Whiskers oppinions?

moocow

Visit site
Hi,

Just wondering what peoples oppinions are on whiskers. we were atlking about this in the yard. My friend clipped my horse last year for me and took all her whiskers off as well. She was offering to clip her whiskers off again as they have grown back now.

It was just a trace clip so i could ride her in the winter, just neck chest and belly. i don't show, hunt, compete. i think horses should have their whiskers. Its their feelers to know where they are sticking their snouts! i woudln't remove my cats whiskers so why remove my mares?

I know its not as astethically pleasing to have whiskers but just wondered what people thought.

tinker512

Visit site
I never normally chop them completely off, just tend to tidy them up and trim them abit when I am trimming beards and ears etc

moocow

Visit site
Hmm... i just think that they are there for a reason. they also trim a lot of the hair inside the ears. i just think thats to stop dust etc from getting in there. its meant to be there.

THanks for that! i am not going mad then - there are others that think they should be there too!

Ta!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Her eyelashes are like daddy longlegs! I am dying to get rid of them!!!! I am sure they must tickle her and irritate ........

Anyway - apart from the M&Ms we get rid of all the whiskers. Our stripped horses don't act any differently to the M&Ms. Men shave every day, women (most of them!) shave areas of their bodies. I am not all that convinced that domestic horses need to have 4 ft whiskers in order to survive in a field.

miller

Visit site
Agree with FMM - mine gets shaved when competing and they've grown back now as we've not been out for ages.

TBH he's banged his head more since they've grown than when they were shaved - and he gets them caked in mud
grin.gif

fizzer

Visit site
whiskers should never be removed, they are there for a reason and that being- when there heads are down grazing they cannot see what they are eating, they feel by their whiskers, in germany it is illegal to remove whiskers

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
What happens if they can't see what they are eating. All of ours manage admirably. I find it astonishing that it is illegal in germany to remove whiskers and would love to see that in writing. It may certainly be against some breed standards, but are you certain there is a law preventing the clipping of whiskers from ALL horses.

Mind you, we have some fairly arcane laws in this country as well ...

moocow

Visit site
Have to say i am with sodapop on this one. as above, no one would shavea cats whiskers off, so why do people do it to horses?

Maybe its like human nails, poeple with long nails couldn't survive without then but biters like me cant manage a day wwith long nails!

WallisM

Visit site
I am like Edward scissors hands once I start snipping away.

I take off my horses whiskers, the hairs above his eyes and the hairs under his eyes ( not eye lashes ) I just think they look smarter.

They are there for a reason but my two lads don't seem bothered.

wink.gif

x

fizzer

Visit site
i have recently sat in on a feeding talk and was given this information then, as they say you learn something new every day, it intrigued me too about the law in germany regarding whiskers

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Every horse/pony I have ever had has pulled tail, mane and no whiskers. If I was in a sandy country would not do it but as in deepest mud of Somerset they come off.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
I think cat's whiskers are a different thing. They are close tot he cheek muscles and move when they twitch their noses. Horses whiskers don't seem to be connected to any thing. However, I stand to be corrected!!!

SSM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Her eyelashes are like daddy longlegs! I am dying to get rid of them!!!! I am sure they must tickle her and irritate ........

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
frown.gif
frown.gif
And horse whisper/expert AKA hubby
smirk.gif
has just said 'well yes those long bits could go
frown.gif
frown.gif
Poor Donks, sissors at the ready I think)

dozzie

Visit site
I would only remove whiskers from around the nose if i was showing. Otherwise whiskers stay as they are there for a reason.

WelshRareBit

Visit site
I dont remove Murphy's - why? because I just dont want to. But I think it a personal decision rather than a cruelty issue.
Girls on my yard remove their horses whiskers and Im sure they'd have a lot to say if anyone were to insinuate they were being cruel to their much loved and doted on horses!!