Which Yard?

Puzzles

Visit site

i have a choice of three: here are their good/bad points.
confused.gif

i cannot choose which would be best - one is best for me but not my horse, and another better for my horse but not me :eek: (i think...)
please help! any opinions are appreciated.
smile.gif

i know it deoends on what i'm looking for, but i hope to still keep the horse out 24/7 all year round (an emergancy stable would be a bonus), doing SJ, XC, DR, hacking, eriding club, affiliating at low levels, some eventing/competitions, NH groundwork and lunging...some odd pleasure rides/le trec/polocrosse... and please bear in mind i am not financially fortunate! so preferably DIY (i love doing it myself and can't afford anything more anyway)

<u>Yard One - rented</u>
1) a minutes cycle/run from my home
2) there are two small wooden stables
3) it is cheap
4) there would be one or two max. other horses
5) there are some rabbit holes in the padock
6) the paddock is quiote small and sloping
7) no menage
8) fabulous hacking - perhaps the best
9) it isn't as safe; the fencing could do with some work as could the paddock and yard, but i should be able to remedy this (whether it's the owner's responsibility or mine)
10) i would be able to use the place more or less as my own (with consideration to the other renter/s)
11) there is a store room, known to contain some rats THOUGH ALL - io think - THESE ISSUES CAN BE REMEDIED! (best ways?)
12) great atmosphere - if a tad quiet, but i'm not complaining!
13) freedom, can turn up whenever - my own key!

(ps - i will probably not choose this place but want to know what you think)

<u>Yard Two - livery/riding school</u>
1) about 5 mins cycle/drive from home
2) pretty good grazing space
3) not poo-picked very often
4) very expensive
5) does offer 24/7 grazing, but companionship varies
6) large menage, can get waterlogged
7) offers same hacking as 1st yard option
8) on-site help
9) friendly
10) yard only opens at 7.30 am (i'd want/need to be there by about 6.30!)
11) does lessons
12) does lessons too, though expensive

(this is the one that's one of the best for me but not my horse)

<u>Yard Two - livery/riding school</u>
1) about 8 mins drive from home
2) on way to/from school so can drop in/out at those times more easily
3) offers very good hacking
4) jumping paddock
5) on-site advice
6) offers DIY livery, great freedom to own routine/s etc, and help for no extra charge such as feeding, etc
7) probably the best atmosphere
8) hmm...guilty! i learnt to ride there for most of my riding life, and worked there for 3 years so i know the ways (more or less) and the owner, but was asked to leave though due to a misunderstanding;the people who may have caused this have left, now we get on pretty well - could this be a problem?
9) fairly small but otherwise good menage
10) fab grazing
11) stable probably free if &amp; when i need it
12) horse will always have company
13) expensive
14) also does lessons
please think about this in my feet!

are there any points i may have missed/i need to consider, though i have been giving this a lot of thought.

thanks very much!

moocow

Visit site
if it was me, I would take option 1 and sort out the problems with it. Sort out fencing, rabbit holes etc. and I would see if yard two hires it menage in off peak periods and hack on the good hacking to the menage, school and hack home!

thats just cos I am a poorly student but I don't know what the state of the paddock is - I would imagine you will need more than one paddock though, it will need a rest.

good luck

Puzzles

Visit site
thee are two paddocks - but one is lovely for schooling (i would prefer the turnout paddock to remain one, as i'd hate to be schooled in my own bedroom).

i will be a poor student too, paying for it all myself so i would do yard jobs in order to receive a slightly smaller livery fee, which i'm happy to do (though it is possible that yard 2 may take a tad advantage of this).

is it my obligation to fix yard 1 (if indeed i took it up), or the owner's as fencing 1 acre or so could cvost around £1000: non-existant money, as otherwise i wouldn't mind at all.

i would like to pay for the menage of yard 3 for an hour or so and it's a very good idea.
at least i know at yard 3 (god, all these numbers!) my horse will be safe as i thotoughly trust the owner and would not feel taken advantage of.
should i be concerned about anything about any of the yards?
aaagrh, this is so hard!

ThomasTank

Visit site
I would take yard 1 depending on acarage (sp) ( i do this with children and 10 miles away, me and 2 others muck in together) or yard 3 as its better the devil you know. Dont like the sound of yard 2

lucy5

Visit site
hmmm between 1 and 3
yard two doesnt sound too brilliant
i had to do this with some yards i was thinking of going too i made the wrong decision so moving again soon! xx