white line disease

DD

Visit site
any experiences, how did you cure it? my horse has this in both forefeet, farrier has cut away some of the wall but its proving difficult to eradicate.

sychnant

Visit site
My mare suffered from this earlier this year, I used Red Horse Artimud to pack the cracks, and am now using Keratex Hoof Hardener as the farrier thought her feet had got a bit soft due to all the rain last winter.

It's a nightmare! But fingers crossed, the above seems to have worked for her. Hope you can get yours sorted :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes, my mare has had a persistent problem with WLD, but finally nailed it with two treatment cycles of Clean Trax from the US. It's a soak that stays on for 45mins and really works.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine had this, in fact I removed the shoes, the nail holes seemed to be encouraging it to spread. Clean Trax cured it in one go, but we did all 4 feet, so it needed 2 bottles.

After 18 months with no shoes, we shod up for other reasons, and the white line disease was coming back almost straight away, which surprised me as there had been no trace for over a year.

I have just tried the copper covered nails, and it is a bit early to tell as yet, but it does seem to be working. I am hoping it will nip it in the bud.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
any experiences, how did you cure it? my horse has this in both forefeet, farrier has cut away some of the wall but its proving difficult to eradicate.

I'd be looking at diet. Low carbs, no added sugar, high fibre, minerals balanced if that doesn't crack it. But you do need to expose it all to the air as well. Has your farrier taken it back far enough?

DD

Visit site
thanks everyone. ycbm, I dont think the farrier has taken it back far enough infact the farrier didnt even spot it I had to point it out. the hole is about 3cm up and about 2 cm across at the toe. the horse is barefoot on a low sugar diet he has thunderbrooks feeds and hay daily, I think the wet winter hasnt helped and I guess the bottom of his hoof is what was growing over the winter and is softer than the rest. lives out mostly. is in on dry shaving atm during the day after treatment so as to keep dry and clean. today I have cleaned all his hoofs iwith soap and water then disinfected the frogs , just in case of anything starting there, and cleaned out the wld,area, squirted hoof disinfectant in and packed it with a matrix stuff which includes tea tree oil. this has worked in the past for me. will get cleantrax if there is no improvement so, Thank you all for the replies, it is encouraging and helps to stop me worrying.