which would you use???

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Hiya,

We have had great difficulty sopping my girlie's saddle from moving forward but before anybody pounces the saddle that she has had for the last year (roughly) was found at the end of a 2year search and was agreed by two saddle fitters and my instructor to be the best fit (aside from getting one made to measure, which we simply can,t afford). The saddles tend to move because she has your typical pony very well sprung ribs but practically no wither.

For the last 6 months I have been using the most basic acavallo gel pad, which has been working (ie the saddle stays in place) but I've noticed that when she sits up she tends to chuck her head and the physio reckons this is a result of the pad being too thin and perhaps we need something a bit thicker.

so which do you think would be worth buying?

http://www.horsehealth.co.uk/acaval...ed-pads/acavallo-twin-side-gel-half-pad-white

or

http://www.horsehealth.co.uk/acaval...l/acavallo-just-gel-lambskin-half-pad-natural

or any other suggestions?

thanks in advance:)

ballyduff

Visit site
I have that exact same lambskin half pad and it's gorgeous, sorry can't comment on it stopping the saddle moving as I use mine on top of a numnah and for horses comfort! Have you thought about using a crupper?

Wheels

Visit site
Your saddle fits? Yet it is causing head chucking? So if it does fit, maybe she just doesn't find it comfortable

Is the head chucking a new thing? Maybe it needs re flocking but putting a thicker pad might mean it no longer fits

Wheels

Visit site
Maybe try a different girthing arrangement, something with a wide middle section or ergonomic type that's more forward cut

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Your saddle fits? Yet it is causing head chucking? So if it does fit, maybe she just doesn't find it comfortable

Is the head chucking a new thing? Maybe it needs re flocking but putting a thicker pad might mean it no longer fits

sorry I just realized I didn't put that this only happens when she is in season so I thought about having one of the two thicker pads to use when she is in season would make her more comfortable when she is feeling sore.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
if her saddle fits then putting a thicker pad under it would make it too tight! if you get a ticker pad you will need to have the saddle adjusted otherwise you may cause further issues!

if she is already funny, I would get a 2nd opinion on the fit of the saddle!

Wheels

Visit site
sorry I just realized I didn't put that this only happens when she is in season so I thought about having one of the two thicker pads to use when she is in season would make her more comfortable when she is feeling sore.

A thicker pad won't make her more comfortable if it makes the saddle too tight, it will be more uncomfortable