Who has a round pen?

Dogandbone

Visit site
Anyone out there with a Round Pen? If so, what surface have you put down in it, how long ago and are you happy with it?
I need to be able to use it straight away, and lunge as well as brief turnout periods for big horses and small too!!
Any help gratefully received!

JillA

Visit site
I did (sold it as I now have a manege) and it was on grass (a level reasonably drained area). As it was closed off when not in use it didn't get poached but the grass was good because I could use it to introduce new horses, leave horses in who needed to learn to be caught etc. I did mostly groundwork in it, didn't ride much. I was told by a contractor that land drains for one are more expensive than a manege because of the shape, they need a lot more drains.

Dogandbone

Visit site
Mine is all done and ready to go, but need to put a surface on it, and running short on time now - I want to use it in this horrid weather lol!! Have loads of drains, and it has been done for about 3 weeks now and not a puddle in sight! A local chap who
understands drainage etc, so it has cost very little to do - Can afford a decent surface, but not an extravagant one haha!

popsdosh

Visit site
Mine is all done and ready to go, but need to put a surface on it, and running short on time now - I want to use it in this horrid weather lol!! Have loads of drains, and it has been done for about 3 weeks now and not a puddle in sight! A local chap who
understands drainage etc, so it has cost very little to do - Can afford a decent surface, but not an extravagant one haha!

Have you PP for it because as soon as you put a surface in it you will need it.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Probably the most useful bit of kit we have. Cost very little as I found a source of odd length posts (cancelled order for raspberry cane supports!) and got my fencing contractor to bash them in (32 I think) when he was here doing another job. My soil is almost pure sand so I am using natural drainage. It is sited next to an open field ditch and I'm a surveyor, so it works! The surface may need supplementing in the future. I intend to use pea gravel -- about £15/tonne collected.

Go to the site below and scroll down. The Internet is very slow at the moment and it is taking ages for the pictures to load:

http://www.morrichhighlandponies.co.uk/newprojects.htm

Dry Rot

Visit site
If there is a standard, I think it is 60 foot diameter. I often think we could use a smaller one and one day I might get around to building one. But I would still want the 60ft one.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Anyone out there with a Round Pen? If so, what surface have you put down in it, how long ago and are you happy with it?
I need to be able to use it straight away, and lunge as well as brief turnout periods for big horses and small too!!
Any help gratefully received!

We do but it is in the field and just has grass over it

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I have one but its huge and not a wire pen its wooden boards quite high so I can keep the horses attention and some off the fresh ones kick out at it so wouldn't want wire holes off any size. We have sand down and use it to lunge and back the youngsters