Whilst horse women aren't known for tidy.. how you remove hair?!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
(I apologise to any of those that may be the exception. But I have yet to see an immaculate horse owners car! :D)

Appealing to the matchy matchy queens here.. I have a couple of saddle cloths that really need a wash but Jake's moulting hair is scuppering my washing-machine ideas, I have just bought a new one and don't want to ruin it!

I have tried to curry comb out the hair but it's just pulling off the sheepskin...

How do you remove hair/get yours clean?

turnbuckle

Visit site
Packing tape or sellotape.

Not that I bother.

Or am a girl :)

Although perhaps not on sheepskin. Beyond the limits of my domesticity.

scrat

Visit site
Try wearing rubber gloves and rubbing the hair off. Those wire slicker brushes used on dogs or hairy cats are good at removing hair and fluffing up the sheepswool. If it is still quite hairy put it in an old pillowcase or single duvet cover to wash so any hair stays inside.Tie the opening up in a knot or with string so nothing escapes during washing. Only wash one at a time so it leaves room to move around.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I sometimes use a cat slicker brush to remove the worst, but mostly i just throw them in and hope i dont make the machine blow up! haha :D

Im awful though and throw all sorts in the washer that i probably shouldnt! although some things do go in a pillow case if theres a certain person hovering nearby.

A slicker brush also does a grand job of getting his sheepskin half pad back to the normal fluffiness after washing xD

LibbyL

Visit site
Those grooming blocks are an absolute godsend for getting hair off! Got every scrap of all of mine, best £3 I have ever spent!

Greylegs

Visit site
Wash as normal, but then clean your machine's filter to remove hair build up. I did mine recently (after about a year of horse and domestic use) and was shocked at the amount of gunge it had accumulated.

Micropony

Visit site
I have an Amaze Brush, which I bought at Olympia. Actually I have many such thingies, as I have been on something of a quest for some time now. However the Amaze brush is my weapon of choice against horse and cat hair.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Wash as normal, but then clean your machine's filter to remove hair build up. I did mine recently (after about a year of horse and domestic use) and was shocked at the amount of gunge it had accumulated.

I didn't know washing machines had a filter.... should probably work out how to find mine soon as its over a year old and I'm always washing horse/dog stuff.... even my clothes are covered in animal hair lol!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I didn't know washing machines had a filter.... should probably work out how to find mine soon as its over a year old and I'm always washing horse/dog stuff.... even my clothes are covered in animal hair lol!

I am very familiar with my washing machine filter as I wash horsey items far too often in my machine. If I don't clear it regularly an error comes up. It's not just hair in it, looks like mud too. Must be the various boots that go in.

Knockadoon

Visit site
I got a magic sponge thing that's like a rubber block thing. Got it at the pet shop. Godsend as I have grey woolly pony and a white indoor cat. I'm thinking of shaving the cat.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Wet rubber gloves with textures fingers (omg, sounds very strange). Marigolds are perfect. I have a wash bag for dog/horse stuff. No hair goes in the machine.

Mike007

Visit site
Read the title and thought it was a post about .......Hair. Armpits and..... stuff! The "whilst horsewomen arnt known for tidy" also lead me astray. Please dont confuse me further!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thanks for our answers ladies! (and men of course) I think hoover has to be worth a try, if not then I will give the wire comb a try as they're the two things closest to me haha!

Read the title and thought it was a post about .......Hair. Armpits and..... stuff! The "whilst horsewomen arnt known for tidy" also lead me astray. Please dont confuse me further!

Oh gosh Mike007, I am so sorry to disappoint :D

Mike007

Visit site
Oh gosh Mike007, I am so sorry to disappoint :D
Disapointed ,indeed I am .I was expecting to see the lady liveries on our yard spruce themselves up a bit !Of course it is just possible that my usual atire of wellies and tracksuit bottoms with holes burnt in them from welding ,is not entirely elegant too.Nevertheless I must be doing somthing right ,because since I have been harrowing ,rolling and fertilizing our fields (as a livery!) I have had a succession of young ladies bringing tea and cake to my tractor.

Coblover63

Visit site
Hoover, grooming stone and one of those orange washing bags that zips closed. Easier to turn it inside out and give it a shake outdoors than the faff of getting all the hair out of your washing machine.

Whoopit

Visit site
Vacuum cleaner but we have an immense Kaarcher one that get rid of pretty much all of it then I get the super-sucker Vax Animal on it before a thing goes near the washer.

Other half would kill me if he knew horse stuff went in washer!!! Used to have an old one for horse gear but left it when I left my yard 😔

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
(I apologise to any of those that may be the exception. But I have yet to see an immaculate horse owners car! :D)

Appealing to the matchy matchy queens here.. I have a couple of saddle cloths that really need a wash but Jake's moulting hair is scuppering my washing-machine ideas, I have just bought a new one and don't want to ruin it!

I have tried to curry comb out the hair but it's just pulling off the sheepskin...

How do you remove hair/get yours clean?
I use a dog brush to remove my horses hair from saddle pads prior to machine, or if really bad they go in a pillow case first

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Washing machine will be under guarantee, check it out and make sure you get everything washed before 28days as I think you get extra protection.
Find out if there is a filter, these things are just put there to clog up the whole machine!