Whispering Willows and Alternative sanctuary

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
No but she had horses from tamara before the last raid. It's tamara that the court judgement thingy on who was keeping them was about.

popcorn1

Visit site
Probably got away with it hasn't she. All her merry followers have stopped running their mouths off on here. Disgusting that it was allowed to happen and shocking that horse people fell for it!

dorsetladette

Visit site
Probably got away with it hasn't she. All her merry followers have stopped running their mouths off on here. Disgusting that it was allowed to happen and shocking that horse people fell for it!

I saw a weird 'live' she recorded the other day that someone had shared. I can't find it now but she had some sort of filter on which made her look weird. I couldn't listen to it at the time as I wasn't in a place I could turn the volume up. I'd forgotten about it to be honest until this thread popped back up.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Cases take months (often years) to come to court, so it’s absolutely not the case that she’s got away with anything. The cogs of the judiciary turn very slowly.

Zero00000

Visit site
The only reference I have seen for charges was a post on facebook and may very well be inaccurate but it says theft of Bunny (the collapsed mare in Cardiff City centre) and neglect.

I agree with is that ALL she got!

Zero00000

Visit site
She already has horses on her land, under other people's names she had them within months of those poor animals being seized.

Archangel

Visit site
I am literally screaming at the computer

"There has not been a deliberate act to this offending, but something where she lost control in the circumstances."
"This is a case of well intentioned but incompetent care."
""She had good intentions to set up Whispering Willows but got out of her depth."

130 horses. Lost control? Well intentioned? Out of her depth?

FFS.

What we all know. Feeding this sort of desperate situation are owners desperate to offload horses who they can no longer keep, too old, too knackered, too mad to ride. The relief of finding a place that will take them means they drop their horses off, and they can walk away with their problem solved. For the horse it could just be beginning.

Any sanctuary that can take a horse at the drop of a hat needs looking at very closely and then again very, very, closely.
Any decent place has the brakes firmly on and ask owners to explore all other options, including euthanasia, before horses go on the wait list or just turn people away.

I'm screaming again...

The 54-year-old had set up the rescue centre to follow her dream of looking after horses after inheriting a six-figure sum, rescuing or taking in 137 of them, varying in breed and age.

Follow her dream? FFS. 54? FFS x 100

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Shes getting horse after horse after horse. Refers to them as her babies as if they are her personal pets and is doing all this on rented land with no security. The foals are turned out in someones garden. The lack of basic horse care and knowledge is horrific. Help has been offered from a reputable rescue and the response from the "sanctuary" and supporters is horrific, but its an interesting insight into how their minds work admittedly.

Once you've been around horses and/or rescues for a while you know how this goes. This woman will keep shipping horses in and then out as fast as she can, relying on donations from supporters to fund it all. Eventually she will either over extend herself and an actual rescue will have to go in an clean up the mess, or she will slip up with her sub standard care and an actual rescue will have to go in and clean up them mess. It always ends the same.

Well this was depressingly accurate.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It really isn't like the RSPCA to mount such a weak and incompetent prosecution, I'd like to know the full story of why their lawyer didn't push for a harder penalty :(

That's what I thought, they are usually quite keen to suggest that things are deliberate when they have actually lost control/are not coping.

Kaylum

Visit site
Isn't that the standard sentence for animal cruelty and reason why people are asking for harsher sentences for first time offences.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Isn't that the standard sentence for animal cruelty and reason why people are asking for harsher sentences for first time offences.

No, not at all. She could have got a very long period of unpaid work, a much longer and more onerous tagged curfew, a very big fine, or prison, suspended or otherwise.

It's a pathetic sentence.

Mule

Visit site
Is there any regulation on animal sanctuaries or can anyone set one up? I think they may attract animal hoarders.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Is there any regulation on animal sanctuaries or can anyone set one up? I think they may attract animal hoarders.
Good point.

Is there any downside to an equine rescue becoming a member of NEWC? A rescue which is not a member of NEWC was getting very aerated yesterday on FB about this, and its supporters were piling in to say how well run it was, etc.

TAKE NOTE!
This sanctuary may not be a NEWC member but we run to high selfregulation and care standards. This sanctuary is no Whispering Willows. I find the implied suggestion, in a report out today, insulting that if a sanctuary is not part of NEWC then they are no good. Not true