Who hacks out with their dogs?

Dizzle

Visit site
Yes, it's the road work that worries me but where I am there is very little in the way of road work, just one crossing and I'll have his lead out with us for this. I'm going to invest in one of these as my secret dog attention attracting weapon
$(KGrHqJHJB!E8e782CmdBPP8ryVMeg~~60_35.JPG

When we were out yesterday he was in his hi-viz jacket but I may invest in a hi-viz harness that way I can pick him up easily if I need to (the advantages of having a 13.2 pony, a light dog and long arms! :D)

Trying to add a picture but not sure I can without a photobucket type account???

Last edited:

wench

Visit site
I wouldn't personally I think it's dangerous and an accident waiting to happen.

If I had my own estate/farm I might consider it

MadisonBelle

Visit site
I love hacking out with my dogs! We have no roads so it's fab hacking! Mine are Jack Russells and I've just started leaving the older one back in the stable whilst I hack as she was struggling to keep up :( The younger one, who is more like a Parsonage Terrier loves it! Yesterday I cantered out for ages with him keeping pace beside us. The dogs love it!

In fact a couple of years ago when I went on holiday I had a friend house and dog sit for me. She also goes to our stables so also took my dogs out hacking. One day they passed another friend who was riding my horse and it was only some few minutes later when she realised my taller dog wasn't with them anymore...... Yep he'd gone off with my horse :)

ExmoorHunter

Visit site
I take my terrier all the time. He loves it and has done it since a 6 month old pup - it's his job now to accompany us wherever, whenever. We are lucky as we have the moor, loads of bridleways and quiet lanes. Sadly my older terrier won't come now and it's difficult to find time to walk dogs as well as exercise horses this time of year.

Meems

Visit site
There's nothing I like better than hacking out on my horse with my little dog trotting behind me. She's a Yorkshire terrier so not really the 'usual' type of dog you see out with a horse. She's amazingly fit though and just follows behind at a sensible distance, stopping to have a good sniff and wee every so often. She doesn't 'do' hot weather or rain though. It's an excellent way of getting both my animals exercised at the same time!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Some of my dogs will come with me, it's up to them if they want to come or not. A couple of them come some of the way and then beggar off. The collies and the shepherds will usually come, and sometimes one of the Akbash will come but the other two tend to come part way and then one goes back to the house and the other wanders off and rambles around the forest on her own; those two are always home before I get back.

Clodagh

Visit site
How on earth do you all manage with the poo bags ?

The day I live somewhere I have to use a poo bag is, I'm afraid the last day I will have a dog. I am very spoiled. My dog doesn't even poo in my garden, she jumps out, jumps into m-in-laws garden and has a crap on her lawn, every morning!!
TBF I only ride on my own land with my dog as she is a complete dimwit with cars.

Spring Feather

Visit site
The day I live somewhere I have to use a poo bag is, I'm afraid the last day I will have a dog. I am very spoiled. My dog doesn't even poo in my garden, she jumps out, jumps into m-in-laws garden and has a crap on her lawn, every morning!!
Lol too funny!! :biggrin3: I'm the same as you; gawd imagine having to walk and pick up poop from 7 large dogs a number of times a day, no thanks!

JCW

Visit site
Twenty years ago I used to ride out with my Dalmatian. He used to pace perfectly by the side of my horse. If I had to go on the road, I would put him on the lead and ride the horse. Used to hack out for miles with him. When I got back into horses last year I had dreams again of hacking out with current dog however never came about as roads are now to busy, horse too spooky, couldn't cope with the pooh bags and riding and although horse doesn't mind dog, dog is scared of horse!

Irishdan

Visit site
My other half regularly takes all our dogs (7) out hacking along the beach, even at night with a head torch, luckily involves no road work at all. Generally we always have at least two of our pack out with us riding. :)

Last edited: