Who doesnt have insurance for their horse?

khalswitz

Visit site
I do insure mine, but to be honest not because of colic surgeries or broken legs etc - because lameness diagnostics are so expensive! My first horse I spent £1500 just on work-ups, nerve blocks, bute trials and x-rays... and we had a diagnosis, but then couldn't afford the treatment. My last horse, when he went chronically and hard-to-diagnose lame, was uninsured, and I had to PTS him because I couldn't afford the diagnostics. So new one is insured... just in case he ends up lame more than anything else!!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Ive cancelled both of mine this year. Have BHS gold and save the premiums each month in a savings account. I do use whatever is saved for horsebox insurance, mot, hay etc and then start saving again. Im fortunate to have savings if I need them for a big bill. I cancelled them because I had to make a claim for my old TB, the vets bill for ongoing treatment reached over 2k before the insurer got around to accepting the claim, during this time I was never sure the claim would be accepted and tbh if I hadn't been insured would have taken a different course of action (rest rather than investigation which actually would have had the same result) This way I like to think I make the best decision for the horse rather than chucking money at it regardless, just because I can.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have never insured a horse and can only wonder at the marvellous marketing job insurance companies have done if people are actually now "scared" of not being insured. Insurance companies are not there to "take care" of you and your horse, they exist to make money (YOUR money). They gamble that any claims made will not equal the amount paid in premiums, and they win the majority of the time, hence they are very profitable businesses. If my horses are sick or injured I pay the vet bill; if they are too sick or injured they are put down. I believe many horses are put through procedures that are either unnecessary, ineffective or aggressive just to keep the insurance payments going, often with negligible outcomes. Insurance is a rip off, save money to pay your vet bills.

Frosty89

Visit site
I have never insured a horse and can only wonder at the marvellous marketing job insurance companies have done if people are actually now "scared" of not being insured. Insurance companies are not there to "take care" of you and your horse, they exist to make money (YOUR money). They gamble that any claims made will not equal the amount paid in premiums, and they win the majority of the time, hence they are very profitable businesses. If my horses are sick or injured I pay the vet bill; if they are too sick or injured they are put down. I believe many horses are put through procedures that are either unnecessary, ineffective or aggressive just to keep the insurance payments going, often with negligible outcomes. Insurance is a rip off, save money to pay your vet bills.

Very well said. I have never bothered with insurance for any of my horses, most vets will let you pay in instalments for big bills. I have 3rd party only which costs me next to nothing which I have to have if I want to compete and just incase my horse hurts anyone.

abb123

Visit site
I cancelled my insurance for one of my mares as she was exempt for everything due to colic surgery and resulting complications.

I actually asked the insurers what she was actually covered for and after a lot of umming and erring they struggled to come with anything that I was bothered about.

Three years on and no vet call outs I am around £900 up. I have just had to call the vet out for her this weekend but I don't think it will cost that much!

My other mares insurance I kept up. As she is just about to turn 23, I think I will probably cancel hers soon too.

For both of them now anything that would cost a significant amount I would probably decide not to go ahead with anyway due to age and other issues so no point really

Polos Mum

Visit site
I agree with all of the below - when I have been insured I have told vets I am NOT insured becasue I've found you get a totally different suggested treatment if they believe you are not insured. Re the suggested £1500 spend on lameness work ups = honestly before I spent anything like that I'd give them a long period of field rest (which is often what the vet suggest after maxing out insurance cap anyway!)

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's difficult for me to express the dislike I have of vet fees insurance and the head long rush it causes to stick needles into the joints of young horses in order to treat as much as possible before the next renewal .

khalswitz

Visit site
I agree with all of the below - when I have been insured I have told vets I am NOT insured becasue I've found you get a totally different suggested treatment if they believe you are not insured. Re the suggested £1500 spend on lameness work ups = honestly before I spent anything like that I'd give them a long period of field rest (which is often what the vet suggest after maxing out insurance cap anyway!)

This was after six weeks rest and trying to bring back into work, then six MONTHS rest before trying to bring into work... then did the diagnostics. I regret trying the rest route first because actually the injury he had could have probably been easier to fix sooner... although diagnostics would have been the same. The second one, he got four months rest, but was no better and lame in field, even on danilon. I'll admit I've had pretty bad luck with lamenesses - most people's horses get better!! However I would rather pay the insurance and know it was feasible to get it sorted.

And Goldenstar - firstly not young horses, first one 12 the other 14. Plus my insurer gives me 12 months from the injury/illness starting to claim, not just before he renewal.

tikino

Visit site
Rubysgold as you will remember i did it with toby as he had more exclusions than what was insured. its was the wises decision i took and never looked back so do it. the one thing i did do was become a bhs gold member which covered me for public liability for toby

Serephin

Visit site
My horse is not insured, at 19 the cost was creeping up way to much. He has just had to have surgery, but as I wasn't insured the costs came in pretty reasonable and have gone on the credit card. I have public liability with the BHS.

McCauley

Visit site
Admittedly Yes,...it is indeed a scary thing to cancel insurance, that you've been so used to paying for years on end (and if like me, fortunately in one respect, never ever claimed in the years my horse had been insured!).

So i got to thinking some 4 years or so ago,...did my sums and cancelled my insurance with the broker..... and i now do what alot of others who've responded to this thread do.

I pay so much into a saving account each month and let that build up. It's my money, i know when i if i ever need it, it's there for me to use straight away. It's rainy day money too, and over the years this system has worked well for me,...rather than putting X amount of pennies into the insurers hands over a 12 month period!

Fingers crossed my horse has stayed pretty healthy in his 13 years on this planet and hopefully it will carry on this way, although i'm under no illusions as he gets older, i will have to dip into the account to 'save the day' if i need the vets for anything big.

Cocorules

Visit site
Thanks - we do! We have over 200 Welfare Officers throughout the country plus dedicated Access and Safety teams both at HQ and throughout local areas, not to mention world-class education and training and promoting the highest standards at equestrian establishments.

Money from membership (which includes Public Liability and Personal Accident insurances provided by SEIB at Gold level) contributes directly to this charitable work. An overview is here: http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/our-purpose

I am a gold member and I thought it only covers public liability insurance and not personal accident now. Would you be able to confirm?

Ruftysdad

Visit site
I have just cancelled my insurance due to all the exclusions(even though there is little wrong with my horse)every time I called the vet out for a minor ailment I gained a new exclusion. I now have 3rd party with the BSJA.It cost less than BHS.I cannot remember how much and as I am away at present, do not have the figures. All I know was The best deal I could find

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I don't any more. I get better treatment because the vets aren't going through the motions of tests that aren't always in the horse's best interests. I want the vet to work for me and my horse, not the insurance provider.
Tired of exemptions on the flimsiest of reasons, I wanted to regain control of my horse's health without worrying about having the vet out and risking another unjustified exemption.

I have saved so much money as usually vet call outs come to less than the excess would have been. I do have the means to cover emergency treatment and in the case of something major, I'd either pay the price or euthanize, but always having what's best for the horse at the fore front.
I have PL with the WHW (for less than the BHS) and I'm very happy to spend the money on such a worthwhile charity.

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site
I am a gold member and I thought it only covers public liability insurance and not personal accident now. Would you be able to confirm?

Hi, Cocorules - we're not sure where that's come from but it's definitely not true! Personal Accident is still included. Full details on what exactly is covered with our Gold membership are available in our Key Facts leaflet: https://www.bhs.org.uk/~/media/BHS/Files/PDF Documents/Gold Membership SEIB Insurance Key Facts.ashx

Details of amounts covered are also included in this leaflet (e.g. £10 million on the Public Liability policy), which can vary quite widely between different policies and insurers (as can any excess required).

Last edited: