Who feeds all year round?

xpkEcho

Visit site
My pony who is out 24/7 (but on pretty meagre grass) gets a handful of fibergy mainly for her supplement. My sports horse (out 08.00 - 15.00) gets a handful of cubes 3x a day plus half a scoop of mix in the evening. She mainly gets fed this often because she's on livery and the horses all get fed together. I do tend to feed all year round, even if it's just a small amount, for either supplements or just to make sure they're getting all they need. I don't think I'm qualified to know how nutritional our grass truly is!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do so I can supplement they also have some forage everyday when in the stable .
Many because grass sickness is much rarer in horses not eating grass alone .

Hannahgb

Visit site
Twice a day all year round. But mine do come in at night. Fatty only gets a handful for his supplements and to keep him quiet whilst the others get fed. Skinny can eat as much as she likes as shes a fussy eater and needs to put some weight on!

Damnation

Visit site
For those that feed garlic it really isn't good for them as it disrupts the important gut bacteria and does nothing good really. See saved you some money ;)

Mine can't eat it for this reason! Garlic and Hayledge set of my mare's Colitis, then I have to feed her Charcoal, or get the vet out etc. I avoid it at all costs!

I am am usually in the don't feed camp but this is the first summer she has been barefoot and we have just moved to scabby grazing (more turnout than last yard!) so I think I shall be nipping out at lunch time and grabbing some Alfa A! (I already have speedibeet)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Ours are fed twice a day everyday. They compete & need the extra energy. The size of the feed does vary though depending on what we plan to do with them. If they're having a day off then they have very little but they do have something.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Yes, cos my two oldies would fade away to nothing if I tried to make them rely on the summer grass; although having said that P is on reduced hard feed right now and more forage (Hi-Fi Lite and Fast Fibre) to keep his gut ticking over properly, the grass has been a bit rich but his peculiarities mean he can't cope without enough fibre. Mini P is just on a very small handful of hi-fi lite so I can give him his vitamin and mineral supplement.

windand rain

Visit site
Mine are fed year round as they are permanently strip grazed so they get the same oatstraw chaff, linseed, pepper, turmeric, salt and vitamin supplement year round the grass is just to nibble while they are out 24/7 it keeps them moving as they are on a sort of track. Looking after an EMS pony he is fed soaked hay 4 times a day and has two low sugar feeds of Hi Fi mollasses free with a balancer He is in a grass free pen

anuvb

Visit site
My feeding regime doesn't change throughout the year. We do dressage and show jumping and are on pretty good grazing but my horses tend to have a lot of TB in them and work hard so they need the extra. I feed a good quality balancer and hifi, morning and evening and they have access to good quality forage 24/7 whether out or in. Occasionally I will add alpha oil or speedibeet if they need more condition in the winter, but I never stop feeding entirely.

If I ever had a fatty type horse again then I would clearly review it!

eggs

Visit site
Yes although most only get one feed in summer but two in winter. They are all in reasonably hard work and in during the day with some hay to pick at and out at night.

muckypony

Visit site
One of mine gets fed all year round (ridden/competes a lot and needs some high energy feed! But the other two don't get anything once they go out 24/7 in the Spring. They only get a tiny feed when they're in over winter because I feel bad feeding the other and them looking at me longingly!

skint1

Visit site
Mine have Fast Fibre all year round, amount varies according to the grass. They both have medication/supplements

KAZJAZ

Visit site
fed twice daily and to be honest its not much less than what's fed in winter, the only difference being she's out 24/7 summer and in at night with haylage in winter, she's worked and competes throughout summer, winter her workload is less due to daylight hrs.

applecart14

Visit site
I need to add supplements to my feeds so have to give a hard feed. And the fact that my horse is still only turnout out for two hours a day on grass, I don't think it would be fair to stop him from having two feeds per day.

If he were out 24/7 I would probably re think the amount and quantities I fed.

Rollin

Visit site
Yes, small Safe and Sound, only my stallions get a big feed, and a handful of hard feed for the 1-3 year old, just once a day, when we bring them in. I still think they need vits/mins, also it is just part of the daily routine. I would never feed one horse without another. If the good doers 'think' they are getting a feed that is fine.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
When mine did live out I fed once a day instead of twice a day but just for convenience. When they are in part of the day the same feed is split into 2 to keep the same routine as the rest of the yard.

Queenbee

Visit site
My beast has very little feed - I probably go through 2 bags of grass chaff (maximum) in a year.... He has a scoop of grass chaff with some dried spearmint added once a day in the evening when he comes in, although this regime usually starts around December. Since he is in all year round at night I would happily keep this a constant, however when it gets hotter and the grass is better - he takes himself off his feed - he just is not that fussed! He started ignoring it last week and went straight for his hay, he did this three days in a row so I stopped feeding him, yesterday I decided to give him a small amount after he had worked so hard on the lunge - his attitude was 'meh' and he probably ate a couple of mouthfuls - I now have 1/2 a bag of grass chaff sat doing nothing!