While watching Hickstead

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Was watching the speed derby at hickstead today and with some of the competitors the next rider would come in almost as soon as the one whos turn it was had started and start trotting round and looking at jumps and then move out of the way as the person who's round it was was coming towards the jumps. This happened with about 2 of them the rest the next rider waited outside until they had completed the previous round.

Any ideas why they would be doing this it seemed to mostly the Irish riders who were dressed in their army uniform?

Just never seen it before and seems a bit odd they had an extra chance to look round the jumps while everyone else was counted down?

Never post in here as just a happy hacker but thought you'd all be more likely to know the answer!

LeannePip

Visit site
I went yesterday and watched the derby trial and the one i cant remember the name of with the four gates and nearly every horse came in as the one before was starting, i think its fairly normal at this level to keep things running smoothly

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
It just seemed strange they were only doing it during 1 or 2 rounds rather than every single one- was thinking that may be why to get through them and keep it flowing especially places with large entries.
Can't believe people went in flip flops and sandals the mud round the trade stands and grandstand could rival glastonbury!