Whippets & cats

Beckys

New User
Visit site
Hi we are looking to get a whippet. All the breed info online tells u that they don’t do well with cats.
we have found a breeder and they have 2 cats and have assured us cats and whippets get along fine if puppy is raised with a cat.
A bit unsure what to do. As we have 2 ragdoll cats. They are very friendly and won’t run from a dog, anything goes towards them they don’t move!
We do have a dog already a pug and the cats and dog live fine together.
Just a bit nervous after reading all the negatives about whippets and cats.

{97702}

Visit site
Yep they will get on fine with your cats if you take the time to introduce them properly and train the puppy properly - other people’s cats may be a very different matter ?

It’s the same as my greyhounds living with my two terriers, normally they see all small dogs as moving ‘dog food’ but they know these two are ‘ours’ and don’t bother them at all ?

Annette4

Visit site
Fizz grew up with cats and small mammals and is totally fine in the house, other people's cats outside are a different thing entirely although if they stand up to her like next doors does she has no interest. I wouldn't trust her with one which kept running.

Dobby never lived with cats and I wouldn't trust him for one second.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my old lurcher was bought up with cats on the yard, they were bengals and very dog savvy so stood their ground, my lurcher had a few whacks on the nose from one of them and from then on respected all cats and didnt bother to chase them even when not at the yard. my collie cross didnt mix with cats and as far as she is concerned they are there to chase if i dont tell her no. i think if you bring your new whippet up with your dog savvy cats they should be fine but there are no guarantees if a cat ventures into your garden or if you see one when out for a walk..

SOS

Visit site
On a serious note they can live in harmony but are best to have them around when young. The lurcher above has a strong running instinct and was introduced to the cat as a 2 year old. Faced with a very confident kitten, controlled sessions with a muzzle on at first and lots of fuss for just sitting down and ignoring the running cat, they are pretty harmonious.

That said if he was off the lead and a cat ran past I wouldn’t say he wouldn’t go to run. He’d be called off/back but he would probably attempt to run. But the cat running around the house or under and over him does not bother at all.

Kay Burton

Visit site
As for me, everything is very individual. Depends on the upbringing and temperament of the puppy. At my acquaintances, the beagle was raised by cats, but as he grew up, he constantly barks at them. It doesn't seem to offend, but there is a lot of noise.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We have a husky (and a collie). We were told husky’s and cats don’t mix. We got Luna as a pup, and she has grown up with our cat. The cat rules the house. She is also fine with mums cat who she’s known since a pup. As said above, cats come in the garden that run, she will chase them, and I couldn’t swear she wouldn’t kill them if she caught them. Both our cat and mums ignore her though, although both told her off a lot when she was a pup. We often catch Oz letting her groom him. Bo, the collie on the other hand, often has a scratched nose. He just seems to annoy Oz by looking at him ?

Chiffy

Visit site
I am really surprised you found this info about whippets. We had two cats when we bought our first whippet puppy. It never entered my head they wouldn’t get along. We always had both even when I bred a litter and then we had cats and lurchers, never a problem. I also have a friend who breeds both whippets and Bengal cats. As long as your pup is taught respect straight away, it won’t be a problem.

P3LH

Visit site
Interesting. We looked at whippets and breeders actively discouraged us due to having cats. I dismissed the idea, despite longing for a blue dawn and white. Maybe I will break my self imposed three dog rule now.

wildandwoolly

Visit site
Our whippets grew up with cats and were fine. In my experience, if a puppy moves into a household with a cat in residence then that's fine as the cat will square the puppy up from day one! However, I wouldn't like to introduce a kitten into our household as we have two whippets (who were brought up with cats so would probably be ok) but the Bedlington x Whippet youngster has a very high prey drive and thinks any cats/squirrels/pheasants etc on his land is fair game. It's a pity really as I used to have four cats but haven't had any for a good while now mainly because I can't watch them 24/7 and would feel awful if anything happened. To be fair, the Whippets are pretty cat-like in that they love their cuddles and sitting on your lap!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Our whippets grew up with cats and were fine. In my experience, if a puppy moves into a household with a cat in residence then that's fine as the cat will square the puppy up from day one! However, I wouldn't like to introduce a kitten into our household as we have two whippets (who were brought up with cats so would probably be ok) but the Bedlington x Whippet youngster has a very high prey drive and thinks any cats/squirrels/pheasants etc on his land is fair game. It's a pity really as I used to have four cats but haven't had any for a good while now mainly because I can't watch them 24/7 and would feel awful if anything happened. To be fair, the Whippets are pretty cat-like in that they love their cuddles and sitting on your lap!

That’s exactly how we feel with our husky. She’s known Oz since she was a pup, and also mums cat. Both cats have stood their ground to her, but when we lose Oz (he’s an old man now), we wouldn’t bring another cat into our house.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Depends on the dog, have had two ex racer greyhounds. First was terrified of the cat and never chased. Eventually you'd have them sharing a sofa but respecting each others space. Outside cats - fair game.

Current, lived with said greyhound savvy cat who was ancient at this point. Had several well earned claw filled slaps around the face and eventually learned to leave her alone. But literally any other cat would not last 5 minutes ? she does however live with a jack x chi. Who hides when she gets pissed with him and chases him off

Esmae

Visit site
Ours have been absolutely fine with our cats. In fact our cat adores the dogs. It's all about sensible introductions. Our whippets also get on with our chickens. The chickens mug the whippets for treats!!

Nelli

New User
Visit site
Hi,
on the whippets-&-cats post, We would like to get a whippet. We live in Birmingham (West Midlands, UK). Does anybody know a breeder who has cats? or cat friendly whippets in the UK?
thank you,

Nelli

New User
Visit site
I am really surprised you found this info about whippets. We had two cats when we bought our first whippet puppy. It never entered my head they wouldn’t get along. We always had both even when I bred a litter and then we had cats and lurchers, never a problem. I also have a friend who breeds both whippets and Bengal cats. As long as your pup is taught respect straight away, it won’t be a problem.
Hi, we would like to get a whippet, but also have 2 cats. You mentioned you know a breeder who breeds both whippets and cats. Can you please give me their contact. many thanks, Nelli

fankino04

Visit site
I was told the same about malamutes and cats but all 3 of ours were fine, the first one we got as a pup after the cats so she grew up with them the others were adults and were fine too. I'd say if the breeder has cats so can assess pup first and then the cats are already in situ when you bring pup home it should be ok.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Yes Nelli, Google Selinko Whippets. Oh I have remembered
selinko-whippets.co.uk
just had to check their site, beautiful whippets, luckily all the puppies are reserved , they are not that far from me and i would love a whippet but think i have my hands full with 2 young terriers and an old collie cross. nice to window shop though...

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
Have always kept whippets with cats. They are fine with the household cats who they know to be part of the family.

Unknown cats who trespass into the back garden are a whole different ball game however.

SOS

Visit site
I know this thread got revived recently... we added to our collection so now have a lurcher, whippet and ragdoll.... as you can see from the photos they love each other so much and are best friends. They sleep together most evenings and greet each other with kisses. They play but have never been allowed to chase too much... tbh it’s normally the cat chasing the dog to play!

OP I hope you went ahead and it’s lovely!

D5D63861-3B14-4B95-AD6C-FB4AB7EAB227.jpeg
472F7D53-0268-4A41-A113-0C5A29869BE6.jpeg
8F4C2ED1-E45E-45EB-A758-8F04151181E0.jpeg