Who has a solution saddle

ponyparty

Visit site
FfionWinnie, thanks - will try adding a soft pad at the back and see if that stops me tipping backward so much, if so I'll have to look into buying an additional shim.

Interesting comments from your trainer, if he/she wasn't aware that it was a treeless then the comments are unbiased. Being as it seems to make a difference to movement and comfort for the horse, I wonder why more people don't use them. Glad it's working for you and your horse though! I do think, aesthetically, Solution saddles look the nicest of the treeless ones I've seen (though I know aesthetics are not the most important thing!).

Kat

Visit site
Any curvy ladies (size 16) that ride in a size 4? I'm 5'6 and trialling the 5 but feels big

My jumping saddle is a 4 and dressage saddle a 5. I am a bit taller than you but also "curvy" the 4 is a touch small and the 5 a touch big (husband uses this saddle too though) ideally I would like a 4.5!!!! But there isn't much in it, both work well for me.

Cobbychic

Visit site
My jumping saddle is a 4 and dressage saddle a 5. I am a bit taller than you but also "curvy" the 4 is a touch small and the 5 a touch big (husband uses this saddle too though) ideally I would like a 4.5!!!! But there isn't much in it, both work well for me.

Great thanks Kat

What kind of horse do you have and would you recommend?

RedStarBear

Visit site
This thread is really interesting - I'm a new convert to Solution Saddles and don't think I'd go back to a regular treed at this point - so good to hear other people's experiences!

I have a rising 4yo warmblood and she seems to change shape pretty much every day which meant i either needed to tie my lovely saddler to her stable full time or find something new - tried my friend's older model and the girl loved it! Such a noticeable difference in movement (she is very opinionated though lol) and I love how you can feel everything she's doing through the back :D

Having tried a few different styles and bases, I do find there seems to be quite a big difference between them too, both seat size wise and how the base fits the horse so 100% worth the mileage of trying a few out with an official fitter to help out, way cheaper than having to move on something that doesn't fit :(

My friend's Freestyle size 4 fit me well, if a tad short, but needed quite a few shims to lift it high enough off her withers and then stay in balance.

Rode in a size 4 Eventer, fit horse with only a little shimming, loads of wither clearance, but really more of an open seated flat jumping style than I'm used to, but that's just personal preference.

size 4 pro dressage same horse fit, but my knees were right on the front of the flaps even when I kicked my feet out of the stirrups and the seat felt much smaller and flatter than the Freestyle.

size 5 smart sport dressage - looks quite traditional, feels like sitting in an armchair! (a close contact one tho) bit too roomy (like Kat probably go for a 4.5 to be perfect!). Horse fit wise, having experimented with shims in the panels and externally, I'd have to say externally is more effective with the panel ones OK for permanent fine-tuning, wouldn't want to go rummaging in there every few days to move things around, would def. end up stretching the 'envelope' out and probably damaging it, can see how it would then be unstable and uncomfortable for the horse. Can see why they've gone back to sew in gullets. less to go wrong.

I settled on a great second hand version of the latter and use it with a leMieux sheepskin pad (fluff directly on the coat) instead of the long dorsal shims (princess-and-the-pea pony has super sensitive skin). The wool is dense and bouncy enough to offer proper support etc... add small shoulder shims that seem to happily velcro themselves to the material of the pad = happy pony and nicely balanced rider!... I've added in little panel shims under the seatbones as she's going up in front again to keep us in balance. love it.
This was all checked and fitted by a Solutions fitter, we tried a few different gear scenarios and went back to this as for my particular horse and my particular build it works best :D she was really thorough and knowledgeable and I didn't feel there was any 'hard sell' (omg, so refreshing!)

fair disclosure: I'm 6ft with a 36'' leg so find folding myself into pretty much anything difficult (woe is me!) Usually found sporting fashionable 3/4 length jods and trying not to kick pony in the elbows/knees :eek: ... though my friend's 5ft and short legged but we fit the same saddles so don't go much on person size necessarily!

Kat

Visit site
Great thanks Kat

What kind of horse do you have and would you recommend?

My horse is just shy of 16hh and fairly thoroughbred like to fit a saddle to. I love my solution saddles and wouldn't go back to a saddle with a tree. Horse is a sensitive flower but hasn't had any issues in the saddle area when her back has been checked.

I have a size 5 smart sport V2 dressage and a size 4 original smart jumping saddle. I would love a more up to date jumping saddle but can't afford it at the moment. Husband rides in the dressage saddle for all activities and prior to buying the jumping saddle I hunted and jumped in the dressage saddle.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
This is a short and painful update.

I tried the size five. I jumped 1.5 rounds in it. Fell off and broke my ribs. At. The. Fitting. 😳:eek:

The 5 fits me a lot better. So I'm renting it now, although obviously I'm not riding, I'm getting others to ride in it and hope to be able to make a decision some day when less incapacitated/I can walk/perhaps sit on my horse again etc etc

Some pics.

Just before I fell off!

104051C5-4F31-4E59-B182-292B420E9BB0_zpsnkals5xo.png

Size 4:

580B6844-2D43-4F26-932E-E813A035A38B_zpsxiz10g9z.jpg

Size 5:

7ECCC82E-C066-4923-A252-97DA0A695003_zpsc02n0i7i.jpg

Will get better pics when I can.

LHIS

Visit site
Oh no :( feel better soon FW. Glad you found a good fit though - and get to give it a good go once your ribs are healed.
Out of interest - were you wearing a BP or air packet when you fell?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Oh no :( feel better soon FW. Glad you found a good fit though - and get to give it a good go once your ribs are healed.
Out of interest - were you wearing a BP or air packet when you fell?

No, I wasn't (don't tell my Mum!). I don't think a BP would have helped actually as the force was concentrated on one side and a BP would not have changed that but I will be investing in an air jacket now as I do think that would have made a difference.

Ridiculously my boss, who doesn't even really ride, fell off last week and broke his ribs too. He was wearing a BP and blames it for making it worse. At the time I thought how could you possibly fall off like that and break your ribs - now I know!

Street_Skill

Visit site
This is a short and painful update.

I tried the size five. I jumped 1.5 rounds in it. Fell off and broke my ribs. At. The. Fitting. ��:eek:

The 5 fits me a lot better. So I'm renting it now, although obviously I'm not riding, I'm getting others to ride in it and hope to be able to make a decision some day when less incapacitated/I can walk/perhaps sit on my horse again etc etc

Oh no! What a frustrating update FW! I'm really sorry that you are suffering at the moment, but you can see from the picture of the size 5 that there will be much more room for a longer thigh. Fingers crossed you are feeling better soon so you can give it a good trial!

LHIS

Visit site
Yes true, I think the traditional BPs have their disadvantages with certain types of fall. The air jackets are great though and obviously not nearly as restrictive.
Also, love the navy blue saddle cloth, looks like the le Mieux jump? 😍

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Oh no! What a frustrating update FW! I'm really sorry that you are suffering at the moment, but you can see from the picture of the size 5 that there will be much more room for a longer thigh. Fingers crossed you are feeling better soon so you can give it a good trial!

Everyone who is going to be riding her is taller than me so I felt I may as well bash on with seeing if the 5 is ok on her. Yes there was a lot more leg room. A good couple of holes worth although I didn't get as far as to actually try putting my stirrups up!

Yes true, I think the traditional BPs have their disadvantages with certain types of fall. The air jackets are great though and obviously not nearly as restrictive.
Also, love the navy blue saddle cloth, looks like the le Mieux jump? 😍

Yes it is the denim one along with an Eskadron lambskin underlay, I found the CC pad shape ideal for the 4. It's just big enough for the 5 but would be too small for the 6.

Is it just the angle of the photo, or does the seat of the size 5 look like it would tip you back in the saddle, ie put your butt too close to the cantle?

How're the ribs today, FW?

Think it's the photo. The thing is the saddle flexes round you once you are in it as well. If you felt tipped back you could add some shims. I fell out the side door so don't think it tipped me back :eek:

I've actually got the 4 at home tonight as the poor (heavily pregnant!) fitter had to untack and load my horse for me while I lay on the ground (who knew rubber was quite so painful to lie on!) waiting for an ambulance and she obviously didn't know which one I preferred. We are swapping them tomorrow so can try and get some better pics of them both.

Not as bad as yesterday but incredibly painful. I'm on cocodamol and ibuprofen and the cocodamol makes me ill but is definitely needed in tandem at the moment. Thanks for asking!

Procrastination

Visit site
Just wondering how you're getting on with the saddle now Ffion? I hope you're ribs are a little less painful!! Also wondering if you've had your visit fro the Physio yet and if so what did she think?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Just wondering how you're getting on with the saddle now Ffion? I hope you're ribs are a little less painful!! Also wondering if you've had your visit fro the Physio yet and if so what did she think?

I had to cancel the physio because I just couldn't take the horse there. I'm in a lot of pain :(

FA5ACBE4-497E-46E5-86A2-C0115BF17D71_zpsjseu7nuq.png

SJ coach rode her yesterday for me. He thought the 5 too big for him and he's bigger than me so I'm pretty much decided I'm going to buy the 4. He thought it was a bit odd to ride in but the horse is clearly liking it and it will just be a case of getting used to it. I found the 4 perfectly fine to ride in and wouldn't have known it was treeless.

Friend who is also taller has been riding her in the 5 and she also thought she preferred the 4.

Procrastination

Visit site
Ahhh what a bummer :( fingers crossed you start to improve soon.

Interesting about the sizes though...I'm 5'4" so looking for a size 4 but I do wonder if I would be OK in a 3.... Have been in touch with an advisor so hopefully will be getting a fitting done soon

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Rather a nice view from the arena!
At least you have been able to get some extra people to say what they think about the 5. Personally my non expert eye thinks the 4 looks better for both of you, the 5 does look like there is a lot to get lost in. How many years until minime is fully trailer trained? :p

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Ahhh what a bummer :( fingers crossed you start to improve soon.

Interesting about the sizes though...I'm 5'4" so looking for a size 4 but I do wonder if I would be OK in a 3.... Have been in touch with an advisor so hopefully will be getting a fitting done soon

I think it depends on the saddle too as the smart jump 4 was too small for me. My instructor is well over 6ft. He says he rarely gets on a clients horse and finds a saddle too big.

Rather a nice view from the arena!
At least you have been able to get some extra people to say what they think about the 5. Personally my non expert eye thinks the 4 looks better for both of you, the 5 does look like there is a lot to get lost in. How many years until minime is fully trailer trained? :p

Kilgraston girls school. I think the fact I fell off the 5 is making me lean back to the 4 too!!

I'm going to make her ride Daisy on the lunge today for me :D

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Just thought I would finish off the thread with the news I have now bought the size 4 "Smart Eventer Pro" solution saddle.

0D8B8D86-D480-443F-AB6D-8D7171EFE4FD_zpsxkmb6o43.jpg

580B6844-2D43-4F26-932E-E813A035A38B_zpsxiz10g9z.jpg

My initial comments about it being hard seem to be due to it being new. I've got three people riding in it (none of them me!), all have found it very comfortable as was I the last time I sat in it! They are all taller than me as well and I am 5ft8.

Quick run down of what occurred.

Had a fitting, which should cost £50 but I went to the fitters yard so it was £35 (this was refunded when I bought the saddle).

I took the 4 on trial which ended up being for three weeks (£50 per week but 2 weeks free if I bought saddle). I then tried the 5 and fell off during the fitting and broke my ribs.

SJ coach and friends rode in the 5 and all found it too big (none fell off tho lol) so I decided as I had been happy with the 4 I would just go for it. They then sent me the 4 back again and I returned the 5. I only had to pay to return the 5.

For the saddle, knee and thigh blocks (think I've got special knee blocks which they did some sort of swap in deal with as you get some with it), the very smart waterproof fleece lined saddle cover pictured, a saddle cloth with extra Velcro to hold their shims if I desired in the future, although I am actually using my own various saddle cloths with no shims or anything special at all, and an air link for the air jacket I am going to be purchasing (!) and thigh blocks and the extra weeks rental it's cost me £2,150 all in. I actually had the saddles for longer than 3 weeks but they didn't charge for 1.5 weeks while saddles were swapped around. I have had a saddle all the time since the initial consultation. The customer service couldn't have been better and I felt completely happy with my choice after a good trial.

Here is a vid of my coach jumping her last week in the saddle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ROjyNvBG-w

Keep in mind he is over 6ft and Daisy is 14.2.

Had a funny convo with my other instructor today which went like this-

Instructor (who is sitting on Daisy at the time) "she rides a lot bigger than she looks doesn't she, like a 16.2 rather than a 15.2"

Me "Umm she is 14.2"

Instructor "Really?! Looks down. Yeah I suppose it's not that far to the ground is it!"

(I pointed out it still hurts when you fall off!)

Last edited:

Street_Skill

Visit site
This is great news. I thought that the Solution might be the answer for you and I'm so pleased that it has worked out that way. Here's to many happy years of riding! :)

P.S. she looks fab in the video!

Procrastination

Visit site
She looks ace in the video! And she really does look like she could be 15.2, especially if your instructor is 6ft! How does he find the saddle?

I've bought one now, second hand native GP. Arrived today so had our first ride in it tonight, really really happy with it and my pony was walking out better than she has in a long time. She seemed to like it so im hopeful for the future at this point! I've got a solutions fitter coming out hopefully next week to fit it properly :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
This is great news. I thought that the Solution might be the answer for you and I'm so pleased that it has worked out that way. Here's to many happy years of riding! :)

P.S. she looks fab in the video!

Thank you, and also for the other info. :)

She looks ace in the video! And she really does look like she could be 15.2, especially if your instructor is 6ft! How does he find the saddle?

I've bought one now, second hand native GP. Arrived today so had our first ride in it tonight, really really happy with it and my pony was walking out better than she has in a long time. She seemed to like it so im hopeful for the future at this point! I've got a solutions fitter coming out hopefully next week to fit it properly :)

Yes she is really 15.2 with short legs lol. He is well over 6ft but looks better on her than my 15.2 Welsh cob!

He found the size 5 too big and said this never happens to him, he will ride in the 4 next week. He thinks the saddle being too big for me is why I fell off, that I didn't spend long enough getting used to it before jumping in it. Which is probably true because I didn't, I just cracked on and went for it! It is a different feel although I felt good riding in the 4, and he did say there isn't much in front of you but I don't remember thinking that. He basically says I can get used to anything so he isn't concerned about the differences. In terms of what he thought of the horse's opinion, he said it is definitely working well for her. Neither of my instructors would be pro "weirdo saddles" I don't think but both of them are impressed with how she is going and both know the intricate details of the problems I've had which I won't go into on here, with previous saddles.

I do think any saddle which actually fitted her, would have worked out fine, but the excellent trial facilities of the solution meant I didn't have to take another massive risk to then find out that it didn't actually fit regardless of what some saddle fitter claimed. I can't praise their customer service enough.

Good luck with yours. I was initially worried about it being different and the fitting etc but it's been a piece of cake!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
She is looking really well in the vid. I'm glad you've got saddles sorted and have found the info on this thread very helpful.

The trial facility Solution Saddles offer is the important part for me, I need to know a saddle is going to work before spending that sort of money and have lost a lot of faith in saddle fitters over the years.

Procrastination

Visit site
What numnahs/saddlecloths are people using with their solutions? I have a mattes gp cut and a mattes dressage cut but neither sit properly under the solution which is a native gp. Ideally I'd like something sheepskin/lambswool and with pockets to add shims if necessary...
Pics would be great if you have them!

springtime1331

Visit site
I have a native dressage and also found mattes sheepskin don't seem to sit well. I'm currently using a premier equine sheepskin and a avacallo gel riser and the PE certainly seems to sit better with the cut of the saddle.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Same here GW. I have bought 3 brand new saddles from traditional fitters, supposedly made to measure and 2 of the 3 never fitted at all, ever.

Procrastination I've been using a le mieux cc pad and an Eskadron lamb skin. I've just started using a griffin nuumed wool numnah I already had and that was fine too.

I'm getting a cc nuumed cloth from solution as I didn't like the way the gp cut one sat. This has extra Velcro loops which attach to the knee rings on the saddle if you want it to and stitching on the girth loops too. I did not find the nuumed one I had on trial (wool lined GP cut) sat very well, it kind of rucked up a bit but the le mieux cc ones don't seem to move.

I'm also going to try my normal saddle cloths (mostly Eskadron) soon. I think the big squares will be ideal as plenty of room and thick enough not to ruck up.

I've got a nuumed wool shim half pad so can try that and let you know how it sits.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I've been following this thread with interest. Ten years ago when I first started using Solution saddles, and posted on here about them, I used to get a certain amount of abuse from traditionalists who thought they were the work of the devil :D It's good to see that more people are embracing them, and that the saddles themselves have been developing continuously. I've horses here that have never had a treed saddle on their backs (one is 11 years old) and it's very interesting to compare their backs with horses who have been ridden in treed ....

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I could take some ..... the most interesting thing though is that there is no "denting" from the panels and no tree point torque behind the shoulder blades, which is so noticeable on horses ridden in treed saddles.