Who has a second job onto of a full time job?

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I am considering a second job of about 10 hours a week (2, 5 hours shifts in the evening) This would be on top of my 36 hour a week full time job (that isnt very busy) Just wondering what others do?

Thanks

rubysmum

Visit site
Have nearly always had a second job on top of 40 hr a week one, ranging from p/time youth work, 2 evenings a week, to sun shifts at a race yard and current 2hrs, 5 nights a week. Personally, I prefer to do extra in the evenings and still have 2 days off at week end.

AmiRobertson

Visit site
I have three jobs! But they are very flexible. I work as a nanny 3 days per week (average 12hr day) plus one nights babysitting. I have my own business as a wedding photographer which is only in its second year (hopefully this will be full time by 2014!) and I also do a few hours dog walking a week. I have generally got some sort of work to do everyday but it also works out that I get to ride 4 days and then 1 evening with my friend at the yard in the school. Plus I love my jobs so I am very very lucky :)

WelshD

Visit site
I've worked evenings in a call centre on top of a full time job in the past

It worked very well but after a year I was so tired that I applied myself to getting a promotion in my day job to get the extra money instead which worked better lol

tasel

Visit site
I have one full-time job and one freelance. Considering giving up the freelance though to free up some time, and work on a project that is 100% mine.

Be warned though - most people can only do the two jobs at once for a limited time, and then burn out.

AMW

Visit site
I work full time & do 2 shifts a week in a pub. Some days between the 2 I work 15 hours and have to be start at 9am the next day. We have our ponies at home and sometimes I am totally knackered. I was doing 3 shifts at the pub but dropped the weekend one recently & feel 100 x better for it. I work over 5 over 7 in my f/t job so no set days off. We have managed a full show season, my partner does the ponies too :)
Be careful it can get too much

skint1

Visit site
Over the years I've had a few 2nd jobs on top of my normal full time job, did waitressing, bar work and office cleaning. It was hard but got me out of some tight spots- but I didn't have horses then.

dollface

Visit site
I have 3 jobs! I work full time as a trainer for Social Services (37 hr week). I carry a case load of learners for the college. At the moment I am just finishing 37 learners off doing a 10 unit level 2 mental health award and have 3 doing a level 3 end of life qualification (all distance learning) and have 11 learners doing an online level 2 equality and diversity qual. I also study part time as am training to become a futher education teacher. I do have a horse but hes only 3 so not doing too much at the mo but on DIY livery. Yes Im mad and do get heavily taxed but I enjoy what I do.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
You still get taxed 20% but you dont get your tax free allowance so it feels like a lot more.

The job I am looking at will give me around an extra £50 ish a week which will be so helpful right now! Its only for a few months to top up my savings and pay for a good Christmas. I hate being poor and I have no back up cash anymore. xx

BBP

Visit site
I work full time (37hrs) for the government (plus lots of overtime at the moment as I do incident response) plus I work as a fitness instructor for my own business, which usually adds up to an extra 8hrs a week teaching, 4 hours extra travel and 2-3hrs a week planning and doing paperwork/admin, so 15 hours in the second job on top.

I only teach 2 nights a week, so on those days I get up at 5am to ride, get to work for 8am til 4, then my sister does my horse for me whilst I work second job and get home at 11pm. The other 3 evenings a week I get to ride in the evening so I don't burn out too much, and I do my paperwork/emails in the emails whilst dinner is on.

Hardest part is fitting my own training in so that I am at the top of what I do in the fitness industry. I have to fit in around everything else.

I occasionally get close to burnout, at that point I try to give pony a few days off to take the pressure off, i've realised it doesn't hurt him and a lot of the time he is much better in the school as a result of me not being so knackered or stressed.

Cocorules

Visit site
I have done it in the past and I would do it again if I needed the money. I currently work a fair few hours above full time in my job. I find I can do a second job for a few years but get to a point where I need to reduce the hours again to stay sane! As I get older I find it harder.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Yes, I did it for a year then had to stop as I started night school for 3years. I worked a full time job and 3-5 shifts at my local co-op including a saturday for a few hours. I had Seren on DIY and managed, it was a rush at times but I managed

coloredred

Visit site
I considered it but I'm full time (40 hours with no breaks) in a pub and on my feet all the time. If I ride I get home from the stables after work at about 8pm, have a few hours to myself then have to go to be because I'm knackered! I think if I worked in say an office not on my feet for so long I might be able to cope with a couple of shifts somewhere else.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Well I applied for the job I was looking at. I'm thinking, I dont really need the job but the extra money would most definitely come in handy. So if I get it, great, extra cash. If not, extra time :O) xx