Who feeds brewers yeast?

gill84

Visit site
I've heard various things brewers yeast can be used for. I have a 3 year who gets mild sweet itch and an old girl who is barefoot and lacks sparkle. I've heard it can be used for both these as well as a calmer.
So who uses it and what for? And what doseage?

Carlosmum

Visit site
I have been feeding brewers yeast in tablet form for about 3 months as a calmer, along with 'magnitude'. I am almost sure its making a difference though it has taken a month or so for my older/bigger gelding to appear calmer.

I feed 6 tablets / day to the 14 hh pony & 8 to the bigger boy who is 15hh. I've no idea whether it is the correct amount I based it on someone feeding 4/ day to a pony smaller than mine!

rowan666

Visit site
Ive bin using it for a month or so on mine as calmer for the mare and all round hoof and gut health for them all. So far cant honestly say ive seen any difference yet but ill give it till the bag finishes. (its going to last forever im sure!) ive been giving all mine a tblsp a day along with the tumeric thing im also trying.

ameeyal

Visit site
I feed my 4 brewers yeast, 1 heaped tablespoon, it works out cheaper if you have a few horses to get a 20kg bag from Charnwood mills { or split it with friends} can not remember how much it is.

cptrayes

Visit site
I feed 50g a day because it has a double effect on the gut, suppressing inflammation in one way and encouraging something else that stops inflammation. We were told this on the forum quite a while ago by someone who had studied it.

One of my horses got laminitic when I got a batch that he would not eat.

windand rain

Visit site
I feed it in winter to keep their tummies settled. I feed it in summer to keep flies away it works for the natives really well as hay can be a bit rich for their dustbin tummies

southerncomfort

Visit site
We feed it to my Dad's old Welsh D who suffers badly in the digestive department when we have the Spring or Autumn flush of grass. Have to say I was sceptical as we'd previously tried Pink Powder which has Brewers yeast as one of the ingredients, however ditching the PP and giving a larger dose of BY works brilliantly for her.

Can't say she is any calmer but then she is a Welsh D and we wouldn't have her any other way. ;)

Slave2Magic

Visit site
I started feeding it to my mare last year and all I can say is it has stopped her bucking in canter and her feet have been a lot better since she started on it:) It was the only thing I changed so it must be the BY.I put the bucking down to acid build up and it being uncomfortable for her. Another weird one but she is also the only horse on the yard that has had no mud fever this year. Make of that what you will.

ibot

Visit site
hey I fed It to my boy until I finished the bag for his sweet itch I saw no difference at all?? I am going to try good rug and dio sect?? or something like that from the vet this year. be thankful if you have a mild case its one of the worst things about owning a horse for me.

hope this has helped
xx

Tash88

Visit site
I will be trying it from Saturday as I've ordered some from Feedmark and it should be arriving tomorrow, but after I get home from the yard. I'm trying it as a calmer (along with Magnitude like Carlosmum) but I think the digestive health effect of it will also be useful for my boy. Will follow this thread, it's also good to know that it doesn't have an immediate effect so I won't worry if I don't notice a difference for a while.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I started feeding it for gut health, but have seen a benefit in his coat. Last year (after I started feeding it daily) he had hardly any itchy spots, and grew his mane and tail back. The previous 3 years since owning him he had half a mane even in winter, and a tail like a toilet brush. He had scratchy weeping patches every year. His coat is now very soft and shiny, and no itches at all.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My two have had it for a while now; started off feeding it to Trad-Lad as he's got sweet itch and apparently feeding Brewers Yeast discourages flies/midges as they simply don't like the smell of the stuff when its given off in the horse's coat. You can't/shouldn't feed garlic to a SI horse, so Brewers Yeast does the job very well.

Both horses have lovely shiney coats and bright eyes. Neither have mud fever, not even this year.

They also have Cider Vinegar and Linseed; linseed in particular is good for coats too...........

HeresHoping

Visit site
I feed for gut health too. I suspect my boy came with ulcers - or the start of them, he hadn't had a very nice time of things. He was very girthy (think needing to be scraped off the ceiling if you did it up too fast), pulled faces and snapped teeth when being groomed in all the tell-tale spots, reacted badly to me putting my leg on, and would present his behind in the stable when you approached with a saddle. Within a couple of weeks his poos had firmed up considerably, he was a great deal more relaxed, and he stopped swinging his bum. Squitty poos are a thing of the past and he actually has some bed left in the morning.

I also feed for his feet, and I believe that this, and the micronised linseed, are the reason he has a forelock again.

I tbs night and morning.

gill84

Visit site
So a lot of you feed for gut problems or as a calmer. Sounds like it's also fed for coat condition so can't hurt to put my 2 on it. My old mare came back from her loan home before Xmas looking her age (20). I've got her weight back on but still feels she lacks a sparkle. Brewers yeast and linseed oil maybe?
As for the 3 year old it can't do him any harm and see how his sweet itch goes. I got him a rug last year but it didn't last long so only want to rug him as a last resort

sueonmull

Visit site
I fed brewers yeast along with seaweed meal as horse was on a low calcium diet so I couldn't give broad spectrum vit/mineral supplement. Used 35g a day (50ml scoop) not expensive and good for gut health too.