Who feeds 20kg haylage bags in winter?

cblover

Visit site
Just curious how many of you with just one or two horses buy haylage in the small 20kg bags to feed through the winter.

The cost this winter seems to have gone up in shops round me, due to having a poor growing summer. Its now £7.95 a bag. I have a clyde and a young cob so I need around 5 bags a week...or I will in the depths of winter...but it’s still not enough to warrant me needing a big round bale, which is obviously cheaper.

Do any of you get concerned at the cost of having to buy the smaller bags? Plus if anyone does things differently and cheaper, I’d love to hear. I just don’t think I could chance getting a big bale, have it go off and make my horses poorly.

be positive

Visit site
With 2 you should get through enough to use a big bale but may find a rectangular one better for several reasons, it is far easier to use as it breaks into sections, you can open it up to allow air in so it doesn't heat up and they are smaller than the rounds, my supplier makes medium and large bales, it is usually fairly dry so lasts well and at the price even if you waste some it works out so much cheaper than small bales, I pay £26-30 for mine delivered.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
£7.95 x 5 =£39.75 per week for small bale.

A large round haylage, depending on where you are based, will be £35. In the depths of winter it will easily last you 2 weeks and if you unroll it to let the air through it will last you longer. Even if you had some waste you are still vastly better off buying a big bale.

Louby

Visit site
With 2 I would definately consider a large bale. Ive one horse and wouldnt feed small bagged haylage as Id use way too much and it would cost a fortune. Todays haylage is much drier and keeps better, especially when its cold.

oldie48

Visit site
I also agreee with looking for the rectangle bales. This is what I make and even with only Mr B and little fatty, I don't waste much if any but I do ask for it to be made on the dry side

pippixox

Visit site
I get large rectangles for £35 and it will last 4 horses a week: but two were good doer ponies. As others have said- personally I have found it ok open for two weeks when I use less in the spring and autumn. I briefly used small bales end of spring when we had the unexpected snow as my supplier of big bales only delivers 10+ and I didn’t need many for the summer. But they certainly did not go as far for the money.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Last time I had to use the 20kg haylage, I found a local farmer who made them for £4.50 a bale rather than £6.50 odd from the tack shop. I agree large bale is much better though. I got a large bale of hay a couple of years ago, kept it outside covered with a tarp and it lasted a 14hh cob and a shetty 5 weeks adlib!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I was buying big bale haylage for two. It actually lasts quite well if you try and get slightly drier meadow haylage. Lots cheaper even with a bit of waste sometimes

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
Or if you've got the space bulk buy the smaller bales. I have three horses but feed a mix of hay and haylage, so like you don't really get through enough to justify big bales. I am lucky enough to have them at home so have oodles of storage. By bulk ordering I got my lot for this winter at approx £5.50 a bale (inc. delivery) I could also get a mixture of hi-fibre for fatty native/ companion and hi-spec for the veteran.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just curious how many of you with just one or two horses buy haylage in the small 20kg bags to feed through the winter.

The cost this winter seems to have gone up in shops round me, due to having a poor growing summer. Its now £7.95 a bag. I have a clyde and a young cob so I need around 5 bags a week...or I will in the depths of winter...but it’s still not enough to warrant me needing a big round bale, which is obviously cheaper.

Do any of you get concerned at the cost of having to buy the smaller bags? Plus if anyone does things differently and cheaper, I’d love to hear. I just don’t think I could chance getting a big bale, have it go off and make my horses poorly.

We only have 2 x 16hh this year and are feeding big round bales, we have one delivered each week and have a week off every now and again. As the weather gets colder haylage is unlikely to go off before your horses have eaten it, especially if you keep it covered. We re-use the top half of the cover as a 'hat' after we have cut the cover off.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I pay top whack for really good haylage in Cheshire at £42 a big bale it lasts my 2 biggies and 2 littlies 10days to 2 weeks except
In January / feb when I get thru a bale a week... even if you waste some big bales will be cheaper

cblover

Visit site
Thanks for that, much appreciated. Think I’ll shop round and get some prices for big bales delivered. Sounds like it’s worth a try.

asmp

Visit site
Or if you've got the space bulk buy the smaller bales. I have three horses but feed a mix of hay and haylage, so like you don't really get through enough to justify big bales. I am lucky enough to have them at home so have oodles of storage. By bulk ordering I got my lot for this winter at approx £5.50 a bale (inc. delivery) I could also get a mixture of hi-fibre for fatty native/ companion and hi-spec for the veteran.

Only do this as long as you don't have rats around. I did this one year but the rats made holes in a few bales which made the bales go off. The ruined bales negated the saving I made buying in bulk

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I buy the round haylage for £35 I only have 2 horses but it is the very dry haylage not the rich sticky stuff, it lasts about 2 weeks a bit less in winter and it's fine doesn't go off, you just need to try and source the really dry stuff.