White mould on haylage do you feed it?

ScarlettLady

Visit site
The white mould on Haylage is apparently harmless to horses, but who actually feeds it in haynets/ haybars etc?
I always chuck it, but a recent debate with a friend left me wondering if anyone feeds it.. :)
Thanks

BigRed

Visit site
I would just pull the mouldy bits off and feed the rest of it. Any decent feed shop would exchange the bale if you were worried.

Vetwrap

Visit site
No, I don't feed mouldy or wet haylage either, though I think they would eat the mouldy if there was some accidentally in the net.

They wouldn't eat the wet, as the smell is very acidic.

spike123

Visit site
black mould absolutely no way as toxic but the white mould is actually harmless and providing there isn't too much of it I have never had an issue with it. I wouldn't feed it on purpose though.

now_loves_mares

Visit site
I struggle to use a bale of haylage before it goes off (big bales) so I pull out and dispose of anything looking remotely dodgy, just because I know I'll end up chucking the last 1/3rd of the bale anyway. However if it wasn't for that, I'd not be too fussy with small bits of white mould, but I always make sure mine have way too much haylage so they can pick out the bits they do and don't want. Mine is very selective :rolleyes:

PennyJ

Visit site
If you mean the stuff that looks a bit like the white coating on brie or camembert then yes, if I can separate it, I give it to them to pick over and they seem to like it, it all gets eaten. If its a really thick clumpy lump then no. Black mouldy funny smelling stuff - never ever ever.

eggs

Visit site
The White stuff is sugar not mould so OK to use.

Gone off haylage has a horrible vinegary smell. If I open a bale that smells of I won't feed any of it and my supplier swaps the bale for me. I also don't feed if it is overly wet and definitely not any that has black or green/blue mould.

applecart14

Visit site
I thought it was the sugars that come up from the haylage that give it is white area but someone else said it was yeast.

We had a bale last week with white in the corner so we just tore the corner of each section. This was big baled haylage.

Marydoll

Visit site
It is yeast that is the white creamy almost beer smelling patches, its produced when it ferments, im happy to feed with this, but blue mould not a chance id feed it.

Last edited: