White mouldy haylage

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It should still smell sweet, without a sign of blue or brown and no dust when youshake it. Then it's just a yeast, and fine.

But I wouldn't be happy if there was a lot of it, not because white mould is going to be bad for them, but because it suggests that the haylage hasn't been made very well.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I opened one of mine today it's the very light haylage more like non dusty hay and made 2 quite big nets and my hands were black, it wasn't dusty but my hands were filthy afterwards had to really scrub them which I don't think is right at all, it just doesn't smell as nice as it used to either and it's the same supplier, maybe it was because of the really dry summer but if it carries on I might just get some hay instead and soak it.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The haylage is too dry this year. Mine has been variable, probably had 6 good bales of haylage but the rest have been more wrapped hay and as such, I have been putting the hose through the nets as there is a degree of dust.

TheMule

Visit site
The haylage is too dry this year. Mine has been variable, probably had 6 good bales of haylage but the rest have been more wrapped hay and as such, I have been putting the hose through the nets as there is a degree of dust.

Mine was cut mid morning, turned early afternoon and baled 3 hours later- the grass was so dry already, any longer would have made wrapped hay. It's lovely stuff!

Equi

Visit site
I'm the only one of the yard who will feed this type, because of the knowledge of you fine folk. A lot gets thrown into the "bucket" thats perfectly fine to eat, its never dusty and never smells bad or the like, but if its white noone will feed it! A lot of the younger stuff though is like hay though, so it will be interesting to see how it effects my horse, cause hes a bit fat i think. But then everyone tells me he is looking amazing lol but im used to looking at a skeleton horse and its hard to adjust my minds eye to him being well conditioned.

Mortician

New User
Visit site
Thank you x
It should still smell sweet, without a sign of blue or brown and no dust when youshake it. Then it's just a yeast, and fine.

But I wouldn't be happy if there was a lot of it, not because white mould is going to be bad for them, but because it suggests that the haylage hasn't been made very well.
tha a lot for this info x