a trailer for lots and lots of practicing!) and I want to make things as easy as possible on me. Any other brands to consider? We are getting a Toyota Landcruiser to tow with if that is a consideration to the trailer people recommend.

I am particularly interested to hear from anyone with a larger horse in a 505 or 506 and how they manage. To start with we will remove the partition to encourage loading, but I would like to be able to take other horses with us at some stage.

Thanks in advance.
Lucy

competitiondiva

Visit site
I love my Richardson supreme, it's designed to take 2 x 17.2 big hunters! with a payload of 1600Kg!! Despite this it's Gross weight is slightly less than the ifor 510! It also has 7'6 headroom which is more than the ifor. And of course the front ramp opens on the correct side for the UK!!! unloading onto the grass verge and not oncoming traffic!!!!

I was looking for an ifor 510, but this one came along first and I haven't regretted it yet!

holt889

Visit site
I have a Bateson Ascot trailer and have been really pleased with it. We got the barn door version so horses have to step up into it ( there is a small ramp that you can pull out if you want to ) and in the 2 years I've had it I've not had 1 animal refuse to go in...some have been normally awkward loaders as well. I haven't had anything extra large in but a freinds BIG 16.3 fits in fine! The partition can be folded in half as well which some times helps with difficult loaders.
I looked into all types of trailer before I decided which to buy and saw a post on here that said to ring Bateson direct and see what they had in stock. They had exactly what I wanted and delivered it 3 days later to my door....they also give you a discount for buying direct and I dare say if you ask for more discount you would get it ! Hope this helps!

_daisy_

Visit site
id go for a bateson or a rice richardson over the ifors. much better build and just generally a better trailer.
I looked around at the trade stands on both the above mentioned companies and found them fantastic.
in the end I opted for an Equitrek with living.
Oh that reminds me, another HHO user mentioned that Equitrek had brought out a new version without living, think it was caleld the Trail trekka -that could suit your needs.

NotAnotherChestnut

Visit site
I have a Bateson deauville and I've always been delighted with it. It's lighter than the ifors and has "car suspension" i.e the wheels move independently on each side over bumps giving the horse a smoother ride. The ifors have jointed suspension I believe where if one wheel goes over a bump, the whole axel will move, therefore more bumpy. (apologies, I'm sure there is a more technical description than I've been able to convey!) btw, this was correct when I got mine 3 years ago.. Whether ifor changed the suspension with the newer model, I don't know.

happily fits in my big irish horse and feels good to tow

fruity

Visit site
I have a Bateson and have had a Ifor in the past also,the Ifor is no where near as good. The bateson is much steardier and v quiet to tow,the Ifor's i find so rattly and a v jerky ride for the horses. If i did change mine i would be getting a Equitrek so i could travel my big wide cob with my mare,finances won't permit for a while though as we've gone from horses to 4 in a v short time! I love my Bateson and am sooo pleased with it,it has the saddle racks etc in it too which is a bonus.

redcascade

Visit site
If you were going to get an Ifor I would get a 506 or a 510, my horse is supposed to be 16.2 and I would feel very uncomfortable travelling in the 505 due to the roof height on them, I would definately get a larger one- I love my 506, it's very light and airy and there is plenty of room for my boy and his friend :D

belle31

Visit site
Im with you all I bought a second hand bateson ascot (with the rear ramp, not step up) and i am impressed, lovely and light and airy and fine to tow. All the ramps are so eay to manage so you are fine to travel on your own. I have my 16.1hh TB and 13hh M&M pony in together no trouble.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Another vote for Bateson. I had a Deauville & it towed beautifully. Our horses always loaded well into the very airy & welcoming box. They don't rattle as they tow along, the floor height is lower than the Ifors eyc & there is a couple of saddle racks at the front that are very useful. They also keep their value probably better than any other trailer.

Dizzykizzy

Visit site
I am another Richardson fan. We have the Supreme Excel, rear facing and it is the best trailer I have ever used and our horse who used to hate the Ifor, loves it. As someone else mentioned it has a very high payload and is very tall! Research has shown that horses travel better facing the rear.
I personally wouldn't buy a 505 or 506 for a 16.2hh, it is only just big enough and if the horse is already not a brill traveller it could feel very claustrophobic. Our 16.1hh mare looked very big in ours.

mon

Visit site
my 16.2 fits in 506 lovely but touched the roof of 505, love ifors but havng said that not had any others but also have IW farm trailers for cattle/sheep and a lttle 6ft gp trailer for quad bales etc

AandK

Visit site
i bought a Bateson Ascot earlier this year, it's a lovely trailer! i posted a similar thread when i was looking and Bateson came out on top, you should be able to get a nice 2nd hand one for £3K. :)

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Will definitely consider the Bateson - they were on my 'possibly' list. I need to go and have a look at one as I've not seen one in the flesh. Is the Ascot the best one to consider?

palomino_pony

Visit site
I used to have a 505 ifor then I had my new horse who is 16.3hh and she was wedged! way to short and low for her. She fits perfectly in the 510. I looked at the new ifors but was put off that they are mostly plastic. Our older 510 seems much tougher (esp as it is kept on a farm too - lol)

belle31

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Will definitely consider the Bateson - they were on my 'possibly' list. I need to go and have a look at one as I've not seen one in the flesh. Is the Ascot the best one to consider?

The ascot is the biggest one they do, it is a great trailer mine is 10 year old and looks new, it gives my two a lovely smooth ride as it has a good suspension. Ive always found Ifor's to be heavy and rattle a lot whilst travelling. Definatley look at Bateson they are great.

Angelbones

Visit site
I've had a 505 - my 16hh head high boy travelled well in it but when I swapped to a new 511 I really noticed the extra space around him, and all of mine from the 13.2 upwards all travel and load well in it, and it tows well (Discovery). I also have a Fautras treble trailer with barn doors, again a lovely trailer and horses love it. If I were you I wouldn't consider a 505 - just too small really. Re front ramps - I like them to unload on the right hand side as out hunting we often just don't have any verge at all to unload onto on the left, although there is always backing them out I suppose - but this isn't a 'skill' I like them to learn really as can cause issues when loading alone, but in the Fautras they travel herringbone and turn to come out the back doors. I think that in most new trailers you can specify which side you want the ramp - and could possibly hunt around to get the spec you want second hand.