Whip alternative

Olliepoppy

Visit site
My 6 year old cob HATES the whip when being ridden. The tiniest touch makes him buck. I ride him through it but I'd like to know if there is an alternative method of getting him going a bit when he's feeling a bit ploddy. We use the lightest touch method i.e gentle leg, more forceful leg then whip tickle if he isn't listening. I have recently found out that in his previous life he did the same but then got whipped more for bucking so it went whip/buck/whip/buck/whip/buck until he stopped! This is not the method I want to use and would rather abandon the whip altogether if he hates it that much.

I can use a lunging whip around him no problem and a schooling whip on the ground if needed with no reaction, it's just when he is ridden. Any ideas on alternative 'listen up' methods?

dianchi

Visit site
Have you tried carrying a short whip but with the end taped with white electrical tape- sounds slightly odd i know, but seeing it out the corner of their eye is normally enough of a forward suggestion :)

mrsh2010

Visit site
I used to ride two horses with whip issues. One was scared of them being carried or held near him, so I carried a short one in my boot, just incase I needed it - he could nap badly.

The second didn't like it touching her, so I was advised to tap my boot with the whip, the noise was enough to move her forwards when required.

SuperH

Visit site
I carry a schooling whip with a bit of bright ribbon tied on the end. Primarily I use it as a traffic poking stick to stop people squeezing past but it is also handy for encouragement as they can see the ribbon moving about without having to touch them with it. Also comes in handy for wafting at horse flies.

mandwhy

Visit site
I have a neckrope that I use as a sort of lasso to make a whirly whooshing noise, it works really well when lunging as creates a good drive in the corner of their eye, you might have to use a shorter one for riding!

wench

Visit site
Have you ever seen a jockey using a whip... they bring it forwards first so the horse can see it... might be worth doing similar with yours?

JillA

Visit site
Not sure why you don't just stop carrying a whip.

I had a nappy mare who I forgot to carry my whip on once or twice, so I had nothing to enforce what I was asking of her. That was the beginning of serious napping - now I always carry a whip, or something to back up my leg. TBH a nudge with the lower legs doesn't mean anything to a lot of horses unless it is enforced a few times. Good suggestions above.

PorkChop

Visit site
I use a soft bit of rope, halved and a knot put in for a handle, so you have a loop and two ends - you can wiggle it or use it in a side to side motion - usually use it on the baby horses if I need to make them go forward :)

Olliepoppy

Visit site
I use a soft bit of rope, halved and a knot put in for a handle, so you have a loop and two ends - you can wiggle it or use it in a side to side motion - usually use it on the baby horses if I need to make them go forward :)

Ljr are you using it against the horse or just waving it so then can see it?

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Just wondering, do you use any vocalisations as encouragement? If my mare backs off she responds well to being growled at, or even just being told to get on, one of our old horses would respond well to silly noises so you'd end up blowing raspberry type noises at her, even just old fashioned clicking could help as alternative to a smack if you're not experienced enough to wear spurs.

ihatework

Visit site
When you feel like you need to use the whip, what is it the horse is doing?

If the horse is just being generally idle / ignoring your leg aid then try 'scarey legs'

Ask once with your leg aid. No response?
Scarey legs - lift your entire length of leg away from the saddle (including your thigh) and give the biggest pony club kick you can! What you are looking for is a proper reaction from the horse, ideally it to peg it up the school! Be ready for that so you don't loose your balance (neck strap) and let them go forwards, don't hang onto mouth.

Repeat this religiously each time a forwards leg aid is ignored.

Eventually they should go forwards as soon as they feel your legs lighten!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I suggest you find a BHSII, an instructor with considerable experience, and take a lesson, it seems too obvious, but I rode for twenty years without a whip except a hunting crop when appropriate, or if I was hacking [for safety], I only ever had one who needed a schooling whip every time I rode. None of my horses were scared of the whip. I am a bit soft, but then I prefer a forward going horse to a ploddy cobby ;), when riding racehorses, only the jockeys are allowed to carry a whip, the others have to use their own leg aids etc.
Most of the time I just tapped my boot to tell naughty pony that I was carrying my schooling whip, they listen to everything, believe me.

Last edited:

Olliepoppy

Visit site
I have lessons with a BHSAI. He came to me hating the whip, he's not scared of it he just reacts to it! I mainly use the whip for schooling as he can be a bit lazy. I haven't tried growling or 'scary legs' but as there are lots of good tips here I'm hoping I will find something to suit that doesn't involve him bucking because he doesn't like it!

ihatework

Visit site
Also worth being very sure why he is bucking.

It could well be that he is an idle so and so that doesn't like being told what to do!

But bear in mind he needs to understand what the aid means and what the response you want is. He might be getting cross because your aids are muddled, he isn't sure what response you want and then gets told off for not doing something he didn't know was being asked.

Another option is that physically it is difficult to do it and so his bucking is trying to tell you that.

Olliepoppy

Visit site
Also worth being very sure why he is bucking.

It could well be that he is an idle so and so that doesn't like being told what to do!

But bear in mind he needs to understand what the aid means and what the response you want is. He might be getting cross because your aids are muddled, he isn't sure what response you want and then gets told off for not doing something he didn't know was being asked.

Another option is that physically it is difficult to do it and so his bucking is trying to tell you that.

He only bucks when he is told what to do or he finds it hard. He's come to me unbalanced and with very little schooling knowledge. We are only working on basic walk/trot/halt transitions using large circles to keep it easy. In the school he can be a bit of a plod and reacts to the whip if you have to use it when you ask him to up the tempo.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I have lessons with a BHSAI. He came to me hating the whip, he's not scared of it he just reacts to it! I mainly use the whip for schooling as he can be a bit lazy. I haven't tried growling or 'scary legs' but as there are lots of good tips here I'm hoping I will find something to suit that doesn't involve him bucking because he doesn't like it!

Ah I see , if you hit him with a whip he bucks, which is something horses do [pesky things] get the instructor to ride him through it.
I know you see it as your lesson, but if the horse is difficult, you need to put someone on top to sort him out, I paid my instructor to ride my boy because he was just so difficult [and I have ridden for many years], at one stage she said she was ready to get off him [she is a bit of a wimp], but really he is not dangerous, just a complete PIA!
It took her three months once a week to get him working nicely, when an AI came to ride him she complained he would not take up contact, well he would when I asked him to behave, [from the ground!!!!!] Horses can be difficult.

Best to go out hacking in company, get him going forward and enjoying his outings. its all about enjoying your horse.

Last edited:

Olliepoppy

Visit site
Best to go out hacking in company, get him going forward and enjoying his outings. its all about enjoying your horse.

Well that's a whole other issue! Before he had his companion I could hack him out alone with just the odd spook but he seemed to really enjoy going out. Since he has got a friend he is like a cat on a hot tin roof either going out with her or going out alone, it's like he's lost all confidence. It's not possible to go out with her hardly at all so it will be just me and him but he is really objecting to going it alone now so yet more challenges await...