Whips good or bad

Tnavas

Visit site
'Sadly' because it is pure fear that makes them 'respect' the whip - the fear of pain. I don't feel the need to hit a horse as much as I wouldn't hit my dogs with a stick. Now I shall get a cup of tea, sit back and wait for all the posts justifying using a whip, on a horse.

So how would you deal with a horse that says can't, shan't or won't do as it's asked?

Mine have never received more than a short sharp tap, are certainly not scared of me or the whip. Have great manners and can be moved over and around with a quiet command.

Elvis

Visit site
I pretty much always ride with a whip- better to have one and not use it, than need one but not have it.
I ride a lot of RS horses and because by nature they are a bit steadier, I think it's much fairer to lightly tap them on the bum than to constantly kick and squeeze them in the sides. A whip can also be very helpful for lateral work.
The man who is schooling Elvis ready for sale gave him a tap on the bum coming into a big xc fence, it helped to get his attention, get the pace he needed, and the right stride. Without the tap I can imagine it could have been a bit of a sticky fence.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I couldn't even tell you the last time I rode with a whip. I've rode without one for so long that it actually feels weird for me to hold one.

I think if a whip is used correctly to back up aids then I don't see a problem. With any piece of equipment, in the right hands it serves a purpose but in gone wrong hands . . .

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
A whip is great to carry with baler twine attached for fly swirling - but not many horses would be laid back enough to cope with it !

shy27july12018_zps6ae1c3ed.jpg

Illusion100

Visit site
In the wrong hands, same as everything else, not good.

I always ride with a whip and use it when necessary with the force required. If it comes down to a dangerous situation such as a napping horses rearing and reversing towards barbed wire/big ditch/spinning on roads or trying to kick someone etc, I'd rather the horse was moved forward with a respect for a slapped bum than the alternative of a potential injury to me and it.

However whips should never be used in frustration or anger and their use should be carefully measured to achieve a specific response.

Every horse I work with is taught not to fear the whip but respect it. Imo, all horses should stand relaxed while a whip is rubbed over every inch of them, including the head and only respond to the whip when given specific taught instructions with it i.e backing up/moving shoulders/hindquarters etc.
This is worked on from the ground initially then under saddle.

I do not like to see horses that respond negatively to a whip, as in when they see it they become nervous/anxious and I really feel quite upset for those horses. Whips should never be used to force a horse unless in a dangerous situation.

xTrooperx

Visit site
I personal don't use them & grateful my ponies don't need them, but I would use one if I needed ie naught/schooling or in field with horses barging as with most things use it really when needed not use one because you can.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I carry a schooling whip mostly to give cars a better sense of distance and to open gates (the rubbery handle is great for this). I will tap my boot or use it with a light touch if mare is being lazy - she needs no more than a gentle tap. It's also helpful for leading the big, clumsy youngster - held horizontally out in front, it gives him a much better visual aid for personal space.

However I really don't like seeing the whip abuse which goes on in a lot of competition!

Spencer93

Visit site
I always ride with a whip out of habit and for those little moments when you need a bit more attention. Certainty better to give a light tickle with a whip than to constantly boot the horse in the ribs.
My lazy cob always responds to just the noise of the whip so if shes being really lazy I will wack myself on the leg with it. Perks her up but does give me bruises all down my thighs on a really lazy day. Stupidly I never thought of hitting my boot instead :/

Clare85

Visit site
I'd sooner give a horse a tap with the whip than constantly nag it with my leg. I have never beaten a horse with a whip or anything else and wouldn't condone it. I accept that people abuse whips and they can be damaging in the wrong hands, but that's true of anything. It doesn't mean that if used correctly they aren't beneficial.

Last edited:

happyclappy

Visit site
I sometimes carry one when riding a lazy cob, but rarely use it, not even light taps. i would never use it hard or as a punishment. just showing seems to be effective.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I'm going to buck the trend on both sides - I don't routinely carry a whip as at regional and national level dressage you can't so rather than let horse drop behind my leg then I never use one - the only time the whip comes out is to encourage the hind legs quicker in the piaffe but that's very late on in their training - so the majority of my horses have never seen a whip other than on the lunge - where I feel a whip is necessary as a safety device.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I was not allowed to carry a whip when I worked with racehorses so I got out of the habit, but I have to admit my last boy needed one, a schooling whip proved the best. Just an aid, my instructor told me I rode a bit long and he was not feeling the aids, the saddle was a bit small for me, and he was pretty sharp out hacking sometimes, so it was safety first [for me]
Also flicking off horse flies.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Wildly varying thoughts and methods. All horses are different of course and riders have differing perceptions of why a whip is or isn't carried.

What would those of you who do not/will not carry a whip have done in this situation.

Young mare, sensible but greenish. Hacking through the village this morning a steady stream of cars are coming towards me. The lane is too narrow for the cars behind us to pass so they are staying behind me.

The houses on my left have loose dogs in the gardens. The dogs are barking and crashing against the fencing along with jumping up onto a bank which is eye level for the mare. The next property has a lawn mower going. The mare tenses slightly, she is being ridden into a contact as I never amble on a long rein whilst hacking. I ask for shoulder fore before I reach the dogs but feeling more resistance coming I use shoulder in. My outside leg is in deep conversation with her shoulder and my outside hand has a schooling whip which is doing nothing.

The mare then lost her confidence and tried to swing right handed into the oncoming traffic. I quickly used the whip behind my leg and took more bend to block the right shoulder. The whip was key in preventing the horse getting into the path of oncoming traffic.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I don't carry a whip however I mainly ride western so I do have either 8ft or 10ft split reins and in AAs situation mentioned above I would have done exactly the same as you AA but using a rein instead of a whip.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Wildly varying thoughts and methods. All horses are different of course and riders have differing perceptions of why a whip is or isn't carried.

What would those of you who do not/will not carry a whip have done in this situation.

Young mare, sensible but greenish. Hacking through the village this morning a steady stream of cars are coming towards me. The lane is too narrow for the cars behind us to pass so they are staying behind me.

The houses on my left have loose dogs in the gardens. The dogs are barking and crashing against the fencing along with jumping up onto a bank which is eye level for the mare. The next property has a lawn mower going. The mare tenses slightly, she is being ridden into a contact as I never amble on a long rein whilst hacking. I ask for shoulder fore before I reach the dogs but feeling more resistance coming I use shoulder in. My outside leg is in deep conversation with her shoulder and my outside hand has a schooling whip which is doing nothing.

The mare then lost her confidence and tried to swing right handed into the oncoming traffic. I quickly used the whip behind my leg and took more bend to block the right shoulder. The whip was key in preventing the horse getting into the path of oncoming traffic.

id have asked forward with leg aid (i wear spurs as stndard ) and i'd use them as you used a whip...

JustMeThen

Visit site
Well no doubt this will bring the "it's cruel to use a whip" brigade out but there's lot of ways that a rider can abuse a horse and using a whip correctly to back up a leg aid is not one of them. Over fed, over rugged, ridden in poorly fitting tack, poor shoeing resulting in collapsed heels etc, youngsters "brought on" by inexperienced well meaning people which result in horses with behavioural problems or no understanding of basic aids etc. etc These seem like cruelty to me but a tap behind the leg to ask a horse to be in front of the leg, move laterally etc seems a lot better than kicking the hell out of it and deadening them to the leg.

This, definitely. It's all about which horse you're on too. My mare isn't fussed at all by a flick with the whip but there are some I'd never carry one on because they hate it.

oldie48

Visit site
Yes. We don't seem to have any replies yet from the whips and spurs are cruel brigade, it would be good if perhaps they'd begun to have second thoughts and begun to realise they have a proper place in horsemanship. I hacked out with a lovely woman this morning on her youngish horse. She doesn't carry a whip or wear spurs and i lost count of the number of times her horse whipped round or backed up when asked to go past something it didn't like. (seemed to dislike quite a lot too) I was very happy to give her a lead but couldn't help thinking the horse was in charge, I've no idea how she manages when she's out on her own.
id have asked forward with leg aid (i wear spurs as stndard ) and i'd use them as you used a whip...

PolarSkye

Visit site
Well, I'll chuck the cat among the pigeons and say that I have found that having a short stick (aka whip/crop) in my hand when Kali is being a proper idiot by the lorry (barging, kicking out, rearing, generally being a danger to himself and those around him) works a treat. Only have to tap him with it on the chest, mind, but it does bring him back down to earth when his excitement/general twitishness gets the better of him and he forgets his manners.

No, I don't beat him. No, he isn't whip shy. But, yes, I would much rather give him a short, sharp shock to break the adrenaline cycle and remind him that barging into humans is unacceptable than have him be a danger to himself and others.

He isn't a knob all the time . . . most of the time he's beautifully behaved and very respectful . . . but when he first started going out, and since he's been hunting this winter, he forgets himself and gets so wound up that he is uncontrollable. I can guarantee that in a month or so, he'll be back to his mannerly self.

Fire away.

P

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
i always carry one to back up the leg aids....eg. hacking i'd rather give them a smack than end up reversing into the lorry/ditvh/inevitable idiots on the road.

Ceriann

Visit site
I carry one to school - my mare uses the min amount of energy and a tap to support the leg aid helps. It's better than continuously booting. She isn't remotely scared of it and I've never used it to punish or to give an aid on its own. I don't carry it to hack as she's far more forward out and about.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well, I'll chuck the cat among the pigeons and say that I have found that having a short stick (aka whip/crop) in my hand when Kali is being a proper idiot by the lorry (barging, kicking out, rearing, generally being a danger to himself and those around him) works a treat. Only have to tap him with it on the chest, mind, but it does bring him back down to earth when his excitement/general twitishness gets the better of him and he forgets his manners.

No, I don't beat him. No, he isn't whip shy. But, yes, I would much rather give him a short, sharp shock to break the adrenaline cycle and remind him that barging into humans is unacceptable than have him be a danger to himself and others.

He isn't a knob all the time . . . most of the time he's beautifully behaved and very respectful . . . but when he first started going out, and since he's been hunting this winter, he forgets himself and gets so wound up that he is uncontrollable. I can guarantee that in a month or so, he'll be back to his mannerly self.

Fire away.

P

TBH I do the same .
If one of the horses is being silly to handle or won't stand I just pick up a dressage whip I don't have to use it 99.9 % of the time ,if I do a tap is all it takes .