Which Wormer?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Been debating going the test route, but haven't been able to split up the horses long enough to get a sample (working on how to manage that going forwards), and have friend's horse coming to stay so need to worm. Cant get a clear answer on whether visiting horse has been wormed at all this year (there's issues, so will assume not). Aiming to go back to testing after September.

Anyhoo, what wormers are people using? Any resistance to anything?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We worm in November each year, normally around 5th (remember, remember the 5th of November?) & use 'Pramox', we use worm counts the rest of the year & so only administer other wormers if we get a high count on any on the yard. We don't like banging a wormer down a horse if he doesn't need it. It's worked for our yard for years.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I only worm once a year in February to incorporate the usual suspects and encysted redworm. Field is poo picked religiously but next month they will be worm counted just to make sure they are clear. In your position I would use a 5 day Panacur for them, if new horse does have a worm burden the Panacur can be kinder on the stomach than some of the others. It does virtually every worm and larvae known to man so might be a good choice as you don’t know it’s history.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Please don't use Equest Pramox, I used it many times without problem but last Autumn I lost a horse to colic 48 hours after using it (horse didn't have a worm burden) and since have heard of too many similar stories.

So sorry for your loss.
It's the only wormer I never use. I had two horses colic after using EP. Neither horse has ever had an issue with any other wormer and neither have ever had colic apart from after using that particular one.

Lois Lame

Visit site
Does (or did) Equest Pramox come in a skinny syringe? I lost a pony to colic once, and I had wormed him not long before, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember what I used to worm him. It was a wormer I'd won as a lucky door prize when attending a seminar.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Panacur can be kinder on the stomach than some of the others. It does virtually every worm and larvae known to man so might be a good choice as you don’t know it’s history.

Panacur doesn't do tapeworm. I agree it's a good choice for this horse and echo the others, never mix moxidectin with anything else, it's too strong.

I would worm the new horse with moxidectin alone and then follow on a week or two with ivermectin and praziquantel. I'd prefer not to have the ivermectin in the second dose but you can no longer buy praziquantel alone.

Laurac13

Visit site
I thought panacur treated one type of tapeworm but not the other (I think there’s 2 types of tapeworm) yes it’s such a shame Equitape no longer exists it was my go to for tapeworm treatment I don’t like equest pramox I think it’s too strong and I certainly would never use it for my elderly mini shettie Too risky ☹️

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I thought panacur treated one type of tapeworm but not the other (I think there’s 2 types of tapeworm) yes it’s such a shame Equitape no longer exists it was my go to for tapeworm treatment I don’t like equest pramox I think it’s too strong and I certainly would never use it for my elderly mini shettie Too risky ☹️
I always used it, including on elderly horses with no problem until a few years ago when two colicked after. Only mildly, didn’t even need a vet but it really made me think and I’d not risk it again.