Who can microchip?

Riz

Visit site
Hi all-quick question! Who can microchip dogs? Can breeders do it themselves? I've had a google and can't seem to find an answer!

Riz

Visit site
Thank you MM-was a bit suprised when friend told me her pup was chipped by the breeder when they were there collecting him....I thought that would be a vet only job!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Not a vet only job but they do have to have passed tests and be licensed to do it; very strict about it too - quite rightly.
Quite possibly the breeder did take the tests; a friend of mine did them because they are a holding kennels for council strays. She recently did an organized day at a local ag' store and chipped nearly 300 dogs!

satinbaze

Visit site
Kennel club website has a list of registered chippers. My local one is also a breeder and runs a breed rescue

Dry Rot

Visit site
Interesting question! I have been microchipping my own dogs for over 30 years and I would claim to have been trained by a vet who has now retired and moved to Spain. I'm intending to just do my dogs as usually and send off the registration forms and see what happens. Not intending to chip anyone else's dogs though. My vets use my chips on the ponies. The numbers go in the passports but I don't bother to register them other than that. With the KC and DEFRA involved, it will all be a nonsense anyway! :D