Who do you insure with?

mollyh

Visit site
Just looking for quotes for my horse, those who do insure - who are you with? Do you insure with hunting as the 'primary activity'?

The vets fees thing seems to vary so much.

Any idea of what people are paying for a horse worth £5k + vets fees, with no personal Liability/Loss of use/tack would be of interest. Thank you!

crazyhorse2010

Visit site
Hi, I'm with Petplan ,they are expensive but they pay out very well and so the vet will take payment direct from them and I highly recommend them. My little horse isn't high value so its quite cheap for me only £40 p/m, probably be quite a bit more for £5k horse. I haven't started hunting yet so I haven't upgraded my insurance but soon will be although I won't be out more than two to three times per month.

mollyh

Visit site
Thank you. Just got a quote from kbis (h/box with them) for £60 month and petplan £72 a month with hunting primary activity.

Anyone any experience of claims with KBIS?

ScratchyMooMoo

Visit site
I'm with NFU I pay around £67.00 per month but I have extra things added such as a dressage and show jumping saddle both valued at 1K each and my Ifor Willaims trailer is included in this policy as well. My horse is only valued at 4K on the policy, he is probably worth more but I put him down as less the keep the premium a bit lower. I'm more concerned that he is covered for vets fees and if I lost him I'd probably give up or buy a youngster anyway. I don't have loss of use cover either, works out too expensive for me.

Ginger Bear

Visit site
I'm with SEIB (South East Insurance Brokers), I have both mine on the same policy, had a 5K plus claim on one horse & 3K claim a few months later on the other (both had operations).. all paid out, no issues & renewal premium didn't even go up. It's £52 per month.

mollyh

Visit site
I'm with NFU I pay around £67.00 per month but I have extra things added such as a dressage and show jumping saddle both valued at 1K each and my Ifor Willaims trailer is included in this policy as well. My horse is only valued at 4K on the policy, he is probably worth more but I put him down as less the keep the premium a bit lower. I'm more concerned that he is covered for vets fees and if I lost him I'd probably give up or buy a youngster anyway. I don't have loss of use cover either, works out too expensive for me.

Yeah I'm the same, his market value is over £7k, I paid more, but just insuring him for £5k brings it down a bit, as like you say its for vets fees mainly. I wish you could insure just for vets fees!

Will have a look at SEIB too.

ScratchyMooMoo

Visit site
Yeah I agree. Dread a massive vet bill more than anything & having my saddles stolen! The reason I went with NFU in the end was due to the small print in some other polices regarding locks on tack rooms, some companies won't cover you unless you have 5 point mortar locks. NFU will cover you as long as it's in a locked room, they don't stipulate the type of lock required, our tack room is secure and has a good lock, but just has a normal mortar lock. I can also compete up to BE novice without an extension to the normal policy with NFU. A lot of polices want more for eventing. I haven't looked at SEIB but may take a look when my policy is up for renewal.