Who has a solution saddle

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The 5 is still only a 17.5" which is what she has had in treed saddles. They say it matters less in the solution anyway. I could stay with the 4 if I had to but the beauty of being able to try it is that I can try it. She is the type of horse that makes her feelings on the subject very clear indeed. Hard to imagine she spent her first five years in Ireland where I doubt expensive saddles and dead sheep featured much on her back!!

She actually has plenty of length of back, the problem is she has very active shoulders and a long sloping wither which needs to be taken into account with a treed saddle. I've had a lot of different fitters look at her recently and this is the general consensus. It would seem that the Solution may indeed be the solution for this and still allow me the flexibility of a jump saddle. That said, she had a wow on last week and their pointyfree tree and split front panels also definitely accommodated the shoulder with no problem. I'm sure from recent fittings, many saddles would accommodate it but finding one second hand or a fitter who does a trial situation such as this is not easy.

Like you say GW most of it is down to the fitter and this one seems very keen to make sure it's right rather than telling me it's me or the horse that is at fault as some may do. I would highly recommend a trial. It's a lot cheaper than most saddle fitters charge just to come out and tell you if your saddle fits or not so I think there is little to lose in doing it.

I'm planing to have my physio look at the saddle (from a body comfort rather than a fit perspective) / her back/girth etc at the end of the trial as well so I will feel I've ticked all the boxes in terms of making sure it's right for her.

She will then reward me by winning 90cms BS again :D

Last edited:

BlackRider

Visit site
I'm following this thread with interest.

FW, I thought you were tall, too. Is a size 4 big enough? According to this chart, at 5ft 10 ins tall I'd need the largest size, a 6. Certainly don't fancy paying out all that dosh and getting an uncomfortable saddle, no matter how good the fit on the horse...

Rider height Ladies
DRESS SIZE Gentlemen
WAIST SIZE Solution saddle Tradition saddle
up to 5'2" below 6 below 28 3 17
up to 5'4" 6 to 8 28 to 30 3/4 17/17.5
up to 5'6" 10 to 12 32 to 34 4 17.5
up to 5'8" 14 to 16 36 to 38 5 18
up to 5'10" 18 to 20 40 to 42 6 18.5

I'm 5'9 and a size 10, and the size 4 was fine for me (although my horse didn't like it so i sold it).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just to interject - the saddles come with a vast array of pads to get the right fit, which will be individual to each horse. For example, FW may have used a combination of a couple of pads to get the right fit, whereas I only needed two small pads on either side to get the right fit.

My mare has less muscle along the left of her spine than the right I have an additional thin shim to use on that side which has solved the problem and made us both more comfortable than any of the other saddles we have used

Kat

Visit site
I'm following this thread with interest.

FW, I thought you were tall, too. Is a size 4 big enough? According to this chart, at 5ft 10 ins tall I'd need the largest size, a 6. Certainly don't fancy paying out all that dosh and getting an uncomfortable saddle, no matter how good the fit on the horse...

Rider height Ladies
DRESS SIZE Gentlemen
WAIST SIZE Solution saddle Tradition saddle
up to 5'2" below 6 below 28 3 17
up to 5'4" 6 to 8 28 to 30 3/4 17/17.5
up to 5'6" 10 to 12 32 to 34 4 17.5
up to 5'8" 14 to 16 36 to 38 5 18
up to 5'10" 18 to 20 40 to 42 6 18.5

That is a very rough guide, it depends upon thigh length and bottom size as well as height. My husband is 6ft2 with long legs and a size 5 is plenty big enough.

Procrastination

Visit site
I'm really interested in these saddles and toying with the idea of getting one...but, one thing that worries me is the gullet for spinal clearance. It seems very narrow in all the pictures I've seen? And whilst I'm sure having a gullet is better than no gullet at all it is so narrow that surely there is still some pressure being applied to either side of the spine with the rider on board? I'd be interested to know what other people think about this...I'm only worrying about it because my Physio told me I need to make sure whatever saddle I get for my mate has plenty of clearance for the spine as it's quite wide - this was in reference to tree'd saddles though.

LHIS

Visit site
I'm really interested in these saddles and toying with the idea of getting one...but, one thing that worries me is the gullet for spinal clearance. It seems very narrow in all the pictures I've seen? And whilst I'm sure having a gullet is better than no gullet at all it is so narrow that surely there is still some pressure being applied to either side of the spine with the rider on board? I'd be interested to know what other people think about this...I'm only worrying about it because my Physio told me I need to make sure whatever saddle I get for my mate has plenty of clearance for the spine as it's quite wide - this was in reference to tree'd saddles though.

Give them a call direct - they will be able to answer your questions and Charlotte in their office is very helpful.

Procrastination

Visit site
Give them a call direct - they will be able to answer your questions and Charlotte in their office is very helpful.

Thanks, I might do that :) although I do feel a bit bad about asking them directly as I know I definitely won't be able to afford to buy brand new from them, will be a second hand one if I can find the right one

LHIS

Visit site
Thanks, I might do that :) although I do feel a bit bad about asking them directly as I know I definitely won't be able to afford to buy brand new from them, will be a second hand one if I can find the right one

Don't be. They also sell ex-demo ones which are usually a few hundred quid cheaper than brand new, and their fitters can often source second hand ones too.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The fit isn't the same as a treed saddle. The gullet on the one I have is very wide. Much wider than the treed saddle she had. It sits a lot lower however (and makes her a lot happier!).

I've got a physio appointment booked now and will have ridden in it daily for 18 days for an average of 2 hours per day by the appointment. This includes jumping about 4 times a week, I will have been xc schooling two days before and plenty of hacking as well as schooling. The physio knows Daisy and I feel this will be the final piece of the jigsaw as to whether I go ahead and buy this saddle.

I would really recommend the fitting and rental options. You could have one on trial for 2 weeks and it would cost you about £150 all in plus postage to send it back. You could then look out for a second hand one the same.

My fitting lasted 4.5 hours and there were 6 saddles for me to try.

I'm kind of under pressure as I've got to get a saddle for this horse asap, if I already had a useable one, I would take my time to get a second hand one. I am planning to buy a dressage saddle second hand if I see one come up. They don't seem to hold their value very well probably as they are a niche market and nearly new ones are a lot cheaper but as I said I'm not in a position to wait and frankly the pleasure I've had just renting this saddle and getting my horse out and about has made the rental very worthwhile!

Last edited:

hc123

Visit site

There's an "unofficial solutions saddles" FB group which is useful for picking up second hand ones. All fully acceptable to Solutions Saddles, they will check they are genuine saddles and will also send out fitters to fit them.

Procrastination

Visit site
The fit isn't the same as a treed saddle. The gullet on the one I have is very wide. Much wider than the treed saddle she had. It sits a lot lower however (and makes her a lot happier!).

I've got a physio appointment booked now and will have ridden in it daily for 18 days for an average of 2 hours per day by the appointment. This includes jumping about 4 times a week, I will have been xc schooling two days before and plenty of hacking as well as schooling. The physio knows Daisy and I feel this will be the final piece of the jigsaw as to whether I go ahead and buy this saddle.

I would really recommend the fitting and rental options. You could have one on trial for 2 weeks and it would cost you about £150 all in plus postage to send it back. You could then look out for a second hand one the same.

My fitting lasted 4.5 hours and there were 6 saddles for me to try.

I'm kind of under pressure as I've got to get a saddle for this horse asap, if I already had a useable one, I would take my time to get a second hand one. I am planning to buy a dressage saddle second hand if I see one come up. They don't seem to hold their value very well probably as they are a niche market and nearly new ones are a lot cheaper but as I said I'm not in a position to wait and frankly the pleasure I've had just renting this saddle and getting my horse out and about has made the rental very worthwhile!

It'll be really interesting to see how your Physio visit goes - keep us updated :)

I think I will get in touch with my local fitter, good to know that they will come out and got a second hand one. A trial would be really handy, £1k is a lot of money to spend on something you've never tried before!

Am now on the unofficial FB page so fingers crossed a bargain comes up :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Good plan, I wouldn't buy second hand without a fitting to get an idea of what you want. I tried 5 and didn't like any of them then sat in number 6 and though ah ha! So did the horse. My other horse thought get this thing off me I hate it! She might like another base or whatever but she won't be getting one so I don't know.

Charlie31

Visit site
I've been following this thread with interest as I posted last week about saddle ideas for my own horse and Solution Saddles was suggested by you then FfionWinnie. Your trial seems to be going very well so now I am even more interested! The one thing that worries me about the Solutions is that I'm pretty sure I'd end up having to go for a saddle length that would extend beyond my horse's last rib. I know they say on the website that this isn't a problem with their saddles but I don't really understand why. Can anybody explain this for me please?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think because they haven't a tree that would transfer the weight back, so it depends more on where you butt stops? that would be my guess anyway!

ponyparty

Visit site
My loan horse has a Solution saddle.

I like it because you can really feel him moving underneath you. It looks smart, doesn't feel like I imagined a treeless would feel, doesn't look cheap and nasty like some of them can.

I dislike it because the stirrup bars seem slightly too set forward, so I feel like I am tipping backward when my feet are in the stirrups. When you look at the saddle when dismounted, it does look like it is tipiing your weight backwards.

Having said that, the saddle fitter came out recently to check it, and it was checked with his owner on board, not me, So perhaps it just doesn't suit my weight distribution or something.

But my instructor said (and she made a point of saying that she does not EVER blame tack for rider error) that it really appears to be tipping me back slightly.

Also - horse is a fat cob (and this is unlikely to change as owner insists stuffing him with hay) so if I get on without a mounting block - or even sometimes WITH a mounting block - the saddle can slip, even with the girth done up so tight it is rippling his fat middle. So that is an annoyance for me, but on a more horse-like and less barrel-like horse this mightn't be a problem.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I spoke to the fitter today so asked about the larger seat size thing. She said within reason it's not an issue because it wouldn't make you sit on the wrong part of the back as it's flexible unlike a treed saddle. It would be different if they were trying to put me on a 12.2 but as I am the correct size for Daisy, she doesn't forsee an issue. I'm 5ft8 and Daisy is 14.2 but really a 15.2 with short legs. My need for a larger seat is to accommodate my legs not my butt so it should all be good.

Pony party sounds like you should have a play around with shims (which you could do yourself or you could get solution/the fitter to advise via email) to get it to feel better for you. I was amazed the difference the shims made to the feel for me (they are just thin velcro pads).

Interestingly had the best ever ride in it tonight with my own saddle cloth (le mieux) and an Eskadron lambskin and no shims. I think the earlier firmness issue was just because it was brand new.

Cobbychic

Visit site
So I'm in day 3 of trial. Sunday day one and fitting day. Dylan seemed so much more forward and elivated shoulder. Day 2 went for pootle round the block and Dylan was forward and striding out. Me however not so comfortable and really got a numb bum! Also, didn't feel as secure as normal but maybe this is me just having to get used to different saddle. Day 3, schooled for 30 mins and Dylan seemed a bit stuffy tonight. Not as forward and in canter head high and hollow through back.
Do you think this is him just getting used to different feel? I'm trialling an eventer size 5

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Is it a brand new saddle? Definitely taken me over a week to think it's not hard when I first get on. I'm getting the 5 on Thurs and it's apparently new as well so will be interesting to see if it's firm to start with as well!

PollyP99

Visit site
My loan horse has a Solution saddle.

I dislike it because the stirrup bars seem slightly too set forward, so I feel like I am tipping backward when my feet are in the stirrups.

But my instructor said (and she made a point of saying that she does not EVER blame tack for rider error) that it really appears to be tipping me back slightly.

Also - horse is a fat cob (and this is unlikely to change as owner insists stuffing him with hay) so if I get on without a mounting block - or even sometimes WITH a mounting block - the saddle can slip, even with the girth done up so tight it is rippling his fat middle. So that is an annoyance for me, but on a more horse-like and less barrel-like horse this mightn't be a problem.

IMO you should NEVER mount without a mounting block in a treeless saddle, always going to slip unless you are very nimble, I wouldnt dream of trying. Second, the saddle should nit look tipped back, maybe over shimmed in front, simple to solve, remove the shim.

ponyparty

Visit site
Ffionwinnie - thanks, it's not long since the fitter came out to check it though and said it was fine with his owner up top. So just wondering if our weight is distributed differently or something, we are very different in build. Wish I'd asked if she could have a look at the saddle with me in it, as she may have been able to offer a solution then. Didn't think it would be an issue at the time though!

PollyP99 - I don't usually mount from the ground, I worded it really stupidly (damn trying to doss around on HHO whilst meant to be working..!). What I meant was, if I ever had to get on from the ground (very unlikely, would only be if I'd had to get off whilst hacking and even then I always try to find at least SOMETHING to boost me up a bit), the saddle slips, but it does also sometimes happen when using a mounting block. We only have a small mounting block in one school so it's almost as bad as not using one at all, but we do have a higher one in the other school, so I try to just use the higher one as less likelihood of slippage!

I wish I could just remove the shim in front to try it, but the shims appear to be one piece, so I can't remove the front ones (or replace with thinner ones) without doing the back ones too. I perhaps could look into getting some totally new ones... I have no idea how much they cost though, or whether I'd have to get the fitter back out. It's not my saddle or my horse, it's a 3 day per week loan and I already feel like owner thinks I interfere too much - think I have to just work with the tools I am given.

:)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The shims on mine were for me not the horse. You could just mention to the owner that you read something that made you think and would they mind you having a play around. You could use any shim pad to do this, or even stick something soft under the saddle to give you an idea of feel. Then you could just have your own shim pad for when you ride the horse and she uses her one. It absolutely is balanced to you and what you find comfortable.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Had a really good lesson today and jump coach didn't twig it was treeless til near the end. He thought she looked a lot happier and was moving more forward.

He did ask what happens when the leather softens up, does the whole thing get softer and softer. I didn't know the answer to that!