Whips horse

Newtothegeegees

Visit site
Been looking at adverts for horses and came across this..

“Currently used as a whips horse and does the job well and also goes in the field and has been hunted by a lady rider.”

What’s a whips horse??

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It is a horse who is ridden by a hunt employee. The whip will generally have to be able to run, jump, do gates, leave the field, stand still etc etc. I would expect a whip's horse to be independent and not need a lead over a fence.

Also goes in the field would mean that the horse can also be ridden by members of the paying public where the horse will be used to being jostled.

Hunted by a lady rider tends to suggest that the horse is not too strong, although this is really outdated as I know some lady riders who are as strong as any other rider! It also does not say that the horse is not strong, and they would therefore only have to prove that the horse is indeed hunted by a female (or these days simply someone who identifies as female!) to have complied with accuracy of the advert.

The advert says the horse does the job of whip's horse well, but does not comment on how good, or not, the horse is in the field. I know some horses who 'go in the field' where I would not enjoy taking them personally! A bit like a horse who 'hacks out' does not necessarily say that the horse is good in traffic.

Newtothegeegees

Visit site
Thank you that’s good to know and interesting. I didn’t appreciate how common hunting is with horses. Id love to do that one day but realistically I don’t think I ever would.

It’s proving quite a challenge to really read into these adverts.So many of them seem to be the perfect horse for me but then when I contact the owner the truth tends to come out more.

Trouper

Visit site
It's a minefield! Have you got a knowledgeable friend who can interpret advertisements for you and go with you to possible viewings? Alternatively, there is a wealth of experience on here and folk often run adverts on possible horses past the eagle eyes of members on here for an initial point of view. Gook Luck.

Newtothegeegees

Visit site
I do have a few friends with horses but I wouldn’t say they was in the know. Eek I need to think about that. I def think running the adverts past you guys is a great shout!
Here’s one for you..

The advert initially read like this:
“She is 100% in all ways, working well on the flat and learning her lateral movements. She hacks alone or in company and is good to shoe, box, clip, catch etc.
She has a lovely nature, loves to be fussed and will live in or out.
She is a very genuine mare and will make someone very happy!”

When I enquired the reply was...

“xxx is pretty forward going and light to your aids. I'm not sure that she would be a good first horse? I can send you some vidoes and see what you think”

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
There are threads on HHO about questions to ask when buying a horse, also some about deciphering the ‘hidden meaning’ behind commonly used advertising phrases. They would be a good place to start. Use the search near the top of the page.
Do you have an instructor who would define as far as is possible the sort of horse that would suit you now?
Good luck

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I do have a few friends with horses but I wouldn’t say they was in the know. Eek I need to think about that. I def think running the adverts past you guys is a great shout!
Here’s one for you..

“She is 100% in all ways, working well on the flat and learning her lateral movements. She hacks alone or in company and is good to shoe, box, clip, catch etc.

“xxx is pretty forward going and light to your aids. I'm not sure that she would be a good first horse? I can send you some vidoes and see what you think”

This one sounds like a lovely, well trained horse with an honest advertiser. Many horses who have been professionally trained get a bit anxious if a less experienced rider loses their balance, or does not realise when the horse is a little fresh, or the tack does not quite fit.

Theocat

Visit site
I do have a few friends with horses but I wouldn’t say they was in the know. Eek I need to think about that.

The single most important thing you can do right now is to ask your instructor to a) keep an ear out for you, b) look at adverts (especially as there's a chance they will know local horses), and c) come with you to viewings and ride the horse before you do. You should pay them for this (or at least offer to) - it would be a false economy not to, and you MUST take a knowledgeable friend. An instructor is better than a friend because they're be more objective. A friend might egg you on to buy the wrong horse.

If you don't currently have an instructor, find one and start having lessons. You absolutely need someone objective, who understands your capabilities and ambitions, to help you decide if any horse you look at is suitable.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
The single most important thing you can do right now is to ask your instructor to a) keep an ear out for you, b) look at adverts (especially as there's a chance they will know local horses), and c) come with you to viewings and ride the horse before you do. You should pay them for this (or at least offer to) - it would be a false economy not to, and you MUST take a knowledgeable friend. An instructor is better than a friend because they're be more objective. A friend might egg you on to buy the wrong horse.

If you don't currently have an instructor, find one and start having lessons. You absolutely need someone objective, who understands your capabilities and ambitions, to help you decide if any horse you look at is suitable.
However just be careful your instructor isn't making money for themselves by being in cahoots with the sellers, getting them to up the price and take a cut or other tricks. Hopefully they will be trustworthy but not always.

mini_b

Visit site
A whips horse doing the job well and sound won't be for sale mid season.

my thoughts also.
mines an “ex hunter” - would I take him to opening meet?
i wouldn’t but someone p*ssed up and wearing gaffer tape jods might!

if seller has suggested it’s not a first horse, then I’d go with that. There’s LOTS of suitable horses out there even though it feels like an eternity searching. I’d try a LWVTB if possible to see if you are a good match x

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Tbh if you want a horse suited to a less experienced rider they need to have proved themselves with that kind of rider. A lot of horses are beautifully well schooled and well behaved but if they have only ever been ridden by more experienced riders a lot of potential problems are nipped in the bud. And the horse will be used to clear aids and a well balanced rider. . So things can quickly go wrong if problems are allowed to escalate. And if a horse does not understand what the rider wants and gets stressed by the lack of direction.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Here’s one for you..

Learning it’s lateral work would indicate to me that it’s quite a young horse, or that it’s quite green for its age if it’s not.

Would having properly established schooling in place be helpful to you? Or would you be happy to school up a horse with the only the basics done for you?

Maybe try to approach it from the perspective of what you want/need in a horse as opposed to working backwards from what’s available in the market.

If you were to write a shopping list, what would you be looking for?

Starzaan

Visit site
Tbh if you want a horse suited to a less experienced rider they need to have proved themselves with that kind of rider. A lot of horses are beautifully well schooled and well behaved but if they have only ever been ridden by more experienced riders a lot of potential problems are nipped in the bud. And the horse will be used to clear aids and a well balanced rider. . So things can quickly go wrong if problems are allowed to escalate. And if a horse does not understand what the rider wants and gets stressed by the lack of direction.
This exactly. My horse is extremely well schooled and a pleasure to ride, however, if I put an inexperienced, nervous or unbalanced rider on him, he will eject them fairly spectacularly within minutes.
for a first horse you need something established and forgiving. And you absolutely must take an instructor with you. Too many of my clients come to me for lessons after losing their confidence over horsing themselves.

sportsmansB

Visit site
My horse is also a lovely, exceptionally well schooled boy who is quiet as a lamb (most of the time!) and looks like a complete dope to the casual observer.
However- he has only ever been ridden by competitive riders or professionals, and he would not like an inconsistent contact, or a lack of balance. He's simply never had it before. He is also managed carefully to ensure that he doesn't get fresh (as he then likes to remind you what a powerful and exciting chap he can be!) - and to manage him, its important to have the knowledge to know how to do that.

If you are looking at ads, try and find one which says 'perfect / suitable as first horse' - or make this your first question when you call!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I found one of my previous horses by putting making a 'wanted advert', printing off a few dozen copies at work and putting it under lorry and car window wipers during a show at our local show ground. It worked really well. At least you can start weeding out the horses that are unsuitable by only putting your personal requirements on the wanted advert.

If you want to eventually compete the horse then do it on a day when your potential chosen discipline is competing as you are likely to find a more suitable horse that way.