Who braved the weather today & what did you do???

catembi

Visit site
Having nearly frozen to death just chucking food & hay at the horses this morning before scuttling back into the house, I had NO intention of riding today. Was just going to spend the day writing cards, wrapping presents, doing some admin for my new writers' group...

But by lunchtime I was restless & thought it was a bit feeble not to ride when my school is prob less than 100 metres from my back door. Sooooo I dressed as if going on an arctic expedition & went out. Full set of thermals, ear warmers, extra fleece etc.

Had a lovely time schooling, did the whole 45 mins & didn't get cold at all apart from my face. Very pleased I bothered as I get cabin fevery if I don't go out.

So what did everyone else do?? Did you get frost bite???

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
We have torrential rain and high winds here today
crazy.gif
the only thing I've done is feed, hay and muck out round the horses as there's no way I'm turning out in this!!

katie_southwest

Visit site
I was all geared up but horsey was soaked, and the showers werent giving up enough to get out without getting soaked. And to be honest I wanted to come home in the warm
grin.gif

connie1288

Visit site
I hacked 2, that was chilly, and took another one 2 a BSJA show 2omins away, now in front of the fire watching the racing!! Chillblains are not good tho!!

Puppy

Visit site
I haven't got out of bed yet
blush.gif
But my excuse is that I have flu
smirk.gif
As I'm not that far away from you we must have similar weather and I am impressed because my word it looks horrible out there
crazy.gif

Nailed

Visit site
Ted did even get to go in the school today.. Because apparently he isnt as important as every other horse and they other horses NEEDED to be ridden this morning.. and NO you cant turn Ted out for half an hour because we need to ride.. individually and then turn our horses in the field...

So i think you can tell i got a little pissed off.. Because Ted cant go in the field at the moment.. where as there horses can.. and its not a luxuary putting him int he schooll.. if i dont he'dd end up with an infection and ill end up with a vet bill.

GRRR

Lou x

brackenhappy

Visit site
up at the stables very early almost froze to death sorting out the various cuts on bracken:-( mucked out did waters and haynets then went back home for couple of hours then back there to put eye drops in and back at home now trying to defrost ready to go back up to clean cuts,do eyes then stable chores all over again in an hour or 2!! and freeze all over agian!!!

Allykat

Visit site
Hacked both mine because our indoor school was very kindly booked up for 2 hours by some people down the road GRRR!! So it seems we have a nice indoor school for us to use in all weathers except when its raining and other outside people want to use it!!

Wasn't too bad though but now have 2 sets of tack to clean!!
frown.gif

Natch

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ted did even get to go in the school today.. Because apparently he isnt as important as every other horse and they other horses NEEDED to be ridden this morning.. and NO you cant turn Ted out for half an hour because we need to ride.. individually and then turn our horses in the field...

So i think you can tell i got a little pissed off.. Because Ted cant go in the field at the moment.. where as there horses can.. and its not a luxuary putting him int he schooll.. if i dont he'dd end up with an infection and ill end up with a vet bill.

GRRR

Lou x

[/ QUOTE ]

mad.gif

Lou - would he be ok long reined or even just led round the school for 1/2 hour while the other horses were being ridden? Or would be blow his top and want to be silly? I'd do that and if I p8ssed off the others who don't want him to have T/O then GOOD!

Just come back from having taken Frankie out - weather was fine, don't know what you're all on about!
tongue.gif
Then felt sorry for them all for having such a rubbish night (we had the gales and rain overnight, kept me up and certainly kept them up) so snuck them all some carrots and a slice of haylage between them to keep them going until dinner time
blush.gif
grin.gif

Nailed

Visit site
lmfao.. I wasnt 'allowed' to use the school as they wer ehaving 'lesson' of another livery! WELL WRTE IT ON THE BOARD! ffs.

No i can longrein him he'll be a divvy and injury him self.. and as i feel with some of the people up there at the moment, i dont fancy getting in a firing line cause i might flip out.

Lou x

NeilM

Visit site
Went to the field to do the chores and then hack out, and the second I walked up to my lad, I knew, without even looking, that he'd thrown a front shoe.

Ended up hacking my OH's horse, while she rode a youngster that belongs to the people with the next field. Four of us all jogging along in the cold.

I DID feel guilty leaving my poor bloke at the field, but got back to find him scoffing some haylidge, so he obviously did not miss his ride at all
grin.gif

BuckingHorse

Visit site
We hacked 2 this morning but decided against riding Tica in the rain cos she's a bit of a diva and doesn't like getting wet!
Came home and mucked out the 4 here and chucked hay in.

Now sat in the warm with the fire on.

Mistyrocks

Visit site
Well i went and worked 8- till 12 indoor barn
smile.gif
extra cash too
smile.gif
then braved weather and schooled breeze and she went lovely and then i put them in for a bit to dry and then chucked her back out (she lives out) with feed, haylage and carrots in her shelter, she has two heavy weights and one of them is a fal pro full neck and its the warmest thing ever! shes happy as larry to be out in the rain.. it does help her fields being surrounded by woods which shelter her from the wind... now at home chilling after finally warming up..

Silverspring

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We have torrential rain and high winds here today
crazy.gif
the only thing I've done is feed, hay and muck out round the horses as there's no way I'm turning out in this!!

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto that
smile.gif
scotland has such lovely weather at this time of year!

fornema

Visit site
Appropriatly one of my horses came in lame last night but is having to be stabled, i dont think she realises it but shes lucky. After feeding my other 2 girls i rode my crazy pony this afternoon It hasnt stopped raining alll day here but i decided to ride anyway. I knew she was going to be a nutter as she decided she had to jump out of her field sideways to come and get her food rather than wait. She was being a bit of an idiot and put in a lovely big rear haha after that we schooled round our big field n she did real well, but everything was super scary coz it was wet and muddy she has a slight phobia of stuff on her feet i.e. mud so hehe after that i was a bit to hot lol

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The main achievement today was actually managing to get to the yard.....I'm glad I've still got my 4x4. The torential rain last night & today has flooded everywhere. There's a river running down the lane next to stables. Three stables have been flooded out, fortunately not mine but it's been a nightmare!!
crazy.gif

x_Sammie_x

Visit site
it was raining hear in newbury so i just mucked him out and put him back in i got him a dengi block today but looks like he hasnt botherd with it...
i cant ride untill the new year (because he threw me off now i have a bad back) so i was ok i got a excuse but really i cant wait to get back on him again..

Janette

Visit site
Cancelled my lesson because of rain and wind (cold winds cause damage to the surface of the eye), spent the morning mucking out and washing legs, mane and tail in prep for the dressage tomorrow.............. then tucked her up in bed for the day.

nikkiportia

Visit site
Hacked him up to home this morning, and thrown him in a big barn for the weekend. Had farrier come so he has nice new shoes
grin.gif

This afternoon, me and artysteph took him to the heated stables and bathed his legs, mane and tail
grin.gif
They were totally gross
mad.gif

Tucked up in the barn tonight, he's getting a clip tomorrow
smile.gif

Mel85

Visit site
Well I couldnt even get to the yard to ride today as the flooding so bad and I don't have the luxury of 4x4! I wasn't too disappointed though as have horrible cold and feel awful so don't think a few hours getting sodden would have helped much! Luckily owner able to hack horse out this afternoon once it dried up.

frb

Visit site
I hacked for about half hour then turned back! Did not feel too bad in yard, but very exposed open fields when i go out the back of the yard. Horrendous wind, rain coming in sideways, very slippery. My boy was very good, but was not enjoying it, and started leaping a bit, so came home, stuck his warm clothes on and popped him out with oodles of hay. I went home to defrost in the bath. No one else on yard braved it, as they are all sane.
grin.gif

corinnematthews

Visit site
You can't give racehorses a day off, and thay have stopped going out in the field as far too fit, and likely to injure themselves - so took them for a long ride with a freind riding one of them who has not ridden out a fit TB in over 20 years! Her horse was really good, mine was a nightmare and jogged for about 10 miles - only calming down a bit after we had trotted up a 2 mile long hill! I think that he is ready to run - but have got to teach him to jump again - and with water logged fields that is not so easy!!