Who else has the fatty paddock going?

Nudibranch

Visit site
I set up the track yesterday - 2 months early! Admittedly the winter field is quite big but the summer field is too boggy still. The grass round here is green, and we are 250 metres up on Hadrian's Wall so this is no warm southerly climate.

Both beasts need to lose a good half to full point condition score still. They have had a total of one small bale of hay between them all winter, which was only for filling a tiny net when they're in for a ride. I am not impressed. Oh for a cold snap!

SEL

Visit site
Nearly! I was sorting electric fencing out this morning. Both horses were a bit miffed to be popped into their smaller paddock today but it has a nice haze of green which I want nibbled down before it becomes more than a haze. Paddock next door had been empty since Xmas and has some real growth on it.

Lawn needs mowing too.

southerncomfort

Visit site
My two ponies are in a bare 1 1/2 acre paddock. I've been giving a small amount of hay 3 times a day but I've reduced it to twice a day as they both need to lose some weight now before the grass starts growing.

scats

Visit site
Mine were muzzled up until the snow a couple of weeks ago. We have too much grass. Field they are in currently still has loads on it, but they girls obviously don’t think so as they are moping by about 2pm. They can mope all they want!

Pc2003

Visit site
I will be reducing the size of my paddock from the weekend onwards. We are due a decent spell of warm dry weather so I think the grass will really start to shoot thru

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Brought my two - cobs & good doers - up from the primeval Bog-field on Monday; they've been down in the mire since last October when we had the two oldies PTS, and it was time to bring them up, not only as the grass is growing like crazy, but also the entrance track to the field is horribly muddy and I'm just sick of dealing with two muddy mammoths with mud just hanging off 'em in clumps!

So now they're up nearer to the dwelling house (I have my own yard and live on-site), under my watchful eye, and being strip-grazed. Poor beasties think they're candidates for an RSPCA photo-shoot right now as they are being grazing-restricted and starved and horrible things like "work" and "exercise" are beginning to happen to them! Went out this morning and they were both looking at me ever so pitifiully with a pair of faces like a slapped arse apiece.

Both been farrier'ed and physio'd (bleddi expensive week!), and ready to go.

Next job is to get the clippers sorted.......

scruffyponies

Visit site
I'm a real meanie. I don't give hay unless there's at least 6" of snow, so my fatties have to really look hard to find the bits of edible stuff still available. That way I just move the poorer doers (not that any of mine are really) onto fresh grass, and leave the fatties where they are until they're down to size, so they can have the full 12 acres.

They have no expectation of me turning up with hay, so they're constantly foraging, which is better for them mentally and physically.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Yep thankfully we have no grass as one too many on 3 acres but I have one at boot camp - soaked hay, trickle nets, oat chaff, upping work!

pippixox

Visit site
Mine are on February diets! They had plenty of foddage all winter but I also hayed and think I got over generous at Christmas after pony got PTS, my my remaining two are looking very well for end of winter!
So now in light rugs and naked in the day. Handful of feed and hay to stop mare having a strop (she paces fence line!) but with just two weeks of being strict they have dropped a bit.

SEL

Visit site
Well they may have been on the smaller paddock yesterday but neither of them were at the gate yelling at me at bringing in time - in fact they both looked up a bit surprised from nibbling grass shoots :rolleyes:

Only been off that paddock 6 weeks. I knew I wasn't imagining that green haze!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Hehe little monkeys aren't they! But oh doesn't it feel good to have some beautiful blue skies & gorgeous sunshine! Ours are all naked & going into lightweight rugs overnight too to battle the bulge!!

w1bbler

Visit site
I'm about to put fence up so my 3 only have 1/2 of their 5 acres & other half can be harrowed dock sprayed etc .
Also just sold most of the 80 bales of hay i bought nice & cheap off the field in the summer (small profit).
Got loads of grass still, but now I'm preparing for spring I expect we'll have another beast from the east in March.😂
Can't believe what an easy winter this has been so far, grass never stopped growing &barely any mud